View Single Post
Old 04-03-2011, 01:32 PM   #19

2002 Carbed 1500 Nomad HELP!

Ok... here is where You all get to chuckle and shake your heads... Admittedly I am IGNORANT concerning mechanics. Flip side to that is I am REALLY grateful for the info that you share with me. With that being said... Because the bike had a "choke" I assumed it was carbed. It is NOT a choke. According the the Klymers book it is an idle adjuster. My bike is fuel injected. (que the laughing and shaking of your heads...)

So.. 2002 Nomad. Fuel injected. Vance & Hines pipes. NO FUEL COMMANDER. K&N air filter.

Plugs that were in it were not fouled, but they were the wrong plugs according to the book. So replaced the plugs with hotter plugs. Cleaned the air filter. Checked the seals. Poured 1/2 bottle of alcohol in tank, warmed it up and ran it through emissions again. Failed again by one full point. First failure was 2 points off and second failure was 1 point off.

I was told that there is "too much air getting through and that air is turning into carbon monoxide."

I was told that since the pipes were changed that "I HAVE to get a fuel commander or it will NEVER pass"

I was told "I have a leak" somewhere.

I was told "Find a set of stock pipes, put them on and then you will pass emissions"

I have NO IDEA of what to do.