Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Riding > Rides/Trip Reports/Travel Information

Old 09-16-2009, 06:48 PM   #1

Garmin 2nd party mapping

I have a Garmin 2820 Streetpilot that works great but the mapsource software is a bugger to work with. I also have Streets and Trips 2007 and it's much easier to use but you can't load it on my Garmin. Does anyone know if there's an easier route planning software for Garmin?

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 09-16-2009, 08:23 PM   #2
Mega-Contributor

Garmin 2nd party mapping

I use HD's Ride Planner.

I can plan my route and then download it directly to my Garmin Nuvi 550.
VBA #00105
H.O.G. #4250060

2011 H-D Ultra Limited 103ci

:: 2011 HD Electra Glide Ultra Limited w/Stage 1 ::

Rallies: Mesquite '08|Custer '09|Cortez '10|Crescent City '11|Kanab '12|Antlers '12|Estes Park '13|Antlers '13|Orofino '14|The Dalles '17

Old 09-17-2009, 06:09 AM   #3
VBA Founder

Garmin 2nd party mapping

True Bob....the HD route planner is a breeze to use and can be downloaded to a Garmin. But, the fact remains you really can't use any other type of software on a Garmin other than Mapsource.

Trip's Website

Custer 09, 18 / Maggie Valley 11 / Eureka Springs 09, 17 / Antlers 09, 10, 11, 13, 15, 16, 17, 18
Texas Hill Country / Deals Gap / Colorado / Wyoming / Montana / Utah / More trips for Trip

Old 09-23-2009, 05:25 PM   #4

Garmin 2nd party mapping

That map source program really is a pain.
Streets and Trips is much better. I just wish it was compatible with Garmin.
Do you have to have some kind of adapter to download Harleys version to Garmin?
VBA #9

2011 Victory Kingpin mine
2013 Victory Boardwalk -hers

[LEFT][COLOR=#000000]
[SIZE=4]

Old 09-23-2009, 05:33 PM   #5

Send a message via MSN to trevwales
Garmin 2nd party mapping

Use google maps, and download to the garmin. Google explanation for doing that. It works for new routes, but saved routes it doesn't.
Supposed to work with google earth too.

Works with my garmin zumo 550.

Trev

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 09-27-2009, 10:46 PM   #6

Garmin 2nd party mapping

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobzinger
I have a Garmin 2820 Streetpilot that works great but the mapsource software is a bugger to work with. I also have Streets and Trips 2007 and it's much easier to use but you can't load it on my Garmin. Does anyone know if there's an easier route planning software for Garmin?
I've been investigating this very issue because that is the most important feature if I get a GPS. I was able to install the mapsource software but it had no detail roads, presumably because I didn't have the City Navigator software which I guess works with it? Anyway, planning a route in HD planner and importing it into mapsource was easy and several users here and on the VRF have then been able to import the maps into their Garmin. I also took a hard look at the Tom Tom Rider 2, their equivalent of the Zumo but half the price. It comes with their equivalent of mapsource called TomTom Home which worthless IMO because it only does A to B and picks the route for you with no way to change it other than maybe on the unit itself. You can download that from their web site for free. HOWEVER, I found this free program called "tyre" here:

http://www.janboersma.nl/gett/

which BTW is included in the Tom Tom Home map program. I think is was developed initially by/for European users but has expanded to the US. It works with Google maps and Google earth. You lay out your route, save it and import it into the Tom Tom. It is also supposed to work with the Garmins. It has some limitations with only 48 way points per map but folks have worked around that by splitting the routes into smaller pieces. If you go to the download section there are quite a few maps in the US including two versions of Route 66. I was curious if anyone has used this with a Garmin (or Tom Tom) and/or would be willing to try it with their Garmin and report back. It seems to work pretty slick but not having a GPS kinda limits what I can do.

Thanks,

Pete

PS. If you use Mozilla Firefox like I do, you'll find the tyre site and downloads, etc. work better with MS Internet Explorer.