Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1500 & 1600 Nomad

Old 11-01-2018, 12:57 PM   #1
Advanced Member

Mean Streak TB on the Classic?

Anyone tried out a Mean Streak throttle body on the Classic engine? Especially anyone whose Classic also has the air intake, exhaust and Power Commander installed?

The Mean Streak throttle body is slightly larger and I wonder if the increased airflow would help mid range and higher rpm performance, like for passing. If you have done it, what kind of fuel mileage do you get? Also what is your seat of the pants dyno telling you of the results?

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 11-02-2018, 01:46 PM   #2

Mine's not a Classic, but a Nomad, and I did it to mine. The intake has the injectors mounted in it, and the MS intake also has the fuel pressure regulator on it's fuel rail, the Classic & Nomad, has the fuel pressure regulator integrated into the fuel pump inside the tank. (I deleted the fuel pressure regulator on the MS intake with a block-off plate that I machined up). You will also have to use a MS ECM, It knows the injectors.
My seat of the pants dyno tells me that The "get-up-and-go" is maybe a marginal improvement, after all, still running the same gearing, but once you get up above 3200 RPM, I can tell a big difference. MPG is about the same as before, but I did have to dial my TFI down to almost off in the 1st pod.

Cliff "VulcanE" Evans
2005 Blue & Silver 1600 Nomad
VBA # 320
VROC # 20381

Old 11-02-2018, 11:54 PM   #3
Advanced Member

Thanks, that the kind of info I need to make a reasonable choice. I was thinking of using just the MS throttle body mounted onto the Classic intake manifold. Doing that would maintain the Classic fuel injectors and ECM. Then I'd tune the system up using the POwer Commander. If the MS throttle body allows a bit more airflow at higher rpms, like for passing, then I can tune the fuel/air mix higher with the Power Commander.

My Classic already has the reed valves removed and blocked off, it has a Baron air intake and deleted left side intake, cold air solenoids are gone, V&H Bigshots exhaust and a Power Commander. So it should react well to some added air/fuel with the MS throttle body. I plan to also adjust the TPS for a bit more fuel into the increased air flow.