Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1500 & 1600 Nomad

Old 03-22-2015, 07:15 AM   #1

Recent Mods and observations/questions

I have done quite a few mods and changes over the last few years but the most recent ones since last Christmas are :

Left dogbowl as a hidden key holder
Tilt sensor to existing alarm.
Side gapping the plugs.
Installing Dynabeads.

I asked the forum a while back on idea's to where/how hide a spare key but wasn't till recently I read a member had lined and sealed up his leftside dogbowl. I did the same, so thank you to whoever that was for that idea :)
Would it be possible to tackweld the bolt from the inside without damaging the chrome so that the dogbowl would simply twist/turn off and back on by hand ? Maybe another way to have the bolt permanently attached ?

Side gapping was fiddly during the cutting (wasted 2 plugs). Bike runs great. As for fuel mileage I haven't checked yet.
One concern I have is that now the flame/ignition spark is directed more downwards, would this cause a hole to burn in the piston top over time more so than the standard plug ?

With the Dynabeads I went to rip the old balance weights off first....hmmm, no weights front or back !!.....damn ! I had noticeable vibration through the handlebars but put this down to the setup with Phat risers. On my first ride with the beads in I had a lot less vibration through the bars...very happy lad :) I should have put these in years ago.
Do you think that having more than the stated amount in the tire would be beneficial or just a waste of $ ? Currently have 1oz in front, 2oz in rear.

Any thoughts or first hand knowledge greatly appreciated.
Pete.
07 Nomad debaffled, cobra fuel tuner, Chucks air intake.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 03-22-2015, 08:15 AM   #2
Top Contributor

Any welding near chrome will probably destroy the chrome.

If you are wary of the side gapped plugs I would remove them and fit stock ones for peace of mind.

If Dynabeads is telling you to put a certain amount in the tires I would stick with that amount.

Old 03-22-2015, 08:22 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete View Post

I asked the forum a while back on idea's to where/how hide a spare key but wasn't till recently I read a member had lined and sealed up his leftside dogbowl. I did the same, so thank you to whoever that was for that idea :)
Hey, that was me!!! I carry a small Allen key for the bolt in my windshield bag, but love your idea.
If not a tack weld then maybe a longer bolt with a nylon lock nut on the other side would do the same.
Cobra Fi2000r ,Fire & Steel light bar,Cobra freeway bars, Kuryakyn highway pegs,Kuryakyn pedal covers,Barons 7 LED tachometer, Chucksters' 2" risers, Kuryakyn RTB controller, Kuryakyn grips, heel and toe covers. Galfer S.S. braided lines.

Old 03-22-2015, 08:40 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kybenz View Post
Hey, that was me!!! I carry a small Allen key for the bolt in my windshield bag, but love your idea.
If not a tack weld then maybe a longer bolt with a nylon lock nut on the other side would do the same.
Well thank you Kybenz, bloody great idea mate
I thought about a locknut on the other side but only prob is that the bowl would move away from it's base due to the plastic mount with bolt thread inside. It looks like the inside of the bowl sits up snug against it. Thought about cutting it back a bit but a bit hesitant thou.

Old 03-22-2015, 10:15 AM   #5
Mega-Contributor

It would be a waste of money to ignore Dynabeads' recommendations and ruin your tire over a few $ worth of product.
VBA #00105
H.O.G. #4250060

2011 H-D Ultra Limited 103ci

:: 2011 HD Electra Glide Ultra Limited w/Stage 1 ::

Rallies: Mesquite '08|Custer '09|Cortez '10|Crescent City '11|Kanab '12|Antlers '12|Estes Park '13|Antlers '13|Orofino '14|The Dalles '17

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 03-22-2015, 12:41 PM   #6

Doesn't Dynabead recommend 2 ozs per tire in motorcycle tires? I run 2 ozs in front, and 3ozs in my rear car tire. It would be just wasting $$ to use more than recommended amount, unless the tire itself is that bad out of balance.

Cliff "VulcanE" Evans
2005 Blue & Silver 1600 Nomad
VBA # 320
VROC # 20381

Old 03-22-2015, 05:53 PM   #7

As to the dogbowl, you could try JB Weld on the inside, or use a carriage bolt and file the hole into a square instead of round.
Using more than recommended on the beads most likely won't improve things, but if they suggest 2 oz per tire, that is what I would use.

Yoda
VBA #01311
SCRC Chapter 289
07 Nomad

Old 03-22-2015, 06:06 PM   #8

Have you considered the E-3 plugs? I use them in both bikes and love the way they work.

Old 03-23-2015, 07:38 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoda View Post
As to the dogbowl, you could try JB Weld on the inside, or use a carriage bolt and file the hole into a square instead of round.
Using more than recommended on the beads most likely won't improve things, but if they suggest 2 oz per tire, that is what I would use.
A chemical weld might just do the trick. Coach bolt not sure but will def look into both. Thank you.

As for the Dynabeads amount, 1 in front 2 in back as per my tire size.
I asked about extra beads in case someone had thrown in a little extra after initial amount to see if even less vibration but I'm guessin that it's not noticeable anyway.

Downside to sidegapping is, apparently, shorter plug life due to less contact area ( just read it on another site). So reckon I'll go back to stock after a while. Any long termer users of this method around ?
The e3's are a bit pricey but maybe......
Thanks for all the input guys.
Pete.

Old 10-15-2015, 01:15 AM   #10

good place to hide keys is the passenger floor boards (hollow).........
Cadmad / K&N + original intact
Progresive 412HD / Front springs also
Darkside rear tire 36psi 195/55/16
Towbar/ classic trailer
Penrite HPR15 diesel oil
Led lights front and back

Old 10-15-2015, 08:21 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooter1600 View Post
good place to hide keys is the passenger floor boards (hollow).........
Ahh nice.
I sorted out the left dog bowl as a hidden hidey hole. Works well.
Cheers.

Old 10-16-2015, 12:11 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete View Post
Ahh nice.
I sorted out the left dog bowl as a hidden hidey hole. Works well.
Cheers.
Well Pete, if you see a blue and silver nomad cruising around WA towing a trailer,
that'll be me next month.... so hide your bike cause I know where you hide your keys .......

Mark
Cadmad / K&N + original intact
Progresive 412HD / Front springs also
Darkside rear tire 36psi 195/55/16
Towbar/ classic trailer
Penrite HPR15 diesel oil
Led lights front and back

Old 10-18-2015, 03:58 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooter1600 View Post
Well Pete, if you see a blue and silver nomad cruising around WA towing a trailer,
that'll be me next month.... so hide your bike cause I know where you hide your keys .......

Mark
No worries mate lol
Enjoy the trip...you lucky buggar :)