View Single Post
Old 09-29-2015, 08:05 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by RACNRAY View Post
Although Kawi recommends 90 octane many of us have found the engines run better with 89. What we have down here is 87/89/93 and not only with the 1700's but many sportbikes (most with 12-1 c.r.) run better with 89 than with 93. The feedback I get from 1700 owners (from around the country) have positive results when they have switched from the higher octane to 89. Better performance, mpg and many report less decel popping on skoots with that occurring.

1700's with exhaust mods, a good BAK and proper FI tuning can run 87 with no problems. The 1700 is a mild engine, 9.5-1 c.r., a good spark plug design (although Kawi should of stayed with dual plug heads like on the 1500/1600).

In the first few thousand miles I experimented with octane, first runnin 93. On the first tank of 89 the engine ran noticeable smoother, a tiny bit better throttle response and about 4 tenths better mpg. Ran 89 for awhile then switched to 87. No pinging and no change in anything other than saving some $$$ at the pump.

RACNRAY
Is anyone using 89 Oct in the northeast with any success? Ray is down in Florida and i'm wondering if the climate makes a difference in engine performance with 93 vs 89 up in New England.

"Leaders Are People Who Go Their Own Way Without Looking to See if Anyone Is Following" ~ John Holt