View Single Post
Old 04-18-2010, 01:51 PM   #10
Mega-Contributor

New To Me Experience

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Lund
Quote:
Originally Posted by bokobob
ThAnk you for well wishing and helpful comments..Dan, I owuld not have thought of all you said in million years and now I have it all absorbed and will put your advice to use..
Again, thanks to all..
Here's another way to explain it. Picture leaving a football game, or even walking through the mall. You automatically consider all the people cutting diagonally across the flow, coming towards you, going slower than you but in the same direction, or coming up faster from behind. You adjust your speed to take into consideration the person cutting across etc.

Have you ever been in a mall or something, and there is a person right in front of you who is clueless to everything going on around them, and they all of a sudden stop right in front have you as if you weren't there at all? Those same people are out there driving too. They have no clue what anyone else is doing around them and they don't factor it in at all.
I've had situations like this happen to me so often I just expect it now. I am so sick and tired of self-absorbed, clueless idiots in the grocery store, let alone on the road. I find that probably 75% of the public is so wrapped up in themselves, they have no awareness of what's going on around them.

I have developed my own theory. Watch how some boneheaded (man or woman - doesn't matter) handles their cart in the grocery store. Stopping in the middle of the aisle, off in la-la-land while they decide which flavor of Little Debbie snack cakes to buy, and I'll bet you they drive their automobiles in the same manner. It's the "me first" mentality, borne out of the desire for instant gratification. You have traffic merging ahead and instead of falling into place naturally, people race to try to merge in 15 cars ahead of where they would have been. THEY don't want to wait. THEY can't be inconvenienced. So instead, THEY cause a slowdown and bottleneck at the point of the merge. I see this everyday on my ride home from work. The freeway I take drops 2 right lanes within about a mile and people can't handle it.

Since I took up riding again, I have become infinitely more aware of what's happening around me, and not just while riding either. I honestly believe that everyone should have to ride a motorcycle for a period of time as a step in obtaining a drivers license. It would make a world of difference on the roads. Might thin the herd some, too.
VBA #00105
H.O.G. #4250060

2011 H-D Ultra Limited 103ci

:: 2011 HD Electra Glide Ultra Limited w/Stage 1 ::

Rallies: Mesquite '08|Custer '09|Cortez '10|Crescent City '11|Kanab '12|Antlers '12|Estes Park '13|Antlers '13|Orofino '14|The Dalles '17