Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1500 & 1600 Nomad

Old 06-01-2008, 05:18 PM   #1

need a wiring expert

want to rewire my speaker amp to a hot lead under the seat, have it hooked up now to the brake light,but every time i pull the brake i get a pop through the speaker, i want it so when i turn the key it comes on and with key off its off. any ideas beside not hitting the brakes LOL

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 06-01-2008, 05:44 PM   #2

need a wiring expert

http://www.gadgetjq.com/auxiliary_fuse_box.htm

Audiogooroo - Daryl Porter
Colorado Springs, CO
VBA #248
VROC #17261
1999 Grn/Grn Nomad

Old 06-01-2008, 06:17 PM   #3

need a wiring expert

thanks, i did a search on gadget, but couldnt locate a thread on it :-[, boy do i feel DUMB,,,,lol

Old 06-01-2008, 08:11 PM   #4

need a wiring expert

It shouldn't be hooked to the brake light at all. It should be hooked to the running light.

Now if it IS hooked to the running light, and it *pops* when you hit the brake, that could mean three things.

1) the brake light switch is arcing a bit
2) the ground circuit somewhere between the tail lights and the battery is not real good
3) the radio itself is really sensative to EMF noise.

I'd be looking at no. 2 first.

Old 06-03-2008, 04:21 PM   #5

need a wiring expert

thanks "Q" i will change it tonight, now what color wire is it under the seat and any chance do you know where its located other than the bucket up front... thanks

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 06-03-2008, 04:38 PM   #6
Advanced Member

need a wiring expert

Other than hooked up to wrong place - the brake light switch on the rear brake pedal is the culprit. Mine was out of adjustment and arced and would cause interference on the Radio! Readjusting worked for a while - new switch solved the problem ( dealer would not Warranty as bike didn't come with sound system)! Ima wondering if they would have Warrantied if the Million Dollar Kawaski Sound System had been on the bike????

Old 06-04-2008, 08:48 PM   #7

need a wiring expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by bugman
thanks "Q" i will change it tonight, now what color wire is it under the seat and any chance do you know where its located other than the bucket up front... thanks
I don't have a 1600, so I don't dare quote you wire colors.

On mine, those wires are under the seat and go through a rubber grommet into the rear fender. They're hard to miss. As long as you use a relay for anything that draws more than an amp or two, you should be fine.

Old 06-05-2008, 09:02 AM   #8
Sr. Contributor

need a wiring expert

Any yellow/black wire IS ground.
The tail lamp/running lamp wire under the seat is light blue, in the book just blue.

This comes ON with the key and is off with the key.

If you decide you want tunes with or with out the key on a 1600 Nomad, there is 2 pairs of wires you could use. One set is in the head lamp housing, and the other is under the main seat.

Each pair are white with blue tracers and red dots as well, on (+), and of course there is a yellow black ground with each. Each terminal is made to take 2 bullet connector each. Use caution to not over load the 10 amp circuit.

Note: It is likely you will need to peel open the tape on the wiring harness ahead of the grommet in the fender, under the seat to see the blue wire.

06 1600 Nomad
Just call me Mac
molon labe come and get it