Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > Vulcan Nomad/Vaquero/Voyager

Old 08-28-2009, 06:52 PM   #1
Advanced Member

Elite IIIs Suck - Update

At least my front one does, err did. Let me explain.

About two weeks ago I had Dunlop E3s put on front and rear. A few days later, I noticed some vibration, more pronounced at higher speeds. The bike handled fine, but it just didn't feel right. What really raised my suspicion was when I noticed the shadow of my front tire vibrating while riding, but the rest of my bike shadow was smooth. While carefully leaning over (on a lone, straight tract of road) I could definitely see some wobble in the front tire.

So yesterday I road the bike back to the dealer who installed the tires. Verdict; front tire was splitting down the center. It originated inside of one of the tread tracts. This caused the entire tire to warp. I have another E3 tire on order but, needless to say, I'm Nomad-less this weekend. :'( But I'm not complaining... this could have been much worse.

Has anything like this ever happened to any of you?

I'll update when I get the bike back next week. Here's hoping for better luck with the replacement.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 08-28-2009, 07:02 PM   #2
Sr. Contributor

Elite IIIs Suck - Update

What is the date code on that, and then the serial number on it should be sent to Dunlop.

The date code would be nice here... i will assume you have no idea what I am talking about, so please bear with me, if you do.

All tires these days have a date code impressed in a oval on one side of the tire, and a modern code has 4 digits inside the oval.

The first 2 would be the year, and the last 2 the week of the year. So if it says 0723, the tire was made in 2007 and the week 23.

Sounds odd that this tire did that, and I hope it isn't a bad run.. I just bought a D 251F radial and am very pleased with it.

06 1600 Nomad
Just call me Mac
molon labe come and get it

Old 08-28-2009, 07:12 PM   #3
Advanced Member

Elite IIIs Suck - Update

I'll try to find out Mac. I didn't know it existed, but I can certainly see why.

We have similar production codes in healthcare. If a med (such as contrast media, in my field) results in a severe reaction, there is a batch or lot code that is reported back to the manufacturer. The purpose is to track problems with a given production run.

Thanks for enlightening me.

Old 08-28-2009, 07:55 PM   #4
Sr. Contributor

Elite IIIs Suck - Update

The serial number should be sent back to Dunlop in case this is a bad batch, they will want the date code as well.

We can't do a thing with the serial number, but if that code is older we can know E III's are still out there that shouldn't be.

A new tire on the shelf older than 6 years should atleaset be discounted and the installer should tell you, but they don't.

I also assume you are getting a new tire for free right? it better be. On the other hand the installer didn't do anything wrong, and if you like this guy who ever he is offer a tip of some sort, which would make you stand out.

If you didn't like the service then just take the new tire and run.

06 1600 Nomad
Just call me Mac

Old 08-28-2009, 08:12 PM   #5
Top Contributor

Elite IIIs Suck - Update

I have not experienced such a deal, but mac is right about the dates. Could be a old dated tire sold to you or a bad batch of tires, so numbers are important.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 08-28-2009, 09:32 PM   #6

Elite IIIs Suck - Update

About 6K mi on my E-IIIs (bias both) and couldn't be happier. Not all that much wear showing and rides smooth as silk w/ traditional balancing.

Old 08-28-2009, 10:45 PM   #7
Advanced Member

Elite IIIs Suck - Update

Damn straight I'm getting this tire for free! No issues (so far) with dealer service. They ordered the first tire -- didn't have the size in stock. BTW, I'm the first around here (according to them) to put E3s on a Nomad.

Old 08-29-2009, 06:28 AM   #8

Elite IIIs Suck - Update

We have been running the Elite 3's since they came out several years ago. Only had one that I didn't care for. I took about one and one half ounce of weight to balance it. I have had some that did not take any weight to balance. So far I have never had one do what yours has but there is alway a chance of something like that happening.

Old 08-29-2009, 08:46 AM   #9

Elite IIIs Suck - Update

I had the same basic experieince in 2008, I rode my brand new Elite III's to Coos Bay, Oregon and when I arrived My front tire was separating with knobs bulging around the center of the tread in 10 locations. They looked like half of a golf ball. Had to replace it with a Michelin.
My rear Elite III is doing great, I currently have about 11,000 on it and if I don't trade or replace it with a car tire I willl get another Elite III.

Mike "Kioti" Gregg
Peripheral visionary, wanderer, vagabond, pilgrim, rambler, roamer, nomad

VBA #00380
VROC #11078
Lennox, SD *AMERICA by GOD*

2016 Kawasaki Vaquero
2009 Victory Vision - gone
2006 Kawasaki Nomad - gone
2002 Kawasaki 1500 Classic - gone

"A Bumble Bee is considerably faster than a Super H Farmall"

2009 Black Hills Rally
2018 Black Hills Rally

Old 08-29-2009, 09:33 AM   #10

Elite IIIs Suck - Update

I put Elite 3's on last summer (F - bias / R - radial). No problems after 5000 miles and great handling. Any manufacturer can have a faulty run. That's why motorcycle tires should be inspected every ride, we can't afford to have a failure.

Old 08-29-2009, 09:55 AM   #11
Sr. Contributor

Elite IIIs Suck - Update

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kioti
I had the same basic experieince in 2008, I rode my brand new Elite III's to Coos Bay, Oregon and when I arrived My front tire was separating with knobs bulging around the center of the tread in 10 locations. They looked like half of a golf ball. Had to replace it with a Michelin.
My rear Elite III is doing great, I currently have about 11,000 on it and if I don't trade or replace it with a car tire I willl get another Elite III.
Classic for belt delamination... A defect in the tire from the day it was made.

This can occur when running over something cut the cords inside the tire as well. It is a real bad idea to ride on such a tire with out slowing down and using the utmost caution to get somewhere to buy another tire.

A tire like this should have a 1/2 inch hole drilled in after it if off, so it can't be used again.. Sometimes after they are taken off they appear to be ok...

What this is like comparing the human body is torn tendons.

Markus Maximus, has a similar problem, with a different effect. The tire cracked open in the center.

Usually this is rare, but it happens. Sometimes it is a batch, and other times just one tire of a batch.

This can happen to any brand, so it is wise idea to watch any new tire for a few thousand miles.

06 1600 Nomad
Just call me Mac

Old 08-29-2009, 05:12 PM   #12
Advanced Member

Elite IIIs Suck - Update

I've run several E3s and did have one go bad like yours. It was date code 2007, 20th week of 07.
Dunlop knows of the problem and will replace the tire for free.
There was a run of Metzeler 880s that did the same thing back in 2000 or 01.
No chance that yours is an old stock tire, E3 fronts were not made prior to 07.

Garry

Garry

2009 1700 Voyager KACT, sold at 679,465 kms
2011 1700 Nomad
Improve handling, suspension and tire life
with Garry's Fork Brace.
PM for details.

Old 08-29-2009, 06:56 PM   #13
Sr. Contributor

Elite IIIs Suck - Update

I see I had a dyslexic moment, and have the year and week reversed. gv550 has it correctly....

06 1600 Nomad
Just call me Mac

Old 08-29-2009, 09:41 PM   #14
Advanced Member

Elite IIIs Suck - Update

Quote:
Originally Posted by gv550
I've run several E3s and did have one go bad like yours. It was date code 2007, 20th week of 07.
Dunlop knows of the problem and will replace the tire for free.
There was a run of Metzeler 880s that did the same thing back in 2000 or 01.
No chance that yours is an old stock tire, E3 fronts were not made prior to 07.

Garry
Hmm. Wonder if my date code is 2007. I'll let you know.

Old 08-31-2009, 09:53 PM   #15
Top Contributor

Elite IIIs Suck - Update

A dealer I almost bought a tire from (cost waaayyy too much money), warned me about this too. I recently ordered my Avon Cobra's from SWMoto's website and the tires shipped from a warehouse here in Dallas. I had the tire in 2 days. I am going to have them installed this week, but I may have the dealer run the numbers first, just to make sure.
VBA #0002
VBA VP-Global
B.A.C.A. Hoss
2005 "StrongBear" Black/Silver

Todd and BD