Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1700 Nomad, Vaquero & Voyager

Old 08-22-2012, 06:12 PM   #1

Cobra tri-oval noise levels

Looking for performance gains, but I am not wanting a lot of additional exhaust noise. From those who have installed them, I am curious how much of the additional noise from installing tri-oval slip-ons is actually heard by the driver? or is it mostly louder aft of the exhaust pipes for others to enjoy?
Mustang seat w/backrest
Wolo Bad Boy air horn
Kuryakyn isogrips w/Racnray throttle mod
Cobra FI2000 PowrPro DFI tuner
Max & Willie "Hooker"
SpeedoHealer
"Our worth is measured in the value we bring to others."

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 08-22-2012, 06:29 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrsisk View Post
Looking for performance gains, but I am not wanting a lot of additional exhaust noise. From those who have installed them, I am curious how much of the additional noise from installing tri-oval slip-ons is actually heard by the driver? or is it mostly louder aft of the exhaust pipes for others to enjoy?
The Tri-ovals have a very mellow tone to them, louder than stock but not as loud as V&H slip-ons. Nice tone when cruising, a bit of a bark when really gettin on the gas, and they look nice too.

On my dyno they made more power and torque over the entire rpm range as compared to stock mufflers, and that's good!!

RACNRAY

Old 08-22-2012, 06:30 PM   #3
Top Contributor

jrsisk. Sent you a PM.

Last edited by redjay; 08-22-2012 at 06:52 PM.

Old 08-22-2012, 09:58 PM   #4

what Ray said, they have a nice throaty roar an acceleration and a nice sound when cruising, they are touted at meeting noise levels as well, although I would say that is not when accelerating. I have even had some of the local police comment on how nice they sounded, so when they say that you know it has to be okay.
(Canadian Veteran Freedom Riders)
2010 VN1700 Voyager, ABS
www.cvfr.ca
VBA #02220

Old 08-23-2012, 04:42 PM   #5

Tri Level Levels

I just put a pair on and I like the sound but not the popping and backfiring noise on deceleration. If I could solve that I would love them!

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 08-23-2012, 09:06 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunnyjer View Post
I just put a pair on and I like the sound but not the popping and backfiring noise on deceleration. If I could solve that I would love them!
You won't solve it, and have to live with it, even with the cobra auto fuel processor, I still get it. New gaskets, tightened everything up, no air leaks, and it is still there. I called up the Cobra people and while they were somewhat helpful, they said there was nothing that could be done.

What did irk me though was when he said, "you know, a lot of people pay big bucks to get that Harley sound", I told him "if I wanted the Harley sound, I would have bought a Harley". I think he got the hint because he didn't laugh.
2010 VN1700 Voyager, ABS
www.cvfr.ca
VBA #02220

Old 08-23-2012, 09:10 PM   #7
Top Contributor

I went for a ride tonight with my newly installed Cobra Powrpro CVT on my 2010 Voyager. No popping or backfiring with the stock mufflers.

Old 08-23-2012, 10:34 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by redjay View Post
I went for a ride tonight with my newly installed Cobra Powrpro CVT on my 2010 Voyager. No popping or backfiring with the stock mufflers.
you won't have it with the stock, that was one of the "complaints" about the tri-ovals, you got the popping on decel because it was a lot less restrictive.
2010 VN1700 Voyager, ABS
www.cvfr.ca
VBA #02220

Old 08-23-2012, 11:03 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokey View Post
You won't solve it, and have to live with it, even with the cobra auto fuel processor, I still get it. New gaskets, tightened everything up, no air leaks, and it is still there. I called up the Cobra people and while they were somewhat helpful, they said there was nothing that could be done.

What did irk me though was when he said, "you know, a lot of people pay big bucks to get that Harley sound", I told him "if I wanted the Harley sound, I would have bought a Harley". I think he got the hint because he didn't laugh.
I had the same experiences Smokey. I installed triovals and then fought with the popping. I installed Cobra's PowerPro fuel controller and it really didn't help the popping but seemed to help the performance and fuel economy. I am getting about 53 MPG imperial or 5.3L/100 km's which I like and it makes the popping problem a bit more tollerable.

Jimbo
Calgary, Ab.

Old 08-24-2012, 08:42 AM   #10

As I understand it the expensive Cobra Fi2000 PowerPro does not allow one to add more fuel manually to quench decel popping (as it does all functions automatically).

Why does everyone seem so anxious to throw big bucks at technology that doesn't seem to help? Most riders I know don't care as much about optimized A/F Ratios and peak economy as they do about getting rid of decel popping. If it means running a tad rich, so be it! It's generally better for your bike than continually running lean.

I have yet to read on this forum of anyone who has added the Techlusion TFI or their newer Gen 3 EJK (Same unit made for and sold as the Gman Bully). These allow one to add fuel in the specific areas necessary to tune out decel popping. At least I was able to do so with the Techlusion TFI on my old VTX1800 which decel popped furiously in stock form. In this case adding more fuel improved power, mileage, and the bike ran much cooler. What's not to like about that, especially when a Techlusion is less than half the price of the PowerPro?

Old 08-24-2012, 09:06 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vulcan Hammer View Post
As I understand it the expensive Cobra Fi2000 PowerPro does not allow one to add more fuel manually to quench decel popping (as it does all functions automatically).

Why does everyone seem so anxious to throw big bucks at technology that doesn't seem to help? Most riders I know don't care as much about optimized A/F Ratios and peak economy as they do about getting rid of decel popping. If it means running a tad rich, so be it! It's generally better for your bike than continually running lean.

I have yet to read on this forum of anyone who has added the Techlusion TFI or their newer Gen 3 EJK (Same unit made for and sold as the Gman Bully). These allow one to add fuel in the specific areas necessary to tune out decel popping. At least I was able to do so with the Techlusion TFI on my old VTX1800 which decel popped furiously in stock form. In this case adding more fuel improved power, mileage, and the bike ran much cooler. What's not to like about that, especially when a Techlusion is less than half the price of the PowerPro?
I actually have the EJK and the manual Cobra as well, it is not a question of throwing money at technology but having to do so if you make certain mods to the bike. You basically have no choice with the EFI, with the carb models it was a lot cheaper as you just played with the jet or got the jet kits. One of these days I may just try the EJK as I never took it out of the box, but right now I am living with the Cobra.
2010 VN1700 Voyager, ABS
www.cvfr.ca
VBA #02220

Old 08-24-2012, 09:35 AM   #12

Smokey,

Yes, I fully appreciate that you have no option with an EFI bike to modify fueling other than an add-on fuel manager. I think it actually takes less time to install and tweak a fuel manager than it did on carbed bikes to rejet, shim needles or drill out pilot screw access covers...and then do it all over again if you got it wrong or had seasonal variances.

My point though is that you can usually tune out the decel popping with the Techlusion Gen 2 TFI or Gen 3 EJK for less than half the price of the Cobra PowerPro Fi2000.
If these devices cannot tune out the decel popping then you probably have an undiagnosed air leak (likely the intake on a 1700 as per RACNRAY's findings).

Some people are buying the PowerPro thinking it will solve ALL their problems automatically, but in many cases it will not eliminate the decel popping as you are not able to make manual programming inputs.

Last edited by Vulcan Hammer; 08-24-2012 at 09:40 AM.

Old 08-24-2012, 10:57 AM   #13

The new Cobra processer cannot eliminate decel popping. PERIOD

I can and have completely eliminated decel popping on my skoots and customer skoots with the tunability of the various Power Commander models.

I just did a Vaquero with Tri-oval s/on's, chuckster's BAK and a PCV, ABSOLUTELY no decel popping.

Years ago I had a few skoots that had or we installed TFI units and to eliminate decel popping the mixture was so rich that it had a negative affect on the idle low/speed drivability and a/f ratio. With those particular skoots the only remedy was to install a Power Commander so that the decel popping could be addressed in of itself without compromising any other aspect of performance.

RACNRAY

Old 08-24-2012, 07:40 PM   #14

It's my understanding that the limiting factor on stock AF ratio is the intake, not the exhaust. The decel popping is there in stock configuration, it's jost not as noticable with stock mufflers. With aftermarket exhaust, the popping then becomes much morre audible. You can "marble" the 1700's just like the earlier models and quiet it considerably. Keeping the post combustion air out of the exhaust is a bit cheaper than adding adding a fuel processer.
KawaNOW #01691
VRA National Vice President 2012
Kentucky Chapter Treasurer

Old 08-24-2012, 08:42 PM   #15
Top Contributor

There might be popping and backfiring on decel with the stock mufflers, but I cant hear any.