Vulcan Bagger Forums

Vulcan Bagger Forums (http://www.vulcanbagger.com/forums/index.php)
-   Off-Topic (http://www.vulcanbagger.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   Krylon Plastic Paint or Plasti-Dip (http://www.vulcanbagger.com/forums/showthread.php?t=38804)

davidhollinger 07-23-2014 08:18 AM

Krylon Plastic Paint or Plasti-Dip

I have to do some work on my Honda ATV before hunting season. I wanted to do some touch up on the plastic body's painted surface. I did this a few years ago and it came out OK with the Krylon for plastic surfaces but that was before the plasti-dip came out.
Anyone who has used it before or knows about this kind of thing, which should I go with? And what is the cost per can on the Plasti-Dip? I plan on taking the body pieces off and ordered the snaps to put it back together after painting.

Bamabrat 07-23-2014 10:55 AM

Dave,
I use plasti-dip on my batwing deflectors and OEM lowers. I like plasti-dip but haven't tried the Krylon. You can get plasti-dip at wal-mart, lowes, home depot, ACE, etc. I have black, white, and clear coat and have been happy with them. I don't remember the cost per can, but you can look it up on wal-mart.com.

davidhollinger 07-23-2014 01:15 PM

Thanks Jason, I am going to run by today and see if they have a green or red. If I paint it over with the rattle can do I have to go back over it with the clear coat?

Bamabrat 07-23-2014 01:57 PM

If you want it to shine, yes. Otherwise it will be flat. Plasti-dip coats dry in about 30 minutes if you're working outside. I normally apply 3-4 coats, letting each dry for 20-30 minutes. You can tell when it dries. Then apply 3-4 coats of clear coat to really make it shine. So that you don't get running, I would practice on something very small before you try to do pieces of your bike...just my opinion. The good thing is that if you don't like it, peel it off and start over! Let me know if I can help Dave. good luck.

BTW...I've never seen green or red at wally world. You may have to order those colors online, but check anyway. Maybe different colors are sold in different markets.

jlreeves 07-23-2014 03:18 PM

So let me get this straight, there is a clear plasti-dip? Or were you putting regular old clear coat over plasti-dip?

Bamabrat 07-23-2014 03:46 PM

no, it's plasti-dip brand clear coat
http://www.lowes.com/pd_230659-61158...ductId=3760699

jlreeves 07-23-2014 05:53 PM

Well that's very interesting. Good find.

dshelly 07-23-2014 06:26 PM

Two words.........Red.......Neck.....:D

plumber63 07-23-2014 08:42 PM

Dave Krylon is paint and would be more permanent. Plasti dip is a rubber coating and you can peel it back off later if you want to (you need about 5 coats to do it) . They sell it at Menards around here and have a bigger selection than Walmart or home depot. It ranges from $6 to $10 per 11 oz spray can. I have used both and it really depends and what you are trying to do on which is better. Permanent use Krylon paint. Look up dipyourcar.com on youtube.

HwyRider 07-23-2014 08:54 PM

When plumber63 says permanent he is correct. Krylon fuses with ABS plastic. It can't be stripped off of ABS. It embeds itself in to the ABS. If you make a mistake with Krylon you can sand it down but the color will always be there. I used it on my old Goldwing trunk lid.

Bamabrat 07-24-2014 08:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dshelly (Post 588422)
Two words.........Red.......Neck.....:D

that's how we roll dave :D

id-man 07-24-2014 11:38 AM

Not to hijack this thread but has anyone used plastidip on front fork lowers? Does it get too beat up there or will it last a while, thanks for the info if you've tried it.

davidhollinger 07-24-2014 12:39 PM

Well I went with the Krylon, mostly based on the price and my experience with it. I have one coat on it, and will add another 3 today and tomorrow, then go over with the clear.

Yeah that redneck life style is hard to defend but easy to love!

Bamabrat 07-24-2014 01:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by id-man (Post 588535)
Not to hijack this thread but has anyone used plastidip on front fork lowers? Does it get too beat up there or will it last a while, thanks for the info if you've tried it.

Yep. If you would read my post (just messin with you), I did my front lowers and my batwing deflectors in plasti-dip and plasti dip clear coat. I've had them on for almost a year without any problems. Just use a wet rag to wipe them off. They have small nicks but you can't see them unless you are really close. Mine are also black, so not sure if that makes a big difference. Hope this helps.

plumber63 07-24-2014 07:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by id-man (Post 588535)

I painted the back side of my lowers so the bugs and rocks couldn't damage the paint or plasti dip finish. And the color shows thru since they are clear plexi.:yep: