View Single Post
Old 01-13-2009, 10:08 AM   #9

When does "empty" mean "zip-nada-zilch"?

In the 61K miles I have put on my 30 month old bike, I have discovered and realized a thing or two about the Nomad.

1. The 5.3 gal tank does not mean you can draw 5.3 gal out of that tank. I ran out, engine spitting and sputtering into a gas station, after 176 miles, light on for some time, but could only put 4.7 gal in... The next time in central Florida, made a wrong turn, no gas station for 20+ miles, light went on at 150 miles, engine stopped running at 182 miles, sent a friend for gas (on his Harley- oh crap!), this time, I put in a total of 4.8 gal. The pick up tube in my bike will only let me draw 4.8 gal of the 5.3 tank! Be careful!

2. If I ride at 55mph or below, I can get up to 44 mpg on a good day with just cleaned throttle bodies. Twist the right hand to 75 mph it goes down to about 36 mpg if no wind, and clean throttle bodies and a low 32 mpg with a strong head wind and TB's that have not been cleaned for some time. Makes it kinda tough to guess using the odo. But I usually do.

3. Don't get into the habit of running too low, the fuel pump in the bottom of the tank uses gas to cool it, and should be covered in gas for this reason. Ask your dealer how expensive it is to have a fuel pump changed, I did, it was over $800, that was two years ago.

Good luck my friend!