Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1700 Nomad, Vaquero & Voyager

Old 01-19-2012, 12:43 AM   #1

vaquero

Need some real feed back on the vaquero. I really like the looks of the bike. Have not test rode one. Read reviews from the (experts) and most seem to just like the bike, but it seems to fall short of the (comparisons). Such as HD road glide or statoliner. I just want to know if the guys that got them and ride them would buy them again. Pros and cons.
Thanks

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 01-19-2012, 01:59 AM   #2

You're on a Kawasaki forum. The audience may be biased.
VBA #1051 (Former President)

Old 01-19-2012, 02:58 AM   #3
Top Contributor

No motorcycle (or car/truck/airplane/space shuttle) is perfect. I don't think the Stratoliner is in the same class as the Vaquero but I think you can get them a bit cheaper (as well you should). The Road Glide is much less refined looking but aftermarket support is HUGE! The closest Victory model is the Vision Tour. It's got loads of features but it's much more expensive (and ugly). The other bikes might be in the same general class as the Vaquero but really are worlds apart in how they accomplish their task. I think the Vaquero is as good a combination of value, manners, features and looks as you're going to get. Would I buy one given my current financial state? Probably. Would I buy one if I was Bill Gates illegitimate bastard child? Probably not.
Patriot Guard Rider
USArmy 1987-1990
2021 Can Am Spyder RT

2018 Can Am Spyder RT Limited - SOLD
2014 Nomad - SOLD
2012 Victory Vision - SOLD
2007 Black Nomad - SOLD
VMC #9367
VBA #1860

Old 01-19-2012, 04:28 AM   #4
Sr. Contributor

Send a message via AIM to AlabamaNomadRider Send a message via Yahoo to AlabamaNomadRider
They are one of the best looking rides available. If I were buying today with my finances it would be my choice.

Gene Cross, Jr.
Boaz, Alabama
KawaNOW/VBA #1181

Old 01-19-2012, 08:00 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkeyman View Post
No motorcycle (or car/truck/airplane/space shuttle) is perfect. I don't think the Stratoliner is in the same class as the Vaquero but I think you can get them a bit cheaper (as well you should). The Road Glide is much less refined looking but aftermarket support is HUGE! The closest Victory model is the Vision Tour. It's got loads of features but it's much more expensive (and ugly). The other bikes might be in the same general class as the Vaquero but really are worlds apart in how they accomplish their task. I think the Vaquero is as good a combination of value, manners, features and looks as you're going to get. Would I buy one given my current financial state? Probably. Would I buy one if I was Bill Gates illegitimate bastard child? Probably not.
Vision Tour? The closest Victory model to a Vaquero is the Cross Country. Hard bags, fairing with gauges and tunes. Kawasaki Vaquero list is $17,199. Victory Cross Country list is $18,999. I would not consider that "much more expensive".

2011 National Rally
2012 NCR Rally
2012 Antlers Rally
2013 National Rally
2013 Antlers Rally
2014 NC/SC Rally
2014 Antlers Rally
2015 VRA/VBA Rally
2016 NCR Rally
2016 Antlers Rally
2017 Antlers Rally
2018 NC/SC Rally
2018 Antlers Rally
2019 Antlers Rally
2020 Antlers Rally
2022 Antlers Rally
2023 Antlers Rally

2021 Indian Roadmaster Limited
2022 Indian Roadmaster

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 01-19-2012, 08:05 AM   #6
Advanced Member

I put some serious seat time on the Vaquero when Kawasaki brought their Vulcan Nation tour to the American Voyager Association Rally. We were running 70 through the woods on 35 MPH curves. The bike is pretty awesome. I considered trading my Mean Streak in on one, but my wife convinced me that the Vaquero and the Voyager were almost the same bike plus she couldn't believe I would even consider parting with the Mean Streak.

If you compare the Vaquero to the Road Glide, Vision Street, Cross Country, Stratoliner Deluxe the Vaquero provides the biggest bang for the buck. The Road Glide and Vision Street are the only other frame mounted fairing bikes and frame mounted fairings rock compared to handlebar mounted farings if you like to shread the curves or ride in cross winds.

The advantages the Road Glide and Vision Street have over the Vaquero is the ability to easily set the bike up for touring or riding the local roads. Both have quick release tour packs available as well as other touring accomodations. So, if your wanting a bike that can do it all the Road Glide or Vision Street is your starting point. Of course I hope you have deep pockets. Those bikes will cost you almost double what you can snag a '11 Vaquero for.

2010 Vulcan Voyager, 2007 Vulcan Mean Streak, 2009 Vulcan Nomad

Old 01-19-2012, 08:09 AM   #7
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GIBBY View Post
Vision Tour? The closest Victory model to a Vaquero is the Cross Country. Hard bags, fairing with gauges and tunes. Kawasaki Vaquero list is $17,199. Victory Cross Country list is $18,999. I would not consider that "much more expensive".
Your comparing frame mounted fairing to handlebar mounted fairing. No comparison in the handling and riding in the wind. the Vaquero wins hands down. The Vision Street is the bike that compares to the Vaquero.

Today you can buy '11 Vaqueros for $11,000. Doesn't look like Victory is making the Vision Street any more.

2010 Vulcan Voyager, 2007 Vulcan Mean Streak, 2009 Vulcan Nomad

Old 01-19-2012, 08:42 AM   #8

I love my Vaquero, one commonality I notice in most of the comparisons in any magazine is a quote similar to this, "The Vaquero has everything you want, sometimes more, for thousands of dollars cheaper, but come on, the other is a Harley. We choose the Harley."

Elitist attitudes of many (won't say all) is a big reason I reject Harley. I don't want to be associated. Plus, how can you stand out from the crowd if you're riding the same bike. Thankfully, Kawasaki has some great bikes so I don't have to compromise anything. Except aftermarket support, that's my only peeve. However, that means a little sweat equity makes your bike truly unique.

Old 01-19-2012, 09:19 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheeladdict View Post
Your comparing frame mounted fairing to handlebar mounted fairing. No comparison in the handling and riding in the wind. the Vaquero wins hands down. The Vision Street is the bike that compares to the Vaquero.

Today you can buy '11 Vaqueros for $11,000. Doesn't look like Victory is making the Vision Street any more.
Knowing that Victory has discontinued the Vision Street and the Vision 8-Ball, I knowingly did not mention a bike that is no longer available. I spent a little seat time on a Vaquero during the National Rally in N.C. and if I was given one I would sell it and buy something else.

2011 National Rally
2012 NCR Rally
2012 Antlers Rally
2013 National Rally
2013 Antlers Rally
2014 NC/SC Rally
2014 Antlers Rally
2015 VRA/VBA Rally
2016 NCR Rally
2016 Antlers Rally
2017 Antlers Rally
2018 NC/SC Rally
2018 Antlers Rally
2019 Antlers Rally
2020 Antlers Rally
2022 Antlers Rally
2023 Antlers Rally

2021 Indian Roadmaster Limited
2022 Indian Roadmaster

Old 01-19-2012, 09:35 AM   #10
Mega-Contributor

I'd have bought a Vaquero last spring if there was a tourpak option available. I do a lot of touring and a tourpak is essential. I didn't want to have to fabricate/modify something, so I paid a little bit more to get a bike "that doesn't stand out from the crowd". Unless I'm riding with a bunch of other Harleys and my bike does stand out because it's got a unique paint scheme.
VBA #00105
H.O.G. #4250060

2011 H-D Ultra Limited 103ci

:: 2011 HD Electra Glide Ultra Limited w/Stage 1 ::

Rallies: Mesquite '08|Custer '09|Cortez '10|Crescent City '11|Kanab '12|Antlers '12|Estes Park '13|Antlers '13|Orofino '14|The Dalles '17

Old 01-19-2012, 10:25 AM   #11

I have ridden the H-D, the Strat, and the vaquero. I bought the Vaquero without hesitation. It fits me MUCH better than the HD and the features on it are far superior to the Strat. Reiterating what was said previously, the frame mounted fairing makes the bike a dream to ride in the wind.

Old 01-19-2012, 10:57 AM   #12
Top Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by GIBBY View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheeladdict View Post

The way the fairing is mounted was the basis for my comparison. The Tour was the only one I saw that had a frame mounted fairing. I just looked on the Victory site so I only know what they're currently selling. No idea what they've sold in the past as I've never considered a Victory.
Patriot Guard Rider
USArmy 1987-1990
2021 Can Am Spyder RT

2014 Nomad - SOLD
2007 Black Nomad - SOLD
VMC #9367
VBA #1860

Old 01-19-2012, 11:20 AM   #13

If I had a reason to replace "Grace" the Vaquero would be on my "consider list" with a couple of reservations.

I like the seat on my '06 better than the ones available for Vaquero and it sits higher than the Nomad. I prefer a windshield over a faring. Tail light looks like a heart in traffic and a Transformer face when parked.
(picky, picky, picky)

2006 Vulcan 1600 Classic "George III" (Patricia's)
2006 Vulcan 1600 Nomad "Grace" (Mark's)
Mark Clark
VBA #1619
TaibhseDaid@Gmail.Com
"Irish" @ Maricopa County Chapter of B.A.C.A.
Phoenix, AZ

Old 01-19-2012, 11:29 AM   #14
Sr. Contributor

I bought an '01 Nomad because it fit me and I love the color (fastest available) I haven't been impressed with the many bikes I have tried since then. I tried the Vaquero last June, if I could, I would own a red one.
Gerry Martineau / 802 VT / VBA #0892 /[email]glmjgm@gmail.com[email]

Old 01-19-2012, 12:07 PM   #15
Top Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by markclark57 View Post
If I had a reason to replace "Grace" the Vaquero would be on my "consider list" with a couple of reservations.

I like the seat on my '06 better than the ones available for Vaquero and it sits higher than the Nomad. I prefer a windshield over a faring. Tail light looks like a heart in traffic and a Transformer face when parked.
(picky, picky, picky)
It would definitely be on my "consider list". What don't you like about the Vaquero seat options? I happen to think the tail light looks great. I'd mount one on my Nomad if I could.
Patriot Guard Rider
USArmy 1987-1990
2021 Can Am Spyder RT

2014 Nomad - SOLD
2007 Black Nomad - SOLD
VMC #9367
VBA #1860