View Single Post
Old 01-05-2013, 07:09 PM   #9
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shardy View Post
Hi, all. I'm new and just bought an '08 Nomad from a "reputable" dealer. The bike has just over 15K miles and seems to be in excellent condition. The dealer says all the fluids were changed before I picked it up, but here's the rub. He overfilled the bike with more than a half a quart of oil so I'm not sure just how reputable he is. As soon as I got home I drained and refilled with Rotella T6. Other fluids do look new and clear. Is there anything else I should look for at this point?
It's an odd deal. If you go by the book it says the bike's capacity is 3.7 quarts when changing oil and the filter. I find that's too much even with the larger capacity 3300 Bosch filter. I noticed it on my first oil change. After changing the oil and filter, I fired the bike up and let it run a bit. Shut it down and let it sit for a while to settle the oil down. After setting it up level to check it, found the oil to be clean over the top of the sight glass. I drained a bit out via the filter screen until it looked right. The first time I thought maybe I mis-measured when filling it or something and made a mental note to be more careful with the measurement. Next change it did it again and I was being real careful this time. Let a bit out again. Now I've started using 3.5 quarts and it's still a little high but much closer.

In case anybody wonders............no I wasn't using the metric scale on my measuring cup/pitcher.

VBA member #01682
Green 1999 Nomad 1500 carb'd 43,000 miles
JOG'd at 20,000, JOG failed at 40,000
SOG'd at 40,000
Darksider

Last edited by danimal2; 01-05-2013 at 08:15 PM.