Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1700 Nomad, Vaquero & Voyager

Old 01-13-2015, 02:38 PM   #1

Which Slip on / Power commander?

I am looking to replace my standard mufflers ( Vulcan Nomad 1700 ) either V&H or Cobra Tri Ovals. I suppose it's all about personal choice, but does anyone have any comments re. pros and cons of either system.
Also, tuner PCV5 or Fi2000?
Thnx

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 01-13-2015, 04:05 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnowl View Post
I am looking to replace my standard mufflers ( Vulcan Nomad 1700 ) either V&H or Cobra Tri Ovals. I suppose it's all about personal choice, but does anyone have any comments re. pros and cons of either system.
Also, tuner PCV5 or Fi2000?
Thnx
SLIP-ONS...the v&h make more torque and H.P. than the cobra tri-ovals, so it coms down to looks and sound. the v&h have the deeper throatier sound, the tri-ovals have a smoother more turbine like sound. looks is subjective. I had a customer that installed tri-ovals but eventually wanted a more v-twin sound, installed v&h slip-ons and was pleased with the sound AND the noticeable performance increase.

The ultimate in COMPLETE engine tuning can ONLY be had by the PCV with ignition timing adjustability. anything else falls short but may be adequate for you as it is for others.

RACNRAY

Old 01-13-2015, 05:34 PM   #3

+1 on the PCV. The only way to truly tune an engine is to be able to control the air/fuel mix at all times, and to be able to adjust the ignition timing.

You may be able to replace the mufflers with slip-ons, and have it feel ok, but without tuning it properly by putting it on a dyno and having the air/fuel mixture adjusted, you simply won't be running as efficiently as possible. And when a motor runs efficiently, it make the most power, gets the best mpg, runs the coolest, and will be more reliable, and ride-able.

Thunder Mfg Prototype Hi Performance Kit Rev 2
109 cid
Klockwerks Windshield
Corbin Young Gun
Throttle Mod
Freedom Performance 2-1
Roarin Toyz Intake
PCV with AutoTune
Ivanized ECU

Old 01-14-2015, 06:17 AM   #4
Advanced Member

Im running 2 into 1 FP with Fi2000 auto tune and the bikes works great, I have minimal popping on decel and have increased torque from the V&H or tri oval as I had both on. Going with after market header also made a hell of a difference 2

41 mpg
Nomad 2010
Voyager trunk
Alleycat intake / YVANIZE ECU, Freedom performance 2 into 1
Kuryaken grip with Throttle mod
lost of chrome add on
Sound digital 1200.4 2 ohm
6 x 9 MPX 690 Hertz in custom fairing
6.5 hcx hertz speakers in hard bags
6.5 MPX hertz in pods

Old 01-14-2015, 07:56 AM   #5
Advanced Member

I went with the V&H slip ons and the Dobeck Performance EJK fuel processor, not as flexible as the PCV but is true plug and play. The EJK can be adjusted on the fly with not laptop, dyno or complicated maps. I nearly have it dialed in to perfect with minimal decel pop. At this point I only get a muffled pop if I let 3rd decel to 2100 rpm with the throttle completely closed and the bike is hot. Other than that nearly nothing. Bike sounds awesome. Actually a little quieter than I was expecting. I am used to the Samson exhaust on my 1500 classic. Now those pipes have some sound. My $.02

On the 1500, too much to list.

On the Vaquero:
V&H slash cut slip ons
Power Commander 5 and Ivan-ized ECU
Chuckster's BAK
Aux Audio adapter with bluetooth receiver.
Mustang 2 up Touring Seat w/ driver and passenger backrest
Kuryakyn Longhorn highway pegs.
Kawasaki 12 volt charger
Longer 1600 meanstreak SE kickstand
Full LED Daymaker light mod.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 01-14-2015, 07:58 AM   #6

Thanks for all your advice! It has been ageat help.

Old 01-14-2015, 08:34 AM   #7

Hi RACNRAY
Here in the UK there is a £90 ( approx. $136 ) difference between a V&H full system and 3" slash cut slip on's. Is there any advantage in a full system over the s/ on's, ie sound / performance etc? Don't want to waste time and money if there are no gains on a full system.
Thnx
Barnowl.

Old 01-14-2015, 09:23 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnowl View Post
Hi RACNRAY
Here in the UK there is a £90 ( approx. $136 ) difference between a V&H full system and 3" slash cut slip on's. Is there any advantage in a full system over the s/ on's, ie sound / performance etc? Don't want to waste time and money if there are no gains on a full system.
Thnx
Barnowl.
The original s/ons I had on my skoot were cobra round body style. they were waaaay too quiet and did not offer the performance I expected. I took out the baffles and installed perforated cores with packing around, woke the Vaq up noticeably.
I eventually saw a pic of a Vaq with the V&H 2-1 exhaust, fell in love with the looks and knew of the advantages of a full system over stock with s/ons.

b4 installing the 2-1 new baseline dyno runs were done on my skoot to document what it was making. I have found relying on old (as old as 2 months) dyno runs are not accurate as things change, even in that short time span. anyways the v&h 2-1 was installed and I LOST about 4 H.P. from the stock header with my straight-thru s/ons.

I had to completely redesign the internal baffle to make that 2-1 show advantages over what I had. One extremely unacceptable aspect of the V&H system is the front cylinder primary tube is located lower than the stock exhaust tube so I hit that exhaust tube on right handers, it really does suck.

If you are contemplating a 2-1 check out the ability for you to get a Freedom Performance 2-1, they have a well designed baffle and I see they have raised that front cylinder exhaust tube higher in the area where the V&H hits the ground.

RACNRAY

Old 01-14-2015, 03:11 PM   #9

Hi, thanks for your reply.

The V&H full system I am considering is a like for like straight swap for the original, not a 2 into 1. I like to see a muffler either side of the rear wheel. I think I read somewhere that full after market systems are better than just slip on's. Just wondered if you thought that was indeed the case?.
Thnx

Old 01-14-2015, 07:07 PM   #10

A far as I know, V&H only makes the Pro Pipe 2-1 and the slip-ons for the 1700 baggers. They don't make a full dual exhaust for the Nomad/Voyager/Vaquero.
109 cid
Klockwerks Windshield
Corbin Young Gun
Throttle Mod
Freedom Performance 2-1
Roarin Toyz Intake
PCV with AutoTune
Ivanized ECU

Old 01-15-2015, 07:49 AM   #11

SORRY, my mistake. I was looking at the wrong picture, of the wrong bike, Doh!!!

Old 01-15-2015, 10:20 AM   #12

Pretty sure I did that a couple times looking for exhaust for this bike.
109 cid
Klockwerks Windshield
Corbin Young Gun
Throttle Mod
Freedom Performance 2-1
Roarin Toyz Intake
PCV with AutoTune
Ivanized ECU