Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Riding > Rides/Trip Reports/Travel Information

Old 02-09-2014, 08:33 AM   #1

Atlantic Canda Planning Help

This years trip will be to tour the Canadian Maritime Provinces, we should have a total of about 2.5 weeks to be in the area and tour, plus our time to and from Central Canada.

The current plan is to tie the trip into a trip to our riding clubs National Rally in Ottawa, ON and then head east. I'm good for plans from Winnipeg to Ottawa but I'm looking for some tips, must see/ride places, great secondary highways/roads and other inside info to get the most out of this trip. The Cabot trail is an obvious destination and other than planning to visit some friends in Halifax the rest of the trip is a blank slate at the moment. Any help would be appreciated!

Doug Engstrom
2012 Victory Cross Country Tour
2001 Vulcan Nomad 1500FI, (Sold at 83,000 km)

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 02-09-2014, 09:22 AM   #2

Hi Doug - You should get some great input from a few folks that live up in that area, but I'll give you my two cents anyway. We've been up that way quite a few times and love it.

If you can do it, come into it along the Gaspe Peninsula, crossing over into New Brunswick at Campbellton. Take the Confederation Bridge over to PEI and the ferry back to Pictou. For Cape Breton, stay in Baddeck (centrally located). Glenmore Distillery, whale watch out of Cheticamp, lunch in Neil's Harbor, Fortress Louisburg, there is a coal mining tour around Sydney, Meat Cove. In Nova Scotia, Peggy's Cove. Also Bay of Fundy. If you head down towards Yarmouth, there is a restaurant on the water in Marguerite Harbor. Great place to have a really good dinner and watch the sunset. (We had the really good dinner, but no sunset . . . the fog was so thick we could barely find the restaurant from the parking lot.

Tom

Tom Maziarz (tomm)
VBA #00766
2008 Kawasaki Nomad (Black)
1978 Suzuki GS750EC (My son is riding it now.)

2017: National Rally - Lake George, NY
2016: NE US / E Canada Rally - Mont Tremblant, QC
2015: National Rally - Eureka Springs, AR
2014: NE US / E Canada Rally - Lincoln, NH
2012: NE US / E Canada Rally - Wellsboro, PA

Old 02-09-2014, 09:26 AM   #3

With 2 1/2 weeks there, you should have tons of time to see the east coast. If you make it to Newfoundland, that will eat up a bit of time. If you see PEI, its nice especially crossing the bridge over the water, and you can see all of the island in a day or two. The Cabot Trail is a fantastic scenic ride, and if you stop at Marguerite Harbour, you can have a nice lobster & clam dinner right on the waterfront.

2002 Nomad aka Bountyhunter
VBA #27
VROC #18951

Old 02-09-2014, 11:18 AM   #4

Thanks for the feedback guys, Tomm this will be two years in a row you've offered some great tips, I truly appreciate it! I hope to head over to Newfoundland as well and give it a basic pass through, knowing it could take much more extensive touring at a later date.

Doug Engstrom

Last edited by Chili; 02-09-2014 at 11:23 AM.

Old 02-09-2014, 05:04 PM   #5

Happy to help Doug. It sounds like a great trip. Been riding in Atlantic Canada four or five times and never get tired of it. And have never met friendlier people.

Not done the Newfie crossing, but I thought I heard somewhere that it cost about $150. CDN one way for a bike, rider and passenger.

Also, I would highly recommend the book "Motorcycle Journeys through Atlantic Canada," available from Whitehorse Press for $30.00. I have about a half-dozen books in the series. Besides ride planning, they're great for armchair trips when the snow is blowing and the wind is howling and the temp is way below freezing.

http://www.whitehorsegear.com/motorc...tlantic-canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chili View Post
Thanks for the feedback guys, Tomm this will be two years in a row you've offered some great tips, I truly appreciate it! I hope to head over to Newfoundland as well and give it a basic pass through, knowing it could take much more extensive touring at a later date.

Tom Maziarz (tomm)
VBA #00766
2008 Kawasaki Nomad (Black)
1978 Suzuki GS750EC (My son is riding it now.)

2017: National Rally - Lake George, NY
2016: NE US / E Canada Rally - Mont Tremblant, QC
2015: National Rally - Eureka Springs, AR
2014: NE US / E Canada Rally - Lincoln, NH
2012: NE US / E Canada Rally - Wellsboro, PA

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 02-09-2014, 07:25 PM   #6

Just be real careful about riding through Newfoundland at sun up and sun set or night.
The moose come out onto the roads and it wouldn't be good to meet up with one.

2002 Nomad aka Bountyhunter
VBA #27
VROC #18951

Old 02-09-2014, 08:13 PM   #7

Taking either of the two ferry routes to NFLD will probably require a reservation. Also there was a free motorcycle tour guide for Nova Scotia when I went a few years back. I think now there is one for all of Atlantic Canada, anyway here is a link that may tell all.

http://www.motorcycletourguidens.com/

Norm Ward
2008 blue / silver nomad
kawanow / VBA #01136

Old 03-01-2014, 09:01 AM   #8
Advanced Member

Smile

Just to add my 2 cents...
Tom, Steve & Norm gave you some great info! Should you have time for Newfoundland, If I may make a suggestion, take the Port Aux Basques ferry & ride the 1 around the island heading to St-Johns . You will find hotels along the route. That is the way I did it & enjoyed it. I am sure Capper will chime in. Here is the web site for the ferry: www.marine-atlantic.ca/. Reserve asap, they do get busy, & allow a day should a crossing be delayed.
Enjoy the East!
Cheers

Last edited by vulcanguy; 03-02-2014 at 05:17 PM.

Old 03-10-2014, 07:18 PM   #9

Send a message via MSN to cndfireman
did the same trip last summer was great. We crossed over through the us and traveled up through main. Was real nice and they have no helmet laws there and well for that is a plus. Hotels are very reasonable. We also stayed in baddeck was a real nice little spot we stayed at. We where 2 couples so the place we rented has 2 bedrooms with complete kitchen and just at the beginning of the trail in about 2 km to the main town went to yatch club it was nice had great weather hope you have a great trip. This years trip is new Orleans French quarters 2nd and 3rd weeks of july. from there heading towards Jacksonville and up the east coast. I am not one for site seeing actually I prefer to ride instead of stopping and looking but Hopewell rock was one stop that I will never regret ride through bay of fundy national parc is very nice and free!

Old 03-13-2014, 05:51 AM   #10

Thanks for the tips, making notes for when I start mapping out a prospective route from Ottawa east.

Doug Engstrom

Old 03-13-2014, 06:20 PM   #11

Atlantic Canada trip

The Cabot Trail is a must I would suggest riding it counter clockwise,that way all the areas to pull over on are on your side of the Road,start at the English town Ferry,Weather can change quickly so dress appropriate . Fortress Louisburg is also a must. Take the bridge to PEL exit the Island on the east end by ferry and that will bring you closer to Cape Breton. If you are into plays and musicals check out entertainment at the Confederation Centre. For Newfoundland you have 2 options. Take the ferry from to North Sydney to Argentia. It's a 16 hour crossing so you should book a cabin. I would also suggest take along your own tie downs for the ferries incase of rough weather.
You will be about an hour or so from St.John's plenty to do there. You have to go to George Street,about 200 bars in walking distance from the Hotel Newfoundland to the end of George Street. Then you can ride across the Island to Port aux Basques and the ferry back to Nova Scotia. Or you can take that ferry going over,ride the west coast along the water to St. Anthony it's beautiful. If you are in the Annapolis valley of Nova Scotia there is an Airforce museum in Greenwood you will probably want to check out. If I am home I would be glad to do a day trip and show you around. Enjoy your trip,anything else I can help you with just let me know.

Old 03-24-2014, 03:32 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomm View Post
Not done the Newfie crossing, but I thought I heard somewhere that it cost about $150. CDN one way for a bike, rider and passenger.
Well the $150 is spot on for the Port Aux Basques crossing but a round trip out of Argentia really touches the wallet! Looked into it today thinking depending on schedule we'll cross over to one port, ride the 900 km highway around the island over two days and then cross back from the other port with a cabin for the 16 hour crossing. Round trip for the two of us and the bike is just a shade under $700! With a night on the island and incidentals that will turn that 4 day stretch of the adventure into an easy $1,000 touch, that one might take some thinking and number crunching.

Doug Engstrom

Old 03-24-2014, 11:58 AM   #13

When riding across gas up at every station if you need it or not. There are a couple of long rides with no services on the TCH also I never ride there on that THC after dark because of the moose. They have warning lights to warn drivers if there are moose on the hwy but sometimes they come out of nowhere. If you only decide to do the west coast you won't be sorry. Gross Morne Park is a must and ride all along the coast to St.Anthony. If you are in St.john's on the first week of August accommodations may be hard to come by due to the George Street Festival. However it's a party like no other. Remember if you come to my neck of the woods I'll be happy to show you a few interesting areas. Enjoy your east coast trip.

Old 03-25-2014, 02:26 AM   #14

David, I'll still be in Ottawa for our CMC National rally the first week of Aug and then heading East.

We'll definitely be in your area at some point as we plan to try to hit the entire maritime area and have plans to spend some time visiting friends in Halifax. I'm also toying with the idea of hanging around to catch the Wharf Rat Rally but it is right at the end of my allotted vacation so I'd have to consider flying my Wife home so I could do a couple of Iron Butt rides home to make it back for my return to work the following Thursday.

Doug Engstrom

Old 04-17-2014, 02:02 PM   #15

Sounds like a great trip. We are heading to the Maritimes as well - couple weeks in July. All the where and when I generally leave up to the wife. Directionally challenged I would say. Supposed to get home mid week and then a few of us are heading to the national rally as well. Might see ya there!

Lovin my 2010 Nomad
Rob Woodall
Canadian Motorcycle Cruisers
088 Picton
VBA # 02445