Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > Vulcan Nomad/Vaquero/Voyager

Old 01-20-2009, 02:57 PM   #1

Motorcycle Alarm

I plan on doing some overnight trips soon, but I am a little leary of leaving my bike in a motel parking lot. I've been thinking about getting an alarm system but don't really know much about them. I think it would be good to have a paging feature, but other than that, I don't really know what features to look for. Any one on here have any experience, good or bad? Any particular brand or model recommendations?

Thanks
Scotty

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 01-20-2009, 03:02 PM   #2

Motorcycle Alarm

Good question i've always been curious as well.

Old 01-20-2009, 03:23 PM   #3

Motorcycle Alarm

I had an alarm on my VTX, it was a Gorilla brand that I bought from Dennis Kirk. It worked well, although it didnt' have a paging feature on it. It had a small remote like a car alarm does, and it beeped once it was armed. It has a mercury sensor that goes off if the bike is brought up to level off the kickstand. I haven't put it on my Nomad yet, not sure if I will. We moved last year to a more rural area.

Old 01-20-2009, 03:29 PM   #4
Advanced Member

Motorcycle Alarm

I do alot of long trips where we stay in hotels I to was a little leary about leaving my ride in the parking lot. I have found that most hotels are very good about letting you put your bike up by the office or many other good spots where they are a little safer. But I have never had anyone mess with it. If im with a buddy I use a cable lock and loop it to both our front wheels.

Old 01-20-2009, 03:29 PM   #5
Top Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to rickyboy
Motorcycle Alarm

Hey there everyone,
I thought a lot about the same thing and considered the many options out there. I went the route of the Xena disc lock with a siren. I believe the model I bought was the XN18. It is extremely solid with a very sensitive 96 decibel ear piercing alarm. My biggest concern was that I would forget to disarm or remove ANY disc lock. We can all imagine what that would be like. But there isn't much of a chance of that happening with this lock. When the frt. wheel is moved ever so slightly the alarm will warn you with a short series of "beeps". If movement continues the full alarm will sound and will no doubt be heard. If,... after the alarm has gone off, the bike is left alone again, the alarm resets it'self after I believe 20 seconds.
I particularly like some of the options available that work with the disc lock. Give this product some serious consideration before buying anything else. IMHO it's well worth, what might seem to be, a high price.

http://www.xenasecurity.com/home/current/lock/

Nomad'a What !
"rickyboy"

Richard Cole
Canada West Region
108 Mile Ranch, British Columbia
Canada
Vulcan Bagger Assoc. #00722
Black 2006 Nomad

https://cdn2.iconfinder.com/data/ico...Book_32x32.png

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 01-20-2009, 03:36 PM   #6
Mega-Contributor

Motorcycle Alarm

At a motel, whenever possible I try to park in a well-lighted area, visible from my room (if possible). I use a disc lock also.

I have a new concern, securing my trailer for the night. I could lock it to a post or lock it to the bike itself, which would make both much more difficult to steal. That's probably what I'll do.

I've heard if you leave an empty pistol holster on the seat or tied to the handlebars, that's a pretty powerful deterrent.
VBA #00105
H.O.G. #4250060

2011 H-D Ultra Limited 103ci

:: 2011 HD Electra Glide Ultra Limited w/Stage 1 ::

Rallies: Mesquite '08|Custer '09|Cortez '10|Crescent City '11|Kanab '12|Antlers '12|Estes Park '13|Antlers '13|Orofino '14|The Dalles '17

Old 01-20-2009, 03:53 PM   #7

Motorcycle Alarm

Large cable lock.......go around a tree or pole with it...or cable several bikes together.

Old 01-20-2009, 05:01 PM   #8
Advanced Member

Motorcycle Alarm

Some good suggestions, I personaly like the empty holster

Victor "Nightmare" Golubowsky
Moyers, Ok
Kawanow/VBA # 304
Patriot Guard
VROC
OKVROC

2001 Kawasaki Nomad Turbo
1998 Harley Sportster Hardtail Bobber Custom
1983 Kawasaki GPZ 550

Old 01-20-2009, 05:08 PM   #9
Top Contributor

Motorcycle Alarm

Most people now ignore auto alarms when they hear them due to the number of false alarms. That may also be true of motorcycle alarms. I think a good security cable at least 3/8" thick and long enough to get around something like a tall post or tree is the safest.

Bob
KawaNOW/VBA 210
Green/Silver 2006
Patriot Guard Riders 2009

Old 01-20-2009, 05:28 PM   #10

Motorcycle Alarm

WOw that xena is a cool deal but it is spendy. Can someone recommend a good cable lock or would a standard bicycle cable lock be ok. Doesn't seem to me that would be long enough though, right?
Perhaps a $35 purchase of a cover that comes with a 45 inch lock would be a good deal. they have them on amazon all the time.

Old 01-20-2009, 07:31 PM   #11

Motorcycle Alarm

i have done quite a bit of overnighting at motels. The first thing I learned is that if you cover it, people will leave it alone. The only time that I have had people touch my bike is when I left it uncovered in a well lit, protected spot. And then, they were just looking and admiring. I also always lock mine up, normally disc lock with a large reminder cord (so they can see it is locked up if they peer under the cover).

I installed an Audiovox AA-930 remote alarm. It senses movement as well as voltage changes. Translation: somebody bump it or sits on it, the bike alarm goes off. If someone turns on anything electric or tries to start it, the alarm goes off.

Installation could not be easier - just 2 wires to the batter. since it comes with two remotes, there is also a wire antenae. I put mine in the left side cover. The sensitivity can also be adjusted. here is a full description
http://tinyurl.com/8jmlzx

I picked mine up for about $40 at autozone.

Old 01-20-2009, 07:34 PM   #12
Advanced Member

Motorcycle Alarm

This is what I got

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Trima...91210007r28572

Old 01-20-2009, 07:48 PM   #13

Motorcycle Alarm

Put a Honda Goldwing cover over her and the thieves will think its a wing and move on. Madno?

Old 01-20-2009, 07:49 PM   #14

Motorcycle Alarm

I use a disc lock from Wal Mart with a reminder line on it and i lock the neck. Also being 6'3 260 lbs is a good deterent.
I like the gun holster idea

Old 01-20-2009, 07:49 PM   #15

Motorcycle Alarm

Hubie and I will cable lock our bikes' front wheels together unless the motel/hotel has offered to let us park right up front 'so they can keep an eye on the bikes for ya'...which a lot of places will offer to do. Also if he takes his trailer he cable locks it to a post or tree. The are big thick cables. We trailered a bike one time day and half from home to have some 'specialized work' done on it. Hubie had cable locked front wheel in trailer and the trailer hitch had a lock on it so we could sleep at the motel without worrying. Trouble was when we got to the shop....could not find the key for the cable lock. They used a dremel to cut the cable but it took them a while.... :-[.

Mentioning the gun holster reminded me. Several years ago we were at a rally...last day we planned on getting up early to head out. When we got out to the bikes there was a sack on my hubie's seat......chock full of gun locks?!? We figured someone left them on the wrong Wing....oh well loaded them up and took them home.
Kawanow Member #23
Hubbie-Ken '10 Metalic Black Goldwing