Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > Vulcan Nomad/Vaquero/Voyager

Old 08-22-2008, 01:21 AM   #1

For the Newbies

I know that it can sometimes be daunting as you surf through the various threads and see the pics and avatars and maps included in the members posts. Every once in a while you'll also notice Nico or one of the others who have figured out how to "marquee" their messages. We're even sure that you have a few other questions lurking in your mind beginning with, "How did they do _____?" I understand how you feel, and even remember how I felt as a Newbie, and so to help you out I put together some threads that you should find interesting.

Before you read through the threads, may I suggest that you re-read Trips FAQ's http://www.kawanow.org/forumfaq/forumfaq.htm. Just like me, I'm sure that you missed some pertinent information, so when you read through it for the second or third time, you may find that your question has already been answered. Also, as you surf through the site, may I suggest that you look at old pages in each of the various Folders.

Anyhow, here are some suggested threads to read, and additional sites to check out:

The first thread you should visit should be in your respective area of the country (assuming you are located in North America).

Regarding the pictures and maps that some have in the "signature" boxes -- http://kawanow.proboards77.com/index...&page=1#108986

Gadget's Fix-It Page -- http://www.gadgetjq.com/gadgetsfixitpage.htm (also check out more link from the KawaNOW links page -- http://www.kawanow.org/links.htm. )

I know that there are many more post that are helpful, and maybe some of the other, more experienced members will put them in this thread for you to read. Great to have you join the site.
Rich

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 08-22-2008, 01:26 AM   #2

For the Newbies

Wolfman or Nico, I remember an old post in the "Lighter Side" folder where the idea of "marqueeing" was explained. I thought that was a great thread that would be helpful for Newbies. Do either of you remember where that was located?
Thanks, Rich

Old 08-22-2008, 12:25 PM   #3

For the Newbies

Usually the memory is the second thing to go.

Old 08-22-2008, 01:11 PM   #4
Top Contributor

For the Newbies

If you click on the word "reply" in the red bar at the top or the bottom of the thread rather than in the Quick Reply box you will see a couple of rows of buttons in the "Add Tags:" row. If you hover the cursor over each button you will get a description of what the button does if you click on it. For instance, the first button has a bold capitol B on it. If you click that button some characters will be added into the message box. It will look sort of like this:

[*b][*/b]

There will be no asterisks, I had to put them there otherwise the code wouldn't display in this post.

Anything that you type in between the two brackets in the center will display as bold type.

Example: These letters display in BOLD

Color of text:

Click on the arrow at the right side of the box with the word Colors and then click on any of the colors. If you clicked on "yellow" you would get this, again without the asterisks and with out the text I have typed between the two center brackets:

[*color=Yellow]Anything you type here will display as yellow text[*/color]

Example: These letters display in yellow

Marquee, or letters scrolling from right to left, is done by using the button with the letter M with the left pointing arrow on it.

Experiment with the other buttons and you will see how they work.

Also, while experimenting, click on the "Preview" button instead of the "Post Reply" button. You will then see what your post will look like and you can fix anything you want before you actually post it.

At the top of each page right beneath the KawaNOW logo is a bar with the words, "home", "help", "search", etc.

Click on "help" and you will get a Proboards tutorial which explains a bunch of stuff.

The main thing is to look at stuff on the pages and experiment to see what they do.

Have fun! ;)

Bob
KawaNOW/VBA 210
Green/Silver 2006
Patriot Guard Riders 2009

Old 08-22-2008, 04:08 PM   #5

For the Newbies

Thanks Bob!

<marquee>Yipppeeee!!!!</marquee>

Robert(skeeter)Dozier
07 Red&Titanium Nomad
81 Suzuki 850GL
KawaNow pre#

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 08-22-2008, 07:55 PM   #6

For the Newbies

This is neat !!

<marquee>WAHOOOOOOO</marquee>

Old 08-22-2008, 08:19 PM   #7

For the Newbies

lol...you awl ar eesily entertaned!!!

Don't fogit teh spel chek!!! It says "Spell Check"

{lol...sorry...couldn't help myself!! }

I tried I really did!!

I just discovered you can change the font!!!

Old 08-22-2008, 08:58 PM   #8

For the Newbies

<s> smell check</s> :-/

Robert(skeeter)Dozier
07 Red&Titanium Nomad
81 Suzuki 850GL
KawaNow pre#

Old 08-22-2008, 09:10 PM   #9

For the Newbies

I found the spell check button thing......not bad for a hill jack!

Old 08-22-2008, 09:25 PM   #10

For the Newbies

Good man rksaw!

Audiogooroo - Daryl Porter
Colorado Springs, CO
VBA #248
VROC #17261
1999 Grn/Grn Nomad

Old 08-25-2008, 02:42 AM   #11

For the Newbies

Bob, Good add to explain the postings.

AG, I just remember some of the stupid mistakes I made and the steep learning curve to "fit in". Hopefully this will help those who are considering joining or have recently joined the family.

Old 08-25-2008, 07:22 AM   #12

For the Newbies

Wow,all this time and I never knew how to do this. This is too cool.

Old 08-30-2008, 03:07 AM   #13

For the Newbies

Chainsaw sent me a question through a Personal Message, and I thought it was so good I copied it and posted it here for others to read:

Quote:
:-[ :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[
Question: How do I reduce the photo size of my pictures? I finally figured out how to get them to my signature, but the pictures are original size. Want to reduce them to about the size of your wife and kids picture. HHHHHHHHHHEEEEEEEEEEELLLLLLLLLLLPPPPPPPPPPP.
Thanks,
Chainsaw.
Thanks for asking. I took my pictures and opened them in "Microsoft Paint". If you use a pc, you can view the pictures and "right click" on them...it will offer about 15 things for you to do including "rename", "print" and "rotate clockwise" as well as others. What you want is to click on the "open with" function and the second option of that new window should be "paint".

When it opens the picture, at the top of the toolbar, click "image" and then click "attributes". I reduced my to 10% of normal...Trip's rules are to keep the pictures smaller than 350 X 350. Once you resize your picture, save it under a different name. That way you can always go back to the original picture if you need to.

Try this out Chainsaw, and see if my directions were clear enough. If not, send me another message, and I'll give you my phone number and we'll work out a time that I can talk you through it.

Take care and good riding,
Rich

Old 08-30-2008, 07:32 AM   #14

For the Newbies

Thanks for the info guys.

Old 08-30-2008, 10:56 AM   #15

For the Newbies

My advice is to use the various special effects to good effect, that is to help get your message across and to be seen--but be careful not to obscure it by going overboard.

<marquee> I just find this kind of thing to be supremely annoying because it goes so slowly that it takes forever to read something that wasn't all that important or interesting in the first place. </marquee>

See what I mean?