View Single Post
Old 03-28-2013, 05:47 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by happywanderer View Post
Posted up on VROC - but thanks Joe. The cam chain tensioner extenders went in with no issues.

For others - I have an '07 and it only had 14,000 on the ODO - seemed low to be out of travel on the tensioners, but I'm glad I checked. Should be good for a while - I hope.

Doing in the ear shave (removing left dog bowl and crossover tube) does make the process A WHOLE LOT easier. But getting that crossover tube out is a PAIN.

To get the original metal bits off the tensioner rod, I used a dremel and VERY carefully cut down until I could pop it off with a screwdriver. I was EXTREMELY careful with the dremel ... but if you don't have a steady hand, I'd recommend at table vice and hacksaw.

I did make sure I was at TDC compression for each cyclinder I was working on. Getting that spring off the floorboard was a PAIN as well. I ended up putting the pin for the floorboard in backwards when I reassembled. This allows you to remove the pin without having to remove the spring.
I think that's the earliest I've ever heard anyone needing cam chain tensioner extenders. Was your engine making extra noise? Were there scratch marks on the spark plug tube? How many clicks did they have left?
VBA #02113
Antlers, Oklahoma '12
Blairsville, Georgia '13
Antlers, Oklahoma '13
Eureka Springs, Arkansas '15