Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1500 & 1600 Nomad

Old 03-24-2008, 01:12 PM   #1

Power Commander acting up

My bike hasn't seemed to run right since I parked it in November, It seems to run rich and smells of fuel, and the plugs are black/sooty. I wasn't sure if the TPS was the cause or something else was out of wack. Today I decided I would disconnect the Power Commander, to see if that was the problem. I had to remove the tank to get to the injectors and unplug the PC. Once I put the tank back on and started it, it seems to be running better, I may try to go for a ride around the block but its still cold here with lots of sand on the roads. Im not sure if I would gain much from riding it until the conditions improve. Any how the bike is back to stock factory settings for now. I would like to check the map in the PC but since I don't have a laptop, I have to setup a computer in the garage, so I can connect to the bike. Im going to wait for warmer weather before I do this. Ive never worked with a PC before so I will have to download the software and maps fom their website. It doesn't seem like a big deal but sometimes learning a new program can be confusing for a while until you get it figured out. If any of you guys have worked on your PC maybe you could simplify things a bit for me as far as checking what map I have installed and how to install a new one.

2002 Nomad aka Bountyhunter
VBA #27
VROC #18951

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 03-24-2008, 01:22 PM   #2

Quote:
My bike hasn't seemed to run right since I parked it in November, It seems to run rich and smells of fuel, and the plugs are black/sooty. ...I decided I would disconnect the Power Commander...it seems to be running better....
Yup. That's the same story I keep hearing from time to time. They can lose the map.

The newest ones allow you to load & re-load maps on the fly from an accessory module, like a little computer you can mount on the handlebars. Expensive though. Probably easy to steal as well.

Old 03-24-2008, 01:23 PM   #3
Advanced Member

That is my concern for the PC III - if there is no spare downloaded map saved somewhere other than the unit - you can lose the data! Also, it appears the only proper way to get a proper map for each individual bike ( pertenant mod's to bike reocrded) you never get a good running bike unless it's Dyno'd and the map recorded and stored!!! I have a brand new PCIII sitting in it's box and I don't think I will be installing it! The first box got screwed up by the Stealer and they ordered me a new one - but then I found out they were just downloading maps from Dynajet and where picking the closest one that they thought was good!!! I never got a set up that wasn't either too Rich or didn't run right! They don't have a Dyno and guy who has one here couldn't be bothered since he makes his money off Sport Bike guys!! I'll probably sell off the PCIII for a big loss and call it a day! Nothing ventured - lots lost!!

Old 03-24-2008, 01:27 PM   #4
Top Contributor

rewindgy: thats the very reason i never bought the bullet and ordered a PCiii, Oh I wanted one at first but you brave guys have shown me that its not all it cracked up to be for a couple more HP and couple less MPG, I'll keep mine stock, THANKS

Old 03-24-2008, 01:30 PM   #5

Quote:
That is my concern for the PC III - if there is no spare downloaded map saved somewhere other than the unit - you can lose the data! Also, it appears the only proper way to get a proper map for each individual bike ( pertenant mod's to bike reocrded) you never get a good running bike unless it's Dyno'd and the map recorded and stored!!! I have a brand new PCIII sitting in it's box and I don't think I will be installing it! The first box got screwed up by the Stealer and they ordered me a new one - but then I found out they were just downloading maps from Dynajet and where picking the closest one that they thought was good!!! I never got a set up that wasn't either too Rich or didn't run right! They don't have a Dyno and guy who has one here couldn't be bothered since he makes his money off Sport Bike guys!! I'll probably sell off the PCIII for a big loss and call it a day! Nothing ventured - lots lost!!
If you have it dyno-tuned the operator is supposed to give you a disk with the map on it. If they don't I'd really complain.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 03-24-2008, 02:25 PM   #6

Well; I took the bike out for a short ride and it seems to be running a little cleaner, It doesn't smell as rich as it did earlier. I will leave the PC disconnected for now, as its a pain to try to download a new map by bringing it in the house to connect to the computer. Someday I'll take a computer in the garage and will try to remap it on the bike.I think dynotuning it would be best, but trying to find someone who knows what they are doing will be hard to find around here.Either way I will tinker with it in the future as it bugs me not to be able to get it right.

VBA #27
VROC #18951

Old 03-24-2008, 02:59 PM   #7
Advanced Member

rewindgy ALL YOU NEED TO DO IS GO TO DYNOJETS WEBSITE AND DOWNLOAD THE MAP FOR YOUR BIKE. ITS REALLY EASY. I HAD MINE DYNOED AND IT RAN LIKE CRAP. THEY HAD IT SET WAY TO RICH. GOT THE CORRECT MAP FROM DYNOJET AND IT WORKS PERFECTLY.

http://www.powercommander.com/powerc...mdl=70&yr=2006

IF YOU HAVE AFTER MARKET PIPES AND A AIR INTAKE SYSTEM USE THE MAP THAT IS FOR ROADHOUSE EXHAUST AND HYPERCHARGER AIR CLEANER. YOU WONT BE DISSAPOINTED.

Old 03-24-2008, 03:00 PM   #8
Mega-Contributor

Quote:
How much you want for it?
VBA #00105
H.O.G. #4250060

2011 H-D Ultra Limited 103ci

:: 2011 HD Electra Glide Ultra Limited w/Stage 1 ::

Rallies: Mesquite '08|Custer '09|Cortez '10|Crescent City '11|Kanab '12|Antlers '12|Estes Park '13|Antlers '13|Orofino '14|The Dalles '17

Old 03-24-2008, 04:30 PM   #9
Advanced Member

I don't know - I paid $250 for it if I remember correctly - probably $150 plus shipping ish? What's it worth to someone? It's never been used and I don't even know if they come with a map installed???

Old 03-24-2008, 05:09 PM   #10
Mega-Contributor

Quote:
I don't know - I paid $250 for it if I remember correctly - probably $150 plus shipping ish? What's it worth to someone? It's never been used and I don't even know if they come with a map installed???
They come with a zero map installed, all stock settings.
VBA #00105
H.O.G. #4250060

2011 H-D Ultra Limited 103ci

:: 2011 HD Electra Glide Ultra Limited w/Stage 1 ::

Rallies: Mesquite '08|Custer '09|Cortez '10|Crescent City '11|Kanab '12|Antlers '12|Estes Park '13|Antlers '13|Orofino '14|The Dalles '17

Old 03-25-2008, 07:29 AM   #11

had my pc 111 installed 27000 miles ago when i had the v/h baggers put on. the shop did a map specific for my bike and it has ran great ever since. never lost the map at all. before the pc 111 it ran like i was dragging a boat anchor

Old 03-25-2008, 07:37 AM   #12

Quote:
had my pc 111 installed 27000 miles ago when i had the v/h baggers put on. the shop did a map specific for my bike and it has ran great ever since. never lost the map at all. before the pc 111 it ran like i was dragging a boat anchor

Mine too ran great for the first 5 years with the PC installed, but something went wrong. I'll figure it out eventually, I just need some time to check things out, and talk to the right guys, that work with there PC's.

VBA #27
VROC #18951

Old 03-25-2008, 06:17 PM   #13

Call 1-800-992-4993 in North Las Vegas. Ask for Mike. He is the guy who desighned the PC 3 and will do back flips to help you out. He also will be interested in hearing your problem. I talked with him when I had problems and he sent me everything I needed. You will probably need to download what is in your map at this time, but you should already have that if you paid someone to Dyno (set) yours up.

Old 03-25-2008, 10:04 PM   #14

Ive tried phoning there 3-4 times so far this week, I always get a busy signal. I'll try again tomorrow, unless that number only works in the U.S. But thanks for the contact, I'll keep trying to reach him.

VBA #27
VROC #18951