Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1500 & 1600 Nomad

Old 07-27-2013, 07:25 PM   #1

Spotlights on '99 Nomad

Gentlemen, I have an issue in need of resolution! Last summer I bought my 1999 1500 Nomad -- great shape, everything still works. Spotlights were already mounted and functioning on it. Turn signals are mounted to the lightbar underneath the spotlights.

HOWEVER, the spotlights DO NOT shut off (like the headlamp does) when attempting to start the engine, and NEVER have done so for the 12 months I've owned the bike. As a result, I'm now on my 2nd new battery. I think this is a cause for my battery woes.

MOM (owner's manual) states that the factory installed auxiliary electrical accessory hookups are rated for 10 Amps maximum. I'm contemplating wiring these spotlights to the front acc. hookup (located under the meter instruments). Nothing is currently connected to these hookups.

Currently, the lightbar is hooked up in a seemingly odd fashion, and here are how the respective wires are connected:

DRIVER'S RIGHT <----> HEADLAMP BUCKET
GREY <--------------->RED/BLUE
BLACK/YELLOW <------>GREY

DRIVER'S LEFT <-------> HEADLAMP BUCKET
BLUE <---------------->RED/BLUE (different wire than connected to driver's right)
BLACK/YELLOW <------>GREEN

These spotlights are sealed beam units, and differ on each side. The data printed on the back of each unit is as follows:
Driver's right: "WAGNER 4449 12.8V SAEC 30W A4 2 1"
Driver's left: "GE 4411 TRACTOR 12V 35W JUN/13/08 10:11 15"

My questions:
1. Can I SAFELY connect these spotlights to the front electrical accessory hookup WITHOUT overloading the electrical system? I plan on installing my cigarette lighter at some point in the future as well.
2. I want to be able to turn the spotlights off via a toggle switch prior to starting the engine in order to maximize my battery life. Is this an attainable goal?
3. If the answers to both of the above is "YES", well, just how do I go about doing so?

PLEASE keep in mind that the front turn signals are mounted DIRECTLY BENEATH the spotlights, and are to be considered one unit.

I apologize for the length of this post, but I think it appropriate to provide all the pertinent info I have available to avoid confusion. THANK YOU ALL!

Illegitimati non carborundum
-
Gen. Joseph Stilwell

1999 VN 1500 Nomad

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Last edited by mapleleafalumnus; 07-27-2013 at 07:32 PM.

Old 07-27-2013, 07:53 PM   #2

Run the spots thru a relay that triggers on with the headlight. You can then put a switch between the relay and the spots for on off control and they will not drain the system until the bike is running.

Old 07-27-2013, 08:28 PM   #3
Top Contributor

From your description of the wire colors I would say that your spotlights are wired directly into the running lights. The running lights are powered by the tail light fuse. It should be number 3 in the junction box. It is supposed to be a 10 amp fuse. Check that fuse and if it's bigger than 10 amps then whoever wired the spots to the running lights put in a bigger fuse. Probably because the 10 amp fuse kept blowing.

Don't wire the spots to the accessory circuit.

It would be better to feed the spots through a relay. If you want the spots to come on with the headlight, just trigger the relay with the wire that feeds the headlight. That sould be a blue/yellow wire coming out of the junction box.

P.S. You're not kidding about it being wired strangely.

The Red/Blue wires feed the running lights.
The Gray wire feeds the Right turn light.
The Green wire feeds the Left turn light.
The Black/Yellow is a ground.

Beats me how it is working at all.

Bob
KawaNOW/VBA 210
Green/Silver 2006
Patriot Guard Riders 2009

Last edited by Yellow Jacket; 07-27-2013 at 08:41 PM.

Old 07-27-2013, 08:53 PM   #4

Gentlemen, I thank you both! Yellow Jacket, I will definitely NOT connect the spots to the acc. circuit as per your instructions! Old Carp, I like the simplicity of your solution, and I think this is the best way to do this, because simple is best, especially when it comes to combining electrics and myself. I intend to leave as much of the current wiring and connections in place as possible so I don't mess up anything else.
A HEAP BIG "THANKYA!" FELLAS!!!!

-
Gen. Joseph Stilwell

1999 VN 1500 Nomad

Old 08-10-2013, 11:53 PM   #5

Just an update bump to this thread. I bought a Kuryakin switch harness complete w/relay and inline fuse, and installed it earlier today. Instead of connecting it to the headlamp wire, I connected it directly to the positive battery terminal, and it works great. I just wanted to keep it as simple as possible.
I also wish to thank Old Carp and Yellow Jacket again for their insight and instruction -- YOU GUYS ROCK!!!

-
Gen. Joseph Stilwell

1999 VN 1500 Nomad

Login or Register to Remove Ads