View Single Post
Old 04-17-2011, 10:53 PM   #30

one less Nomad on the road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Netnorske
Quote:
Originally Posted by Top Cat (TC)

Was it the same deal, you turning and the other person not paying attention?
TC,
I was on that ride so I can respond. The leader of the ride (who shall remain nameless) pulled over very unexpectedly so the others could get some photos of a landmark, braking hard in the process. I was right behind him, but did not feel safe trying to stop that quickly and went on by. I think whoever was behind me did the same. The next couple people tried to stop including Bill....and the person coming up the rear (also to remain nameless) was late in stopping and tried to avoid by moving to the far right. There was some contact between bikes as Bill explained. I heard a tire squeeling and was expecting the worst. It turned out okay, but was still a good wakeup call for everyone.

You can't make any sudden manuevers when group riding. Everyone reacts at different speeds, so doing things slow and deliberately gives everyone a chance to see and respond to what is happening. Chit happens quick...and usually when you least expect it. Try to always expect it.

Just getting back to this post. Kris has pegged what occurred.

Frankly, I think a very serious argument can be made that riding in staggered file using the 2 sec rule is not safe at highway speeds. The only way it can be done safely is if you stayed 100% focues in front of you 100% of the time. And, that simply is not going to happen or be done by 99.6754% of motor cycle riders. Why ride though God Country just to focus on the bike in front of you?