View Single Post
Old 08-28-2023, 11:03 AM   #15
Advanced Member

Something to help your shifting accuracy: when getting ready to shift, preload the shifter to take up any slack/play in the system, then use maybe a 1/4 clutch lever action and barely any throttle chop, and the next gear will click in positively. Preloading the shifter and minimal clutch action gives you quicker shifts and more consistent shifts. Also, this technique minimizes engine RPM drop between shifts which minimizes engine/trans lugging.

I've done this for decades on my flat twin BMWs and also applied the same technique on my VN1600 Classic. I actually took the heel shifter off my VN1600 as I prefer the more accurate feel of toe shifting versus heel shifting. Plus I suspect the previous owner of my 1600 used the heel shifter to hammer in the gears while running the bike hard between the gears. I say that because the bike as I bought it had a lot of play in the shift linkage, had all the popular mods installed; smog system/solenoids gone, Cobra straight through exhaust, Power Commander, Baron air intake, etc, etc. Plus it had stickers on it from Sturgis so I wouldn't be surprised he was showing the HD crowd what a Vulcan can do. That is until 2nd gear failed, which is most likely a failed or bent shifting fork.

Last edited by andyvh1959; 09-21-2023 at 02:04 PM.