Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > Vulcan Nomad/Vaquero/Voyager

Old 08-16-2010, 09:42 PM   #1

Coolant situation

Been hunting a coolant leak for a month now. No liquid on the floor, just a smell. Very slow as the overflow tank was only ever down a 1/2 inch. Finally got tired of messing with it and had the dealer take a look. They pressure tested and found the lower radiator hose clamp loose enough to leak a little. Tightened, topped off, good to go. That was a week ago Friday. Got home tonight and the damn thing is boiling hot, gurgling like a hot spring, overflow tank empty, but no over temp indicator. Re-filled the overflow, started her up for a just few minutes and then let it set and cool for several more. It then gave a gurgle and sucked the coolant tank dry again. Repeated and seems to be full now. No, I did not pull the fuel tank and open the cap. Anyway, it'll go back to the dealer tomorrow.

All this brings to mind a question...even tho these are liquid cooled engines they do have cooling fins on the cylinders....will these engines survive a 25 or 50 mile trip to the next town or service station or dealer if something were to cause a coolant loss when you're out on the road somewhere?

"A society that gives up freedom to gain security, shall gain neither and lose both"
Rhett "BigDog" Riegel KawaNow #142
Sandi "Lil' Mutt" Riegel KawaNow #143
'18 Indian Roadmaster - Red/Black matte

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 08-16-2010, 10:24 PM   #2
Advanced Member

Coolant situation

I wouldn't chance it, find a trailer.

Old 08-17-2010, 11:19 AM   #3
Sr. Contributor

Send a message via AIM to AlabamaNomadRider Send a message via Yahoo to AlabamaNomadRider
Coolant situation

The engine is air cooled to a degree but the most cooling comes from the radiator and the coolant flowing through the engine. I agree with Scott2007Nomad and wouldn't take the chance of overheating it. I feel it has got to have the coolant to keep the engine cooled properly.

Gene Cross, Jr.
Boaz, Alabama
KawaNOW/VBA #1181

Old 08-17-2010, 11:28 AM   #4

Coolant situation

Its probably leaking at the tubes that go into the cylinder head between the cylinders. there is an O ring that seeps coolant sometimes. you can replace the O ring or use silicone to seal it up.
You have to remove the tank to access these tubes, and check all the hose clamps you can see as well, the radiator cap,thermostat housing can usually be tightened up a bit.

2002 Nomad aka Bountyhunter
VBA #27
VROC #18951

Old 08-17-2010, 12:11 PM   #5

Coolant situation

I had a 2005 Nomad for several years and when it was brand new I smelled the antifreeze as you described. Took it to the dealer and they had to lift the tank and tighten the clamps on the radiator hoses. If I remember correctly, most 2005 Nomads had that problem, the factory simply did not tighten the clamps tight enough.

There was lots of clatter on the forums back then about this problem, seems it was quite common, similar to the heat problem that we've all experienced on our '09's before the kit fix.

I'm surprised yours only started leaking now, five years later!

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 08-17-2010, 12:18 PM   #6

Coolant situation

Interesting... I have an '05 and haven't had this problem. I guess I'm one of the lucky ones, knock on wood (as I knock on the top of my head).

I'm with the others, though. I'd trailer it if you have the option.

Matt "Mo" Moore
Owasso, Oklahoma
VBA #1250
2005 Nomad 1600 - Darkside

"There is no normal life, there's just life. So get on with it." - Doc Holiday

Old 08-17-2010, 02:14 PM   #7

Coolant situation

Dropped the Nomad off at the shop this morning. The wrench is pretty good at this place(Kawasaki City, Lancaster, TX), but he seemed reluctant to check it again as there is no obvious drip on the floor, little to no odor of coolant and the fact that he just went thru this with it last week. He's telling me that MaKaw won't cover the search for the problem as there is no obvious leak.
I don't buy the excuse that it's just too hot outside or that it's 5 years old and it's too hot outside. This bike has been thru 5 Texas summers without a problem, never had to add coolant or monitor the coolant level everyday, now suddenly it's too old or it's too hot?
I don't understand Kawasaki's tightwad handling of warranty items. I know it's all about the money, but it's such a big company and bikes are such a small part, they could replace everyones bike every couple of years for free and not make a dent in the bottom line. Why nickle and dime the dealers to the point where they are reluctant to do warranty work?

Also asked him about riding the bike if you lost coolant out on the road. His response was...yes you can get away with it if moving at a reasonable speed out on the highway, but as soon as you slowed down in any kind of traffic or stop lights, it would quickly overheat. He felt that it would be ok to get to a town or shop, whatever you had to do. Don't run it hard, stop and let it cool down some if needed. Take it for what it's worth.

"A society that gives up freedom to gain security, shall gain neither and lose both"

Old 08-17-2010, 02:28 PM   #8
Mega-Contributor

Coolant situation

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDog
Dropped the Nomad off at the shop this morning. The wrench is pretty good at this place(Kawasaki City, Lancaster, TX), but he seemed reluctant to check it again as there is no obvious drip on the floor, little to no odor of coolant and the fact that he just went thru this with it last week. He's telling me that MaKaw won't cover the search for the problem as there is no obvious leak.
I don't buy the excuse that it's just too hot outside or that it's 5 years old and it's too hot outside. This bike has been thru 5 Texas summers without a problem, never had to add coolant or monitor the coolant level everyday, now suddenly it's too old or it's too hot?
I don't understand Kawasaki's tightwad handling of warranty items. I know it's all about the money, but it's such a big company and bikes are such a small part, they could replace everyones bike every couple of years for free and not make a dent in the bottom line. Why nickle and dime the dealers to the point where they are reluctant to do warranty work?

Also asked him about riding the bike if you lost coolant out on the road. His response was...yes you can get away with it if moving at a reasonable speed out on the highway, but as soon as you slowed down in any kind of traffic or stop lights, it would quickly overheat. He felt that it would be ok to get to a town or shop, whatever you had to do. Don't run it hard, stop and let it cool down some if needed. Take it for what it's worth.
I don't buy the "it's too hot out" BS for a second. That's a lame excuse. You need to find another mechanic. This guy just lost his credibility, as far as I'm concerned.

Take the bike home, lift the tank, and check the level of coolant at the pressure cap. If it's low, refill it and burp the air out of the system. While the tank is off, check all the hose clamps and make sure they are tight. Button it back up and run it and see if it continues to run hot.
VBA #00105
H.O.G. #4250060

2011 H-D Ultra Limited 103ci

:: 2011 HD Electra Glide Ultra Limited w/Stage 1 ::

Rallies: Mesquite '08|Custer '09|Cortez '10|Crescent City '11|Kanab '12|Antlers '12|Estes Park '13|Antlers '13|Orofino '14|The Dalles '17

Old 08-17-2010, 03:01 PM   #9
Top Contributor

Coolant situation

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDog
Been hunting a coolant leak for a month now. No liquid on the floor, just a smell. Very slow as the overflow tank was only ever down a 1/2 inch. Finally got tired of messing with it and had the dealer take a look. They pressure tested and found the lower radiator hose clamp loose enough to leak a little. Tightened, topped off, good to go. That was a week ago Friday. Got home tonight and the damn thing is boiling hot, gurgling like a hot spring, overflow tank empty, but no over temp indicator. Re-filled the overflow, started her up for a just few minutes and then let it set and cool for several more. It then gave a gurgle and sucked the coolant tank dry again. Repeated and seems to be full now. No, I did not pull the fuel tank and open the cap. Anyway, it'll go back to the dealer tomorrow.

All this brings to mind a question...even tho these are liquid cooled engines they do have cooling fins on the cylinders....will these engines survive a 25 or 50 mile trip to the next town or service station or dealer if something were to cause a coolant loss when you're out on the road somewhere?
My guess is that after checking for the leak he didn't check the antifreeze level.
VBA 213
VROC 16913

Custer 09: Cortez 10: Crescent City 11: Kanab 12: Estes Park 13: Tahoe 14: Red Lodge 16

Old 08-17-2010, 03:02 PM   #10
Sr. Contributor

Coolant situation

cj, continued, and if then it acts up with the bike still hot and that rad cover off the ft of the rad with the back of a hand feel for cold spot down low working up.

The back of the hand incase you get burned. The bottom of the rad should be as hot as the top, and if not that rad is clogged.

Your tech isn't too good.

06 1600 Nomad
Just call me Mac
molon labe come and get it

Old 08-17-2010, 08:10 PM   #11

Coolant situation

Thanks for all the replies everyone. For the time being, I'm going to give the shop a chance on this as the bike is still under warranty. I will however, pass along all of your suggestions. That coolant is going somewhere, doesn't appear to be any in the oil, so we'll see.

Thanks again

Old 08-17-2010, 09:08 PM   #12

Coolant situation

Sounds like while checking the leak he drained the radiator and didn't fill it back up, or otherwise got air into the system. Mac is right, time to find a new mechanic. You're not that far from Hi-Five Cycles up in N. Dallas. I've dealt with them a few times - good people.

Keep us updated!

"Taranis" and the Lovely Ann
KawaNOW Oldschool #885
His: 2006 Nomad
Hers: 2008 VN900 Classic LT

Old 08-18-2010, 07:55 PM   #13

Coolant situation

Shop worked on it all day today, pulled the tank, checked for visible leaks, checked coolant levels , pressure tested hot and cold, no leaks. So, I picked it up and rode it the 34 miles home. No problems. Put paper bags down under it so I can see if anythig drips and will check the overflow tank in the morning before riding to work. Fingers crossed.

Old 08-19-2010, 08:04 AM   #14

Coolant situation

Well, damn it. Pulled the side cover this morning to check coolant level and the tank was almost empty. This is getting ridiculous. No visible leaks anywhere. I'm stumped, dealer stumped, it's parked for now, can't see carrying a couple gallons of coolant in the saddlebags and stopping every 20 miles to fillup.

Old 08-19-2010, 08:28 AM   #15

Coolant situation

If your tank is almost empty after 34 miles, either it was not filled properly and purged, or you have a blown head gasket and the coolant is being sucked into the cylinder and blown out the exhaust pipes.

2002 Nomad aka Bountyhunter
VBA #27
VROC #18951