Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1700 Nomad, Vaquero & Voyager

Old 05-02-2013, 01:10 PM   #1

Alpine KTP445U amp with XM module

I few month ago I installed The Alpine KTP 445U amp along with the Polk DB521 speakers. I've got about 2k miles on the bike since install and all I can say is wow what a difference! Volume and clarity are drastically improved. Now the XM sounds good and the IPod is even better. A few things about the install:

This amp is 45x4 or bridgeable 90x2. I went ahead and bridged it to 90 since I only had the 2 speakers. However, if bridged this amp requires 4 ohm speakers. I first tried the stock speakers and they would cut in and out at mid volume. I also had a set of Infinity 529 (2 ohm) and they would also cut out. I think the amp was going into protection mode. The DB521 speakers are 4 ohm and have been rock solid.

This amp has a built in gain and crossover. I set the gain just above zero and the crossover is set at 80Hz and it sounds great. If you mount the amp where I did you can actually get to the gain through the left speaker hole without removing the fairing.

This amp will fit in addition to the XM module. It's tight but it does not contact the inside of the fairing. I pulled power from the factory accessory connectors. Looking at the wiring diagrams, it appears that the same circuit powers the driving lights. I have not had a problem running both.

Finally, this thing runs cool. I let it crank for about 20 minutes and then held my had to it. Maybe slightly higher than room temperature.

Dave "Dogleg" Pettigrew
VBA #01124
CVRA & AMA member
Pataskala, OH
2006 Nomad
2011 Red Vaquero - Sold
2008 Nomad - Sold

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 05-02-2013, 04:16 PM   #2

Thats a nice neat installation, Ive been contemplating installing an amp for my stereo as well, I could use some more volume at highway speeds.

2002 Nomad aka Bountyhunter
VBA #27
VROC #18951

Old 05-02-2013, 05:02 PM   #3

I also have the Alpine KTP455U amp installed inside my Reckless fairing. It was a great improvement. I really enjoy listening to my tunes while riding and the volume, WOW!
1996 800A Customized (SOLD)
2001 1500 Nomad (The Mistress)
2013 Voyager

2014 SE Rally - Elkins, WV
2016 SE Rally - Helen, Ga

Old 05-03-2013, 10:45 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by ringadingh View Post
Thats a nice neat installation, Ive been contemplating installing an amp for my stereo as well, I could use some more volume at highway speeds.
I'm a bit anal when it comes to wiring. Solder, heat shrink, taped, then tied down. I don't need a short in the middle of nowhere.

Dave "Dogleg" Pettigrew
VBA #01124
CVRA & AMA member
Pataskala, OH
2006 Nomad
2011 Red Vaquero - Sold
2008 Nomad - Sold

Old 05-04-2013, 12:17 PM   #5

That looks fantastic!!! I've only got 900kms on my bike but am already contemplating an amp upgrade. Definitely considering this mod. Quick question though...if you didn't bridge and used the stock speakers do you think the sound output would be adequate for the short term?

Steve

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 05-06-2013, 02:19 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgoyette View Post
...if you didn't bridge and used the stock speakers do you think the sound output would be adequate for the short term?
I believe you would still notice a big improvement without bridging it. You have a lot of gain on these amps to get it where you want it. With it bridged, I have the gain just a bump above minimum and it's plenty loud. I don't think you'll be disappointed.

Dave "Dogleg" Pettigrew
VBA #01124
CVRA & AMA member
Pataskala, OH
2006 Nomad
2011 Red Vaquero - Sold
2008 Nomad - Sold

Old 09-14-2013, 10:24 PM   #7

I'm sorry to say or ask, but I found nothing stating that these speakers are waterproof. Has anyone found any info on this? I too would like to upgrade my sound system. Although, I think that the stock setup sounds pretty decent as is, I always could use better :)

2012 Vulcan Voyager 1700 ABS - Metallic Graystone / Metallic Spark Black
VBA #02229

Old 09-15-2013, 09:50 AM   #8

According to Polk Audio all of the DB series speakers are marine certified.

Old 09-15-2013, 01:34 PM   #9

I was pleased with how easy the fairing skin comes off. 5 bolts along the windshield, two bolts just inside the speaker covers. then two more on each underside of the fairing where it connects with the radiator shroud. One more just under the headlight. Do not remove the first screw on the underneath of the head light trim. Its the bolt just behind it. Save this one for last. You might want to drop down the turn signal bar. It will hang just above the fender. Put a towel over the fender just in case you drop a tool or bolt. Pull the skin straight out and wiggle slightly. The last thing to do is stick your arm through the top or bottom and pull the three prong headlight plug straight out. Do not turn. It comes straight out. Thats it. It will come right off.
I was worried I would need two people to reinstall the skin to get the sides lined up but I had absolutely no trouble doing the job myself. Align the skin back up and fit it half way then reconnect the headlight. Next push the skin all the way together. Before any bolts go in start the bike up and make sure the headlight is working. You dont want to bolt it all back together then discover its not connected. Start with the bottom screw the the speaker bolts then the bottom fairing bolts, then the wind shield last. If you removed the turn signal bar reattach this next. Take your time its an easy job.
Plok db521s are marine grade. The Alpine amp can be found at Best Buy and is a rock sold amp. I'm very pleased with the combination.
To answer my own questions after a lot of peicing together research on the inter-webs. I felt I understood enough to move forward with the install. I ran the left and right channels from the Stereo to just the front input wires to the amp. I left the rear channel alone. Thought I might have to split the left and right to connect to the rears also. Not needed. There is a switch underneath the amp that you can switched to two speaker input. Also like the 80 hrtz HPF setting as stated. Bridged the output to my new speakers. Ran the blue remote wire from the amp to the yellow accessory wire on the (brake side) of the fairing located near the glove compartment. Ran the Battery (power) wire & ground through the middle of the fairing and along the wiring on the backbone of the bike frame. I did not have to remove the tank completely to secure the wires down to the seat area. Make sure your ground is clean and tight. Also fuse your power wire close to the battery. I cut the fuse from the amp wire because it was to close to the amp and extended the wire to the battery where I reinstalled a fuse.
Now if you have everything wired right and your connections are solid, prepare for a face melting loud as hell fairing stereo.