Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Riding > Rides/Trip Reports/Travel Information

Old 02-20-2014, 11:06 AM   #1

Question A1A worth it?

planing the ride to bike week. we will be coming Atlanta to Savannah since we haven't been before and then I was considering taking A1A vs I-95 to Daytona just to ride it coast. as i look at reviews a lot of people are saying that there are no views anymore. has any one road it recently is it worth the extra time and how bad is traffic?

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 02-20-2014, 12:19 PM   #2

I did A1A from Titusville to St Augustine last year and it was a great leisurely ride. Lots of views and small places to stop and eat. The map looks like the ride S from Fernandina Beach down to St Augustine ought to be just as good. Mostly 45 MPH but might be crowded around that date.

Sounds like fun and wish I was going. Enjoy.
VulcanBagger #01711, VRA/GA VRA, SCRC,
VROC #29671, AMA #1085989,
Red Knights MC GA-18 Pres, PGR

Old 02-20-2014, 12:30 PM   #3

The East coast on A1A is nice did it last April lots of views if on a Sat. it can be busy and alot of Bicycles Fernandina Beach/Amelia Island is nice we enjoyed the whole east coast ride with the exception of Miami

Previous bikes - 2004 BMW R1200 CLC 2006 Nomad 1600 Black -1985 BMW K100 RT
VBA #001609
Viet-Nam Vet 71-72
Maryville , Tn.
Maggie Valley '11-Townsend '12-Estes Park '13- Copperhead fall rally "13- Elkins WV '14- Eureka Springs ' 15- Helen Ga. SE Rally '16

Old 02-20-2014, 02:06 PM   #4

If you're not in a big rush A1A is worth it. I ride it a few times a week down by me and never get tired of it
VBA #02113
Antlers, Oklahoma '12
Blairsville, Georgia '13
Antlers, Oklahoma '13
Eureka Springs, Arkansas '15

Old 02-22-2014, 11:04 AM   #5

thanks guys, we are not in a rush plus it would be wed morning so I will check traffic and I guess we will make a decision on the fly.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 02-23-2014, 08:07 PM   #6
Advanced Member

Thumbs Up

I enjoy the A1A. Do the Loop if you get the chance.

Old 02-23-2014, 08:45 PM   #7

I think I saw something about it in one on the tourist mags but what is the loop your talking about?

Old 02-24-2014, 08:42 AM   #8
Advanced Member

Thumbs Up

Hi!
The Loop begins with a northerly trek at the foot of the Granada Bridge on John Anderson Drive in Ormond Beach. Going North, riders are greeted by a cathedral of trees up to the Highbridge Road where they hang a left (to go west) and go over the bridge and the Intercostals Waterway (the Halifax River). There are several places to stop along the way and just enjoy the Florida countryside. After more winding turns, you'll come upon Walter Boardman road where you will make a left to take you further west to Old Dixie Highway. When you reach Old Dixie Highway, take another left (to go south) toward Ormond Beach and your starting point at the Granada Bridge ... a perfect 22 mile loop!

Last edited by vulcanguy; 02-24-2014 at 08:45 AM.

Old 02-24-2014, 11:55 AM   #9

yeah i will have to make time for that. thanks

Old 02-24-2014, 08:07 PM   #10

A1A is scenic, coming from north of Daytona. On some stretches there are some grassy dunes between you and ocean, still a nice ride though. However during bike week (if it was me) when I got as far south as Ormond I'd skip over to U.S. 1. The traffic moves better and you can then ride it on in to the main A1A drag (where it's bumper to bumper). Take the north bridge, the southern bridge is always packed on weekends, kinda slow.

But there's lots to see before you even get to the main A1A beach drag. At I-95 and U.S. 1 there's the Destination complex of Russmeyer's Harley, J&P Cycles, The Pig Stand BBQ and whole set of vendors and displays on a huge lot.

Then when you get tired of the music and sites there you can head south on US 1 for bout a mile and stop in at the Iron Horse Saloon. This place is big, and no way to explain it, you just have to see it.

Then after all that fun, just keep heading south and jump over to A1A when your ready to get in the slow traffic run. OR one block over there are lots of pay to park lots where you can park then walk to your desired watering holes, exhibits etc.

And there are plenty of bike shows even further south on US 1. Places where small owner bike shops display their custom works.

Have fun with it.

Old 02-25-2014, 04:40 PM   #11

thanks for all the info.

Old 02-25-2014, 04:52 PM   #12
Advanced Member

Thumbs Up

I just wanted to let you know, I did ride the Loop today & it is gr8. Even though I have ridden it about 5 or 6 times over the past 3 years, it is still a pleasant ride!
I do recommend it!
Just a warning, wild boars have been spotted.
Cheers