Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > Vulcan Nomad/Vaquero/Voyager

Old 01-26-2017, 09:50 AM   #1

Vulcan Feed back!

Hello All! New to the group. Currently ride a Blvd C50 and I am looking to upgrade to a new bike. Going to be doing some two up riding, thus moving up to something bigger. I have narrowed down my choice to the Nomad or the mean looking Vaquero. I have been reading reviews and all are positive but, would like to know from all of you that are actually on these bikes what are your pros & cons for each model. Still have not decided to go new look or old school yet. Going to get out and sit on each and see how they feel. So let me have it!

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 01-26-2017, 10:13 AM   #2

Welcome Aboard! Either bike is very good, what year are you considering looking at. They are both a great value for the money.

2002 Nomad aka Bountyhunter
VBA #27
VROC #18951

Old 01-26-2017, 10:19 AM   #3
Advanced Member

I'm coming from a C90 to the Vaquero. Only downside I've noticed since I have this is the difference in suspension. The C90 was a lot smoother ride. I wouldn't change getting the Vaquero if I knew this ahead of time. I also take in the fact the difference in weight between the two is almost 200 pounds.

Two up riding is probably going to be more comfortable for the passenger on the Nomad, unless you get a different seat for the Vaquero.

I actually went to the place I bought my bike to look at a nomad. Nice bike, but I mentioned I liked the looks of the Vaquero, and it just so happened they put one on the lot that morning.
PCV (removed)
Ivan's ECU flash

Old 01-26-2017, 10:48 AM   #4

I was reading about the heat issues on the vaquero before '14, so prob '14 and up and the nomad w/in 5yrs, whatever good deal pops up w/low mileage.

Old 01-26-2017, 11:03 AM   #5
Advanced Member

I don't notice the heat that much. Then again, when you're on a black bike, in the Texas summer, stuck in traffic then everything seems hot.
PCV (removed)
Ivan's ECU flash

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 01-26-2017, 11:45 AM   #6

Welcome..........I can't speak for the 1700's but I switched from a C50 to a 1500 Classic in 08' (basically the same bike as the Nomad but without the slick bags). Great bike for those long rides. I put 49K miles on it before realizing that I needed a lighter bike. Switched to the current one, a 15' Kawasaki Versys 650LT.

Old 01-26-2017, 12:25 PM   #7

Welcome from Northern California!

I went from an '05 Nomad to a '15 Voyager. I do like the Voyager much better but I don't know how the Nomad would compare to a Vaquero. Hopefully you will be able to test ride both before you make a purchase.

2005 Vulcan Nomad Sold
2006 Honda 1800 VTX (Freebie) Sold
2008 Harley Ultra Classic Sold
2001 Harley Ultra Classic Sold

Hangtown, Kalifornia

VBA #2625

Old 01-26-2017, 12:32 PM   #8
Top Contributor

Hello and Welcome to the forum.

The pre 2009 Nomads have more room for a rider with a passenger. 2009 and up are more cramped. Buy a Vaquero and you will probably be buying a backrest and a better seat for the passenger.

Old 01-26-2017, 06:42 PM   #9
Advanced Member

The nomad is already set up for passenger comfort. Wider seat, backrest, floorboards, and grab handles. I couldn't get used to looking at the gas tank for the speedo so I added a tachometer between the handlebars and learned what RPM I was at for a given speed. I also got buffeting behind the windshield that was only solved by getting the quick release kit and riding without it.

The Vaquero from the factory is set up as an in-town cool bar hopper bagger. Just enough passenger accommodations to bring a filly home from the honky tonk if you are into that kind of thing.
For two up and higher speed comfortable riding you have to ruin the looks of the bike in order to be comfortable. Two up seat, taller windshield, passenger floorboards, passenger backrest, etc.

For truly two up comfortable riding out of the box, get the Voyager.

By the time you add all the accessories you need on the Vaquero, you could buy a Voyager.

2010 Vulcan Voyager, 2007 Vulcan Mean Streak, 2009 Vulcan Nomad

Old 01-27-2017, 01:21 AM   #10

I went from an M50 to the Voyager. I miss the smaller bike at times but there is no way I would go back. The 1700's wont have the quick throttle response your used to but that can be fixed with having the ECU Ivanized. The ride is sportier on the C50/M50 but much smoother on the 1700. You will also notice the top end is smoother because the engine isn't working as hard.
You wont go wrong with the Nomad, Vaquero, or Voyager. All will be a noticeable upgrade for you and your passenger.

Old 01-27-2017, 08:58 AM   #11

Thanks for all the input, but I do see where once you add all the creature comforts to the vaquero, it takes away from being that mean muscle looking bike. Looks like I have to go out, do some sitting on all three and see what feels good! I'll keep hanging around, just because one of the 3 will be what I upgrade to!

Old 01-27-2017, 09:39 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by vic64 View Post
Thanks for all the input, but I do see where once you add all the creature comforts to the vaquero, it takes away from being that mean muscle looking bike. Looks like I have to go out, do some sitting on all three and see what feels good! I'll keep hanging around, just because one of the 3 will be what I upgrade to!
My dad has a C50 which I have rode numerous times and I have the Vaquero...I definitely would not trade him. I like the size and feel of the Vaquero much better. I did put a mustang seat on it with a slot for the backrest that can be used for driver or passenger. Passengers seem to be very comfortable. Easy to swap backrest positions or remove completely. I did also add a taller windshield. It is a great touring bike. My friend has the voyager...great too but I'm just not a huge fan of the trunk look. For my purposes I don't need that extra storage. Whichever way you go I don't think you'll be disappointed.

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk

Old 01-27-2017, 10:42 AM   #13
Advanced Member

I'll also add that coming off 3 drive shaft bikes to my first belt drive, I couldn't believe how smooth it is.
PCV (removed)
Ivan's ECU flash

Old 01-27-2017, 12:15 PM   #14
Advanced Member

Currently have a 1500 nomad and my wife loves it. I have added a few creature comforts such as a trunk with backrest. Wife likes the wider trunk pad way better than the stock backrest. For 2 up riding of any distance keep an eye on passenger comfort or you will be miserable.

Old 01-28-2017, 09:00 AM   #15

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by vic64 View Post
Hello All! New to the group. Currently ride a Blvd C50 and I am looking to upgrade to a new bike. Going to be doing some two up riding, thus moving up to something bigger. I have narrowed down my choice to the Nomad or the mean looking Vaquero. I have been reading reviews and all are positive but, would like to know from all of you that are actually on these bikes what are your pros & cons for each model. Still have not decided to go new look or old school yet. Going to get out and sit on each and see how they feel. So let me have it!
Greetings Vic and Welcome!

I have not had a C bike, however, have had both the 1700 Nomad and Vaquero (x2).
For two up comfort, the Nomad is easier to get there. More available seat/backrest combinations. While backrest and seat options are becoming more available for the VAQ, there are more out there for the Nomad.
The 1700 engine is essentially the same between the bikes, so not much discussion there. The biggest differences are up front.
The shield vs frame mounted fairing, which impacts the placement of controls, gauges, etc. The weight difference impacts handling and maneuvering. The Vaq is heavier of course, so the Nomad can feel more nimble.
The Nomad was a great bike. Put lots of worry free miles on her. The Vaq is easier to ride long distances. Don't have to look down as far to see gauges; speed, fuel, etc. For me the decision would be based on: Am I going to do more two up riding? Or: Am I doing more distance riding?
My bride rides her own (Vaq), and we do some good trips each summer.
Sorry for the rambling...

Whichever way you go, either bike is a solid choice. There is of course the Voyager, which give you the best of both...
2012 Victory Crossroads in Sunset Red "Ruby"

Previous Vulcans: '15 Vaquero, '12 Vaquero, '10 1700 Nomad, '04 1500 Classic, '01 1500 Classic, '88 Vulcan 750
VROC # 10967 | VBA # 3115