View Single Post
Old 08-30-2016, 10:20 PM   #9

OK, good idea Greg.
Here is the post, names were changed.
The pic refereed to in the text was not posted with the article.

Tomorrow is Joe's funeral. I'm planning on riding there. I feel rather conflicted on this. Pardon the rambling nature of this.

Joe was a friend. We didn't agree on everything. Morally, we differed. Organizationally, we differed. He helped me with planning our annual event the past couple of years by planning ride routes and scheduling the shooting range. He took over planning this year's and next year's event as I was/will be occupied with military. I didn't agree with some of the decisions, as they've lead to a loss of attendees in the past.

He was an avid no-helmet rider. I'm an avid no-helmet-law kind of guy, but I always wear mine. For me, it's about responsibility to my family. I feel the same with seat belts and car seats - they're personal responsibility and should not be legislated.

Joe turned left in front of a moving truck. He may have had a green arrow and the truck a red light, but I don't know for sure. They collided and Joe was thrown from the bike and hit his head on the pavement. As you can see from the picture, it wasn't that hard a hit - the bike is repairable. I firmly believe that had he worn a lid, he'd be telling us how either he or the driver was a dumbass for running a light.

As some of you know, I've had two accidents. Both were single-vehicle incidents and both were caused by errors on my part (speed, front brake on gravel). Both resulted in damage to my helmets. The first was so slight that I didn't even know it happened until days later when I took a close look at it. The second was quite pronounced.

In July, another friend had an accident on his restored 78 Kaw. Terry is not sure why, but it got into a tank slapper at about 70 MPH. He spend about 3 weeks in the hospital and has numerous surgeries ahead for his knee and wrist. He has given up riding for good. He's lucky to be alive. It was a MUCH worse accident than Joe's.

Anyway, I feel like I'm going to a funeral that shouldn't be. Joe should be getting out of the hospital and nursing broken bones and bruises, like Terry. I should feel sad. I feel angry. Not at the truck that hit him, but at Joe for not taking responsibility for his kids, the kids and grand-kids of his girlfriend (whom he developed a relationship with) and for his friends.

Yes, I believe that God calls us home when it's our time. I also think God gave us free will and that plays a part. I think that God puts us into situations where our choices have consequences. I don't believe he's got a book up there with times and dates and "bingo" no matter what you do, you're done. To me that goes against free will. And if we don't have free will, then we're all puppets in a sick, twisted play.

Anyway, I'm going to ride to a funeral tomorrow. I might punch the corpse in the face. Out of respect for his family, I won't. But, I'll want to.
VBA #9

2011 Victory Kingpin mine
2013 Victory Boardwalk -hers

[LEFT][COLOR=#000000]
[SIZE=4]