View Single Post
Old 08-11-2012, 02:18 PM   #10
Sr. Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkStar View Post
I replaced the stock exhaust with V&H slash cuts, while I had the exhaust system apart I wrapped the header to prevent heat from radiating around the engine, intake, and my right leg... That alone made a large difference in comfort. I installed a PCV and have worked up a map that's giving great performance and mileage. As I made each change there was a difference with heat, but the biggest aid to cooler running was removing the stock left and right dog bowls and adding a Thunder round intake. Air flow over the cooling fins has increased and the area between the jugs in now open... now the air can actually get to the engine...

I will be flushing the cooling system and refilling with Engine Ice later this month to give the cooling system every chance to be as efficient as possible, if you look at page 4-4 of the Vaquero service manual you can see a diagram of the limited cooling flow, but the changes made so far have vastly improved how 'hot' this machine operates...

The Vaquero reminds me of my old HD's... it needs some lovin' here and there to bring out the potential and the effort is well worth it in the end...
Did you remove the air injection and did you use the autotune?
BMWMOA 162849
BMWRA 41335

BMW: When you care enough to ride the very best.

My Motorrad Blog
My Motorrad YouTube

2009 BMW R1200RT

Previous bikes:2007 Nomad | 2001 Vulcan 800 Classic | 1984 GPz750 | 1978 KZ1000A2

Rallies: Custer '09|Prairie Du Chien '10|Crescent City '11