Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > Vulcan Nomad/Vaquero/Voyager

Old 04-30-2010, 10:50 PM   #1
Advanced Member

Seat mod

Well, I modified my seat last night. After reading about someone else doing it, the bug bit me and I did it (especially after three days of long rides, and my rear end was sore).

I am excited to see how it will work out, since I haven't had the opportunity to ride it yet.

I took out four inches of the foam in the center rear, and put in 5 inches of a heavy memory foam. It sits better, and should reduce the pressure points. I will report on it after I ride it some.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 04-30-2010, 11:21 PM   #2
Sr. Contributor

Send a message via AIM to AlabamaNomadRider Send a message via Yahoo to AlabamaNomadRider
Seat mod

Be sure and let us know. I am interested in how it feels on a long ride.

Gene Cross, Jr.
Boaz, Alabama
KawaNOW/VBA #1181

Old 05-01-2010, 11:44 AM   #3

Seat mod

I did this for the passenger seat. Trying to get the wife comfortable. I lowered the seat 1" took out most of the foam from the center and added a gel pad, memory foam and a full layer of smoothing foam. The stock cover went back on and I stretched it tight. Looks good, wife says the lower seat helps with where the backrest hits her back. Jury is still out as to if she is more comfortable but I'm sure she will let me know.

May have to go with the high dollar DayLong if this does not work!
VBA Member #1356
jandreu@hawaiiantel.net

Old 05-01-2010, 05:04 PM   #4

Seat mod

the memory foam should help eliminate any hot spots and like you
say should distribute the wieght better.i have an ultimate seat
which is very comfortable and they use memory foam so i think
it is a good way to go.
VBA # 745 COG #11621
wheatland,wy.
rallies-custer 09,kalispell 10,crescent city 11,kanab 12,estes park 13,orifino 14.,red lodge 16

2015 ninja 1000 abs
2014 concourse 14
2012 concourse 14-sold
2011 vaquero-sold
2008 nomad-sold
2005 classic-sold

Old 05-02-2010, 06:41 PM   #5
Advanced Member

Seat mod

I took it out for a short ride (65 miles round trip) today. Didn't feel the burn, but didn't go far enough yet. It seems more comfortable. I also sit about two inches lower than before. I kind of liked that. But, the jury is still out. I may add another inch or two, yet.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 05-03-2010, 09:53 AM   #6
Advanced Member

Seat mod

Dougster,
Do you have access to any write up's on this MOD?
I am interested in something like this as well but really do not want to spend 400+ on a new seat just yet.
Thanks

Clayton
2008 1600 Nomad
VBA #01332

Old 05-03-2010, 10:19 AM   #7

Seat mod

Nice! It should help some. Make sure to report back after your next 150+ mile ride.
VBA #1051 (Former President)

Old 05-03-2010, 12:46 PM   #8

Seat mod

I had my seat modified by a local upholsterer, using memoory foam and he cut it to somewhat resemble the seat on the 1600 Classics. those are cut different and I can say that I personally like the end result. You've made a good choice Dougster, short of a Daylong or even a Mustang.

Old 05-03-2010, 02:55 PM   #9
Advanced Member

Seat mod

Where did you guys get the foam?

Web Slinger's Speedo face, Chuckster's Air Kit, Jay's LED Tail light, dshelly's throttle mod, Kuryakan Deep Bezel lens, Headlight Modulator, Kuryakan Run/Brake/Turn, DWG 2" speakers and amp, Stebel Air Horn

Fire & Iron, Red Knights, ROK, VBA, VRA, VROC, IAFF

Old 05-04-2010, 11:59 PM   #10
Advanced Member

Seat mod

Landman,
I think you are dead on in your statement. That is what I thought, also.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clayton
Dougster,
Do you have access to any write up's on this MOD?
I am interested in something like this as well but really do not want to spend 400+ on a new seat just yet.
Thanks
Clayton,
No, I have only read one write up, here on the KawaNow board. I can't remember for sure who did it (Was it Bubba?), but it was helpful, in giving me the gumption to try it myself. I also read a report on the Cruiser Magazine website on seat pads, foam, etc that helped explain the issues involved very well.

I was going to pay the $150 for Mean City Cycles to do it, but I did not want to have my seat gone for a week. So, I bought some memory foam off ebay for 18 bucks (it was for pet beds!), and figured out on my last long ride where the bony points of my pelvis met the seat, and where the new foam would do the most good. Then I cut out that section as one section, so I could put it back if my mod failed. I wish I would have taken pictures. But, if I add some more foam (which I plan to do) I will take some pictures, if you would like to see them.

Reaper,
I got the foam on eBay. From blueridgebed. It was 10 pound memory foam. Three pieces about 3 foot by 2 foot, or so. Got all three for 18 bucks, shipped. I figured I could try it, and if I failed, I can send it to Mean City Cycle later, or put the original foam back in. So far, I am pleased.

Old 05-05-2010, 06:52 AM   #11
Advanced Member

Seat mod

Dougster,
Pic's would be great...thanks

Clayton
2008 1600 Nomad
VBA #01332

Old 05-17-2010, 12:38 AM   #12
Advanced Member

Seat mod

I finished the seat, and took pics. I added one more layer of foam tonight. Feels great. We will see how it feels riding to Colorado tomorrow. Click on the picture, and I think you should be able to see the pictures.

Old 05-17-2010, 06:53 AM   #13
Advanced Member

Seat mod

I modified my stock seats by using a combination of gel and memory foam.

Recommendations:
  • If this is your first attempt, get a used seat on eBay and work on that. My second seat went a lot more smoothly and quickly. [/*:m:vmabyach]
  • There are several YouTube videos for technique. (motorcycle seat mod)[/*:m:vmabyach]
  • Gel is relatively expensive. If you have patience, bid for a used horse pad (?Equigel?) on eBay. It was enough to provide 2 layers for each seat. (I DID have to piecemeal the driver's seat).[/*:m:vmabyach]
  • Recommended to use an electric meat carving knife to cut your seat foam. I got the longest bladed Black and Decker. It works well for Thanksgiving, too.[/*:m:vmabyach]
My wife was very happy with the pillion. Since then, I got lucky and won a Mustang set up on eBay (because I didn't NEED it, of course) at an "I can't believe I won it" price. My mod was more comfortable for sitting, but Mustang has that little ridge that helps to support the lower back. Wife hasn't gone on any long trips yet with the Mustang. Her input will ultimately determine which set-up stays.

Old 05-17-2010, 06:53 AM   #14

Seat mod

I posted early last year during a discussion about seats and comfort that I had brought my seats to an upholstery guy who cut out part of the original foam and replaced it with memory foam. Since then I've put (as a guess) about 20,000 miles, if not more on the bike with some really long days during my cross country trip, and would do it again. I do think however that the seat has lost some of it's thickness. So I'm considering having a little more foam added. I think I paid about $125 for both seats.
I also want to point out if done correctly it should look like it did before the memory foam was added. That is unless you want it to look lower, which I guess is possible.

Old 05-18-2010, 12:36 AM   #15
Advanced Member

Seat mod

Thanks for the input, Bob and Flavor. I knew I had read about some KawaNow guys who modded their own seats.

Mine ended up costing around $18 for the foam. I put three 2" layers in.

Today was the real test. I rode it 470 miles today, and it was GREAT! I did not get the pressure points, aching, etc, that I have usually experienced. When I got done, I could have ridden farther (as far as my hindquarters were concerned). So, I am thrilled with the mod I was able to do. Glee said today she would now like me to do her pillion, as well.