View Single Post
Old 06-29-2016, 07:53 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by VulcanD View Post
I just completed a 2500 mile trip, the second stop of which was a visit to Ivan's shop to get the upgrade. I am pleased. The bike has a LOT more power, just as Ivan's dyno sheets suggest. Decel popping and backfiring are gone. My bike is stock except for RACNRAY's throttle mod. The herky jerky has not improved---it actually seems worse. Perhaps I just need to adjust my throttle.

I have had pinging three times. The first two occurred when dropping down from 6th to 5th at about 55 and gunning it to pass. The first time that occurred I had 90 octane, so I thought maybe I just needed higher octane fuel. The second time I had 91 octane (hard to find 93 on the back roads). The third time it occurred when I twisted the throttle in 5th pretty hard going up a hill, and that was with 93 octane. So it appears that pinging can occur even without a new air box and even with high octane fuel. I may get back to Ivan with whether I want to tweak it. I will say that this only occurred when the bike had been running a long time and it was hot. Don't know the relevance, but that's when it happened.

I choose to stick with stock pipes and air. I can't imagine that this is much of a restriction up through 5th at normal fast acceleration, as it is now wayyyy faster getting up to speed. I do sense that it may be a restriction in 6th. When I try to accelerate hard at, say, 65, it goes faster than it did, but I feel like it wants to swallow more air than is available. Ivan says air is also a restriction at higher RPMs.

Like JD Hog, my gas mileage seems a bit higher when I ride gently. On the flat heading east with a slight tailwind, I got about 44 mpg, a bit higher (2 mpg) than my previous best. That was running between 62 and 65 (actual) in 6th. MPG gies down significantly for me above 70. Wind has a big effect, so the comparisons are hard.

I'm glad I did it. I'm not a speed demon at all, but I like the bike to perform, and it does. I'll have to see about the pinging though.
Seeing how pinging is a hot subject now thought I'd throw in my experience. I live in NJ and brought my bike to Ivan directly. I am totally stock and have always used Premium albeit 92. I fill up at WAWA 95% of the time which is a gas/sandwich chain here in NJ like Sheetz or Quick Trip. After completing the flash Ivan took it for a short ride and said it was pinging on full throttle (which I had never heard before then again I rarely open it up full). He suggested strongly that I did not have full premium and to change brands or find a true 93 octane. When I rode it home I opened it up and heard no pinging. I ran the tank down low and filled it at Sunoco with 93 and heard no pinging. Bottom line is I went back to my WAWA and have never heard it ping and hopefully never will. Ivan told me if I wasn't happy or had problems he would be happy to tweek me but so far I really don't see the need.
2002 Honda 750 A.C.E. (gone)
SCRC 2nd Officer Central Jersey Chapter