Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1500 & 1600 Nomad

Old 06-12-2015, 06:52 PM   #1

Running without EFI

Recently my power commander quit working so in the garbage it went . I pulled the trigger on a EJK Dobeck , which I'm still waiting for.
I have V&H duel exhaust with the Baron air kit . The dealer told me it would be safe to ride if I don't hear a lot of "pinging" going on . I'm only doing small rides in the city for now and find the bike does run smooth but will pop and backfire on decel . It's also a bit hard to keep it running when I first start it in the morning . I have to pull the "choke" all the way until it fully warms up and runs smooth or it will die .
Is this normal ? Is it reacting the way it should without a EFI ?

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Last edited by Ridefree; 06-12-2015 at 08:28 PM.

Old 06-12-2015, 10:13 PM   #2

I found that my bike pings, especially in the warmer weather,since my PC died. If I run premium fuel it seems to stop the pinging, but the bike ran noticeably better with the PC installled.

2002 Nomad aka Bountyhunter
VBA #27
VROC #18951

Old 06-12-2015, 10:41 PM   #3

I think I'm going to have to wait until I get the dobeck installed and start using 86 fuel again . Right now I'm running premium . It's a real pain to get it started but once it's warmed up it stays running and has lots of power . Not a lot of ping but noticeable popping and back fire .
Thanks for the post ,

Old 06-12-2015, 11:16 PM   #4

If you havn't cleaned the throttle body out with carb cleaner and a toothbrush, that may also be a big part of your problem. After cleaning there can be a huge difference in the way the bike runs and gets much better mileage.

2002 Nomad aka Bountyhunter
VBA #27
VROC #18951

Old 06-13-2015, 09:35 AM   #5

Yes , already done . I've done quite a bit since I bought it 4 years ago .
New wiring harness
regulators
coils , wires and boots
battery
chucksters cam chain extenders
tires and bearings
replaced O rings and gasket in throttle body last week . I did the propane test and there was a leak . Last night I sprayed throttle body cleaner up into the throttle body by the cable where the spring is and the bike started to choke itself and then idled up again . Should I have siliconed the gasket ? or could it be the shaft to the butterfly ?
I'm one of those guys who likes to know everything about my bike and wants to be able to fix it when I can ( within reason )
I love this bike so much that I decided it was a keeper . It's only got 40k on it so it's not ready for a rebuild , but thats the plan .

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 06-13-2015, 09:40 AM   #6

I'm not going to tear into it any more until I get the dobeck hooked up . I'll have to see how it runs then . Maybe it's just the way of the beast without all that air crap installed .

Old 06-13-2015, 01:22 PM   #7

I imagine that like on most carbs with a butterfly valve, the throttle body butterfly will always have a minute air leak where the shaft passes through the body. While it will show up when you spray cleaner there I doubt it is anything to worry about.

Norm Ward
2008 blue / silver nomad
kawanow / VBA #01136

Old 06-13-2015, 02:50 PM   #8

That does make me feel better . I hate to have to buy a new one .