View Single Post
Old 10-24-2007, 10:53 AM   #2

Flexible Armor - Science Fiction?

That stuff sounds like it would be awesome "outside" protective gear. It would be great for low speed tumbles, fallovers and skids. And...I guess it will help you look good at the viewing on the most serious of crashes. I guarantee that it will be very expensive.

The main problem in dynamic falls or vehicle crashes is not really our stuff on the outside. It is what happens to the loose stuff that bangs around on our inside...the organs, the brain, etc. These things collide with the internal skeleton and rib cage and it is like throwing them against a wall during an impact or sudden stop. They often get bruised and or ripped.

I have learned that most of the injuries people die from during impact cannot be seen from the outside. The cutaway views that Catscans provide are AWESOME in determining the internal issues on a survivor. Although sometimes it is extremely obvious and they are simply DRT!

Always remember that a long slide, roll, or tumble over an open field or roadway is far better than any impact with a fixed (sign, tree, house, etc) or moving object (car, truck, etc). That is where the protective gear we wear really can help. Well, that and having a Guardian Angel and/or lots of LUCK.