Thread: GAS LEAK
View Single Post
Old 07-24-2009, 02:09 PM   #14
Mega-Contributor

GAS LEAK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow Jacket
I would suggest just replace the gasket. Shouldn't be worn out yet on a 2007 but maybe it was a poor one to start with.

Also, there should be some resistance when closing the gas cap as it compresses the gasket.

P.S. If you fill the tank on the sidestand and then stand the bike up with the cap OPEN you will dump about 1 gallon of gas all over the place!
I can vouch for this. On the Tuesday Devil's Tower Ride during the Custer Rally we pulled into a gas station in Sundance WY, we had 38 bikes and 4 gas pumps, I think. When it was my turn, I rolled up to the pump, set the bike on the sidestand and filled it while straddling the bike to save time. Get in, get fuel and get out. Well I topped the tank up to my normal level and was in a hurry to get out of the way and stood the bike up before I closed the gas cap. A fair amount of fuel spilled down the right side of the tank.

It was washed off a few minutes later by the downpour we rode through on the way to Devil's Tower. :(" title="" border="0"/>
VBA #00105
H.O.G. #4250060

2011 H-D Ultra Limited 103ci

:: 2011 HD Electra Glide Ultra Limited w/Stage 1 ::

Rallies: Mesquite '08|Custer '09|Cortez '10|Crescent City '11|Kanab '12|Antlers '12|Estes Park '13|Antlers '13|Orofino '14|The Dalles '17