View Single Post
Old 02-24-2021, 12:38 PM   #10
Advanced Member

The only reason I can fathom why there are two ignition triggers, one for each cylinder is:
1. Better performance? The 2nd cylinder is timed about ten degrees after the 1st cylinder. Each cylinder is timed individually for the best spark timing.
2. Better ignition? No wasted spark when a dual fire (both cylinders fire together) ignition is used. But you don't get the extra quieter "thump" of the spark firing during the mid exhaust stroke of the 2nd cylinder.

So I did a net search of "v-twins with twin ignition" and found a bunch of references to improve Harley performance by changing the "dual fire" ignition (both cylinders fire at the same time) to a "single fire" ignition where each cylinder fires individually at the most optimal timing. Perhaps Kawasaki was ahead of the game to do a single fire ignition on the VN1600 versus the Harley norm of dual fire ignition? Also the VN1600 has two plugs per cylinder, better combustion, better power.

Which then it really puzzles me that on the VN1700, Kawasaki went to a dual fire ignition, both cylinders fire at the same time, with no timing adjustment for either cylinder to optimize ignition timing. Sure the 1700 makes power, more torque, but perhaps that is also how the engine is tuned versus the 1600. With some mods the 1600 can make near the power of the 1700.