Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1700 Nomad, Vaquero & Voyager

Old 12-13-2015, 05:42 PM   #1

Considering a new Nomad

So, I have been without a bike for about a year now. It's time to start looking for something. I'll have a daily commute of about 90 miles. About 65 of those are on a windy mountain two lane with some switchbacks. I used to have an 06 1600 Nomad and I loved it. For price sakes I was looking at a Yamaha 1300. However, I found a new 14 Nomad for 12,200. My question is this, will I find the 1700 similar to the 1600 in handling and comfort? Anything I should know ahead of time going in to trade?

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 12-13-2015, 06:51 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by sneedvegas View Post
So, I have been without a bike for about a year now. It's time to start looking for something. I'll have a daily commute of about 90 miles. About 65 of those are on a windy mountain two lane with some switchbacks. I used to have an 06 1600 Nomad and I loved it. For price sakes I was looking at a Yamaha 1300. However, I found a new 14 Nomad for 12,200. My question is this, will I find the 1700 similar to the 1600 in handling and comfort? Anything I should know ahead of time going in to trade?
I have a 3 weeks and 1100 miles on a 2011 Nomad, purchased as a new leftover (believe it or not). This was an upgrade from my Vulcan 900 Classic LT (which I still own). I have an 11 mile commute, a little different than yours, though most of it is on a parkway with a few "twisties" and where folks run at highway speeds on the straights.

The Nomad is a helluva bike. VERY comfortable on the highway, though I am still working through optimizing the windshield height and lowers to minimize buffeting. The seat is awesome; the suspension is awesome; the bike handles as well or better than my 900, even though it is 175 lbs heavier. I think this is due to the lower rake. I hear the seat is much better on the 1700 Nomads than the 1600s. The bike is very smooth at all speeds, and it's getting smoother :) I traded rides with a friend today who has a Honda Valkyrie. His bike, an 1800 six cyllinder (same engine as the Gold Wing), is a rocket. Yes, it is more powerful. However, my Nomad has plenty of power (even before optimizing air/mixture/pipes), has a much softer seat, has a better suspension, and handles better in my opinion. It's a little heavier, but not much.

If you read old threads, you'll notice a consistent set of complaints: (1) cramped seating (too close to the tank); (2) excessive heat; (3) clunky shifting; (4) sloppy/slowish throttle response; (5) top-loading rather than side-loading bags, which many considered a downgrade in look ... let's see ... I think those are the big ones. I knew about all 5 before I chose the Nomad over the Road King, and I have no regrets.

On the complaints: (1) I am short in stature, so the "cramped" seating is great for me, an upgrade over my 900, actually. Taller guys might want to shave the seat to sit a bit further back. The 1700 Nomad is definitely tighter sitting than the 1600, so if you're tall, that may be an issue. It's actually less stretched out than my 900, which I think is more like the 1600. (2) It was in the 70s today here in the DC area, so I got some taste of the heat sitting at a 5 minute light. Can't really make a complete comment on that until it gets to 90+ next summer, but it was fine to me today. Warm, but as expected. Many who want it cooler have made it so by wrapping the pipes. (3) The shifting is a bit clunky. So what? (4) I agree that the throttle response is a bit sloppy and may purchase RACNRAYs throttle mod to solve it like many others have. (5) The bags and the look? Since my purchase, I've gotten TONS of comments on how great it looks, and I find the bags great. They have a lot of room, especially given the curvature of the lids. These complaints were mostly from folks with 1500s and 1600s who loved their bikes and didn't want change.

The 1700 has cruise control, which is great. It has six gears, which is great. My Valkryie-riding friend loved it when we switched. He paid significantly more for his bike than I did. He and others are surprised when they hear what I paid for a brand new 1700. I haven't found anyone who didn't think that the bikes in Kawasaki's 1700 line are a great deal.

In summary, all the "warts" that appear in the threads on this list are there to a degree, but they are not a very big deal to me, and the positives outweigh the negatives for me by a large amount.

Perhaps I'm too positive, and others will chime in. I dunno. The dealer's comment to me a week after our deal was done was "I rode our Nomad in our annual turkey run. That's a helluva bike, huh?"

Good luck with your decision,
Dan

Old 12-13-2015, 07:06 PM   #3

+1 on what he said...

Old 12-14-2015, 05:34 AM   #4
Advanced Member

+2 On that love my 2010 Nomad..had a 03 1500... much more powerful and wife love the comfort once I added the kawa tour pack
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0409.jpg (97.4 KB, 25 views)
Nomad 2010
Voyager trunk
Alleycat intake / YVANIZE ECU, Freedom performance 2 into 1
Kuryaken grip with Throttle mod
lost of chrome add on
Sound digital 1200.4 2 ohm
6 x 9 MPX 690 Hertz in custom fairing
6.5 hcx hertz speakers in hard bags
6.5 MPX hertz in pods

Last edited by Vulcanrider03; 12-14-2015 at 05:38 AM.

Old 12-14-2015, 06:28 AM   #5

Is that a street glide front rim?

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 12-14-2015, 11:17 AM   #6

What VulcanD said

We had an '05 Nomad 1600 before our '15 Voyager 1700.

The Nomad was stretched out more than the Voyager but we still have enough room on the Voyage even with my backrest between us. I'm only 5' 8" so I do not feel cramped at all. I have to use the ISO Dually Highway Pegs so I can reach them because of my short legs.

The Voyager is much more comfortable and more stable even at slow speed.

Test ride the Voyager before you make your decision. If you do just realize that the bike will have a lot more power after a few thousand miles on the new engine.

2005 Vulcan Nomad Sold
2006 Honda 1800 VTX (Freebie) Sold
2008 Harley Ultra Classic Sold
2001 Harley Ultra Classic Sold

Hangtown, Kalifornia

VBA #2625

Old 12-14-2015, 06:22 PM   #7

+3
Loved (LOVED) the Nomad.
Ride safe,
Smokier
2012 Victory Crossroads in Sunset Red "Ruby"

Previous Vulcans: '15 Vaquero, '12 Vaquero, '10 1700 Nomad, '04 1500 Classic, '01 1500 Classic, '88 Vulcan 750
VROC # 10967 | VBA # 3115

Old 12-14-2015, 08:33 PM   #8

I don't think you can go wrong with a Nomad. I purchased the first year Nomad in 1998 (seems like yesterday). Many will remember the 2 tone green paint scheme. I kept that bike as my weekend warrior for 10 years and put 40K on the odometer.
I and a lot of other owners were hoping and praying that Kaw would put a fairing on the nomad and tech it up a bit. By 08 I couldn't wait any longer for Kaw so I sold it and bought a Suzuki C109RT. Mainly due to looks and power. Then a year later Kaw put a fairing on the Nomad and called it a Vaquero.

Still have my zuke mainly cause it's kind of unique and sometimes you just want to go for a ride on a badass Vtwin However, I got a great deal on a 2015 candy lime green Vaquero a couple of weeks ago and this past weekend had time to do a 100 mile ride.

I guess my point is if you're going spend 12K+ on a Nomad, why not spend a little more for a Vaquero. The dealer I bought mine from offered to sell me my choice of a Voyager or a Vaquero for $13,400. OTD was $15,600.
Another dealer had a 2015 Vaquero with 738 miles on it for $11K.

OK, I'm blabbering now.....

Old 12-20-2015, 10:41 AM   #9
Advanced Member

Yes it is LPM88
Nomad 2010
Voyager trunk
Alleycat intake / YVANIZE ECU, Freedom performance 2 into 1
Kuryaken grip with Throttle mod
lost of chrome add on
Sound digital 1200.4 2 ohm
6 x 9 MPX 690 Hertz in custom fairing
6.5 hcx hertz speakers in hard bags