Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > General > Off-Topic

Old 03-30-2010, 10:29 PM   #1

Trailer

Thanks to everyone responding to my last posting about trailer hitches and the piggyback trailer. I have decided to go with Chuckster for the hitch and the piggybacker with the leaf springs for the trailer. I have never pulled a trailer behind a motorcycle before. Can those of you that have pulled a trailer offer some advice - some do's and don'ts? How bad does crosswind effect you when towing? Your help in this matter will be greatly appreciated.

Bull

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 03-30-2010, 10:35 PM   #2
Sr. Contributor

Send a message via AIM to AlabamaNomadRider Send a message via Yahoo to AlabamaNomadRider
Trailer

I have never pulled a trailer with a motorcycle but I drove an eighteen wheeler and I know that crosswinds do have an effect. I am sure it wouldn't be as drastic though. You will see a drop in fuel mileage for sure. I am sure CajunRider and some of the other guys will let you know for sure.

Gene Cross, Jr.
Boaz, Alabama
KawaNOW/VBA #1181

Old 03-30-2010, 10:49 PM   #3

Trailer

You will be happy with Joe's hitch. This will be my second season pulling a trailer. It's really not much of a challenge if it is loaded properly.
My aluminum trailer weighs in the range of 225 to 250 pounds loaded....maybe a little more on the longer trips.
The tounge weight is normally about 10% - 15% of the total weight.
I normally air up the trailer tires to about 30 psig. I have had good luck running that pressure. Some like less.
If the trailer is wider than the width of your saddlebags be very careful in your 90 degree turns and when passing through tight spots. Don't forget it is behind you. Allow yourself more room to stop. This is even more vital if the roadway is wet.
I always find it easier to pull forward in a parking spot rather than attempting to back the trailer into the spot. I find it easier to back the trailer out of the parking spot into an open driveway rather than backing it up to the curb. The trailer is also more visible than the Nomad to someone wanting to pull into the same parking spot.
Get into the habit of checking your tail lights everytime you stop for fuel. That's all you have to keep someone from cleaning your plow from behind.
Stiff crosswinds will let you know that the trailer is back there but the winds are manageable. Coming back from Custer last year, I know we went through 30 mph crosswinds at times.
You can expect your fuel economy to drop anywhere from 5 to 20 mpg depending on the terrain and how heavy your trailer is. I guess a good average mpg would be in the 28 - 35 range.

Take short runs with your trailer starting with it unloaded. Increase the payload as you gain confidence. Before you know it you will be forgetting it is behind you. Good luck and take care.

2016 Electra Glide Ultra Limited CVO
Palladium Silver / Phantom Blue
110 cu in SE

2012 Electra Glide Ultra Limited (Traded 6/22/16)
Tequila Sunrise / HD Orange
Vance & Hines true dual headers
Rinehart 4" slip ons
Screamin Eagle Super Tuner
Screamin Eagle Stage 1 intake
Dyno tuned
H.O.G.# 4514015

2007 Nomad 1600 (Traded 6/23/12)
VBA #482

Old 03-30-2010, 11:44 PM   #4
Sr. Contributor

Send a message via AIM to AlabamaNomadRider Send a message via Yahoo to AlabamaNomadRider
Trailer

I knew Mitch would come through for you. I knew he was experienced with pulling a trailer.

Gene Cross, Jr.
Boaz, Alabama
KawaNOW/VBA #1181

Old 03-31-2010, 09:30 AM   #5
Mega-Contributor

Trailer

When you first get the trailer, hitch it up and go for a ride. Get used to the feel of having it back there. Really, once you get moving from a dead stop, you forget it's back there. You have to remember it's back there when changing lanes, turning and stopping. That extra weight means you need a little more room to come to a stop.

My trailer is a bit wider than my bike, so I tend to ride more in the center of the lane than I usually do. When parking, try to pull through, because backing can be a pain. These small trailers jacknife really quickly when backing.

The convenience of having a trailer can't be overstated. It's great to have room to carry extra helmets, boots, and have room for those odds and ends you always seem to pick up when traveling.
VBA #00105
H.O.G. #4250060

2011 H-D Ultra Limited 103ci

:: 2011 HD Electra Glide Ultra Limited w/Stage 1 ::

Rallies: Mesquite '08|Custer '09|Cortez '10|Crescent City '11|Kanab '12|Antlers '12|Estes Park '13|Antlers '13|Orofino '14|The Dalles '17

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 04-01-2010, 08:55 AM   #6
Sr. Contributor

Trailer

See gadjets bit on wiring this trailer and follow that to the letter. BUY the HOPPY converter!
http://www.gadgetjq.com/trailer.htm

The only place wind has really bothered ne is on open exposed bridges, really big bridges, or really long bridges. amd once out on I-10 where the wind was so bad tractor trailers towing 3 full trailers driving east in the passing lane had the last trailer well into the breakdown lane.

I really didn't like that at all. I could not pass them if I had wanted too, but worse they could not pass me. We were all doing apx 80 Mph, or 90 on the uncorrected clock on the Nomad. because i couldn't see ahead well I managed to miss 2 exits as well which was setting me off, as i just wanted off I-10

06 1600 Nomad
Just call me Mac
molon labe come and get it

Old 04-01-2010, 09:57 AM   #7

Trailer

These are some really good tips! We are new to trailering too, so I really appreciate all the wisedom you share!!!

Cheri Ann
2012 Vulcan Vaquero
VBA #2069