Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > Vulcan Nomad/Vaquero/Voyager

Old 03-16-2010, 05:20 PM   #1

new owner with a couple questions

Greetings all,
I just got my '07 Nomad, after reading this site for a good 6 to 7 months. How could I not get one???

Ok, so for the questions. I do not have an owners manual or service manual. The toe shifter is a bit too high and I would like to adjust it down. I can't get the heal shifter off to adjust the toe shifter. I loosened the bolt and tried to spread it to slide it off the splined shaft. It will wiggle and move a bit, but won't come off. Any ideas?

I've read about the "choke" so I get that. I also have a "knob" on the right side of the engine. The salesman said it was the idle adjustment. Is this right? It doesn't seem to want to turn either way.

The mufflers haven't been debaffled, but, around the perimeter of the rear exit, instead of hole sawing the baffle and removing it, they drilled a bunch of holes, maybe a 1/4 inch diameter. Would the debaffle still make it sound better. I would probably have to remove the whole back plate. Any issues with that? I didn't see anyone do that.

Thanks for all of you help,
Kurt

'07 Black and gold Nomad Black and tan? ;)

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 03-16-2010, 05:33 PM   #2

First, Welcome to the site.
The bolt in the shifter lever has to come out. It sets down in a groove in the shift shaft. Take the bolt all the way out and the shaft will come off.
The knob on the right side has to be ether pulled out or pushed in to turn the adjustment. I believe it has to be pulled out a little. this will allow you to adjust the idle.
If you are going to have to remove the whole back plate then NO don't do it. When the pipes are debaffled we only remove the baffle and this leaves a double wall on the muffler. If you remove the whole plate I think the inner wall will rattle around in the pipe. Not sure on that but some one else will chime in I'm sure of that
VBA #9

2011 Victory Kingpin mine
2013 Victory Boardwalk -hers

[LEFT][COLOR=#000000]
[SIZE=4]

Old 03-16-2010, 06:02 PM   #3

Everything TC said was correct, If you do remove the back of the muffler you can probably weld a large washer or something similar to close the hole up a bit to make it look neater.
I think the choke knob, which actually is just a fast idle is tucked up under the tank on your bike. You don't really need it at all.

2002 Nomad aka Bountyhunter
VBA #27
VROC #18951

Old 03-16-2010, 07:05 PM   #4
Mega-Contributor

TC is correct on all counts (just don't ask him about helmets! ).

I think you could make a mess of things if you remove the entire rear end plate on the mufflers. There is a reason the de-baffling instructions specify a 1-3/4" hole saw and not another size, and that's to be able to pull out the center baffle while keeping the rest of the "innards" intact. You might try to find a set of mufflers someone has removed, they usually go pretty cheap, buy a set of aftermarket pipes, or leave them as-is.

VBA #00105
H.O.G. #4250060

2011 H-D Ultra Limited 103ci

:: 2011 HD Electra Glide Ultra Limited w/Stage 1 ::

Rallies: Mesquite '08|Custer '09|Cortez '10|Crescent City '11|Kanab '12|Antlers '12|Estes Park '13|Antlers '13|Orofino '14|The Dalles '17

Old 03-16-2010, 07:08 PM   #5
Top Contributor

The service manual is well worth getting. You can order both manuals from the Kawasaki website and sometimes they are on Ebay as well.

Click here to order from Kawasaki

Bob
KawaNOW/VBA 210
Green/Silver 2006
Patriot Guard Riders 2009

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 03-16-2010, 08:25 PM   #6
Advanced Member

Go to the 15-1600 garage thread and download the 05 service manual. Will work for your MY.

VBA 00735
VROC 28102

2008 KVN MOB & NS

The only hand-held device that should be legal to use while driving is the STEERING WHEEL!

Old 03-17-2010, 01:20 AM   #7
Sr. Contributor

Send a message via AIM to AlabamaNomadRider Send a message via Yahoo to AlabamaNomadRider

I agree with what everyone has said here. As far as the holes that were drilled you can probably have the holes spot welded or something. You should be able to still do the debaffle. See BD's debaffle instructions. If you have questions about the debaffle just start another thread if you run into problems.

Gene Cross, Jr.
Boaz, Alabama
KawaNOW/VBA #1181

Old 03-17-2010, 08:21 AM   #8

Thanks for the help. I haven't needed the "choke", and it was 33 degrees this morning. I'll check out the '05 owners manual and maybe save myself $15! As far as the mufflers go, I got some fishtails, I might have to just put them on.

Thanks,
Kurt

Old 03-17-2010, 08:28 AM   #9
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrimpala
Thanks for the help. I haven't needed the "choke", and it was 33 degrees this morning. I'll check out the '05 owners manual and maybe save myself $15! As far as the mufflers go, I got some fishtails, I might have to just put them on.

Thanks,
Kurt
Thats a Service Manual download. Can save you A LOT more than $15! I use it for my 08'. No problems.

VBA 00735
VROC 28102

2008 KVN MOB & NS

The only hand-held device that should be legal to use while driving is the STEERING WHEEL!

Old 03-17-2010, 08:33 AM   #10
Top Contributor

Kurt,

Sent you a PM.
VBA 213
VROC 16913

Custer 09: Cortez 10: Crescent City 11: Kanab 12: Estes Park 13: Tahoe 14: Red Lodge 16

Old 03-17-2010, 11:37 AM   #11

The choke knob was tucked under my 07 tank when I bought it. It goes in a bracket on the left side just above the horn. Never had to use it though.

Old 03-17-2010, 03:37 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenBob
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrimpala

Thanks,
Kurt
Thats a Service Manual download. Can save you A LOT more than $15! I use it for my 08'. No problems.
I have the downloaded service manual which is great for reading in the easy chair with a beer. However, I went ahead and ordered the manual from Kawasaki cause I don't mind getting grease stains on while I am in the garage trying to figure out how to get the bike apart for paining.

Charlie "Ballast" Krogh
2005 1600 Nomad "Tangerine Dream"
VBA #999
VROC #29355