Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1500 & 1600 Nomad

Old 05-10-2008, 11:10 PM   #1

Wife's first ride with the Cobra's

When I put the slash cuts on in the Spring I thought the noise just might be enough to drive the wife crazy and not want to ride with me. As it turned out, today we went on a long cruise and she had no problem with them on the highway. In fact we could talk back and forth with no difficulty. Now, it's a little different story when I roll on the throttle, that's when they roar good. Starting out at a light they are loud, as well as when I pass someone, but other than that, don't let all the talk about too loud sway you from installing after market pipes...........imho

thought I would include another nice shot of the wife. We were on our way out to dinner and dance with some fellow riders the other weekend.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 05-11-2008, 09:36 AM   #2

GOOD thing about LOUD pipes is she cannt hear what your saying at times LOL.......... PRETTY cool when the Other half like to do alot of the same things as you do :)...... Ride Safe,,,,,Rich

Old 05-11-2008, 09:44 AM   #3

I have decided on the cobras how was the install

Old 05-11-2008, 11:39 AM   #4

Install was easy and I liked the way the rear head pipe slung under the bike out the left, as compared the V&H. Nice gradual bend and heat shields cover better ( all in MHO ) The one complaint I would have with the Cobra's is the finish on the head end where it mounts to each head. The flange part is not squared off like the stock pipes, so the clamps work against the weld that Cobra used to secure the flange piece. They do tighten up with no leaks, but I am a bit of a stickler for details like that and it would have improved the quality of the pipes.

Old 05-11-2008, 02:41 PM   #5

Well the V&H's have their issues as well. Mostly it's the pain of grinding burs and welds at installation. Everybody that doesn't do that has trouble getting the mufflers on. Also, some folks have reported cracking at the bend in the rear headpipe, but I think a lot of that is from improper bolt-up sequence.

The main problem I hear about with the Cobras is the chrome rusting quickly. V&H's seem to have better chrome.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 05-11-2008, 08:49 PM   #6
Top Contributor

no chrome rust on my V&H after nearly 2 yrs and no cracks.

Old 05-12-2008, 06:56 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Basco
I have decided on the cobras how was the install
I've got the slashcuts as well, and installed them back end of Nov, beginning of Dec. It was easier to install them, and took less time that it did to take the stock off with the goat's belly. They're loud, but exactly what I want. My wife and I have conversations just fine going down the road with them. I've even seen threads were some people complained about headaches on long rides, attributing it to the after market exhaust. I think they're just sniffing too many exhaust fumes.

Old 05-12-2008, 07:31 PM   #8

My rear header pipe didn't crack until the 5th season on my V&H, then it cracked again a few months later. But its cured now, hopefully forever.

2002 Nomad aka Bountyhunter
VBA #27
VROC #18951

Old 05-12-2008, 11:03 PM   #9

Ooooo...My 5th season starts in August. ::)