Vulcan Bagger Forums

Vulcan Bagger Forums (http://www.vulcanbagger.com/forums/index.php)
-   1500 & 1600 Nomad (http://www.vulcanbagger.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   different whine than most ? (http://www.vulcanbagger.com/forums/showthread.php?t=31469)

starvy40 12-06-2012 04:20 PM

different whine than most ?

I have a 2006 nomad, the other day I pulled up to a stop light and heard this loud whinning sound, wasnt sure if it was a the cars around me or who it was so I shut my bike off and it was me. When I started it up again the sound was gone. today I was riding and I heard the sound again, I pulled over and listened to it, it sounds like gears whinning in the engine. I turned it off, and when starting it up it was once again gone. what in the heck ? it's a pretty scarey sound for it to go away after turning off and re-starting. the fan was not on either time.

k9sarky 12-06-2012 04:40 PM

Fuel pump maybe?

cnc 12-06-2012 04:41 PM

It might be the fuel pump as they tend to start to whine,or a bearing in the motor. You need a stethoscope or piece of garden hose to try and pinpoint the noise. Also, does the whine increase with rpm or is it constant.

starvy40 12-06-2012 04:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cnc (Post 478193)
It might be the fuel pump as they tend to start to whine,or a bearing in the motor. You need a stethoscope or piece of garden hose to try and pinpoint the noise. Also, does the whine increase with rpm or is it constant.

It's only done it twice, not like it does it all the time. I don't think it increased with rpm but if and when it does it again I will see. bearing in the motor would seem odd just for the fact why would it stop on a re-start ?

Top Cat 12-06-2012 05:06 PM

My professional :D diagnosis is fuel pump.
Mine started to whine so I changed it, ok, had it changed.
Some guys just let it whine and take a chance on being stranded in the boondocks.

cactusjack 12-06-2012 05:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Top Cat (Post 478209)
Some guys just let it whine and take a chance on being stranded in the boondocks.

Mine whined for 2 years and never failed me. Some of you whine much longer. :lol:

starvy40 12-06-2012 05:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Top Cat (Post 478209)

Did yours start off by random coming and going ?

redjay 12-06-2012 05:16 PM

My fuel pump whined for 30,000 kms with no stranding in the boondocks.
P.S. Where are the boondocks ? (g).

cactusjack 12-06-2012 05:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by redjay (Post 478215)

Probably near where Tim lives! :D

cactusjack 12-06-2012 05:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by starvy40 (Post 478214)

I can't answer for him, but mine started during the Custer Rally in 2009. I attributed it to some bad fuel I may have picked up along the way. It may have just been coincidence, but I question the quality of gasoline in some rural areas. It would come and go over the couple of years I had the problem.

ringadingh 12-06-2012 05:23 PM

Since I replaced my motor with one from an 06, I noticed that it whines on decel, It sounds like its coming from somewhere in the engine but hard to pinpoint, as it only does it when I'm in motion. It sounds like a turbocharger on a truck, but not as loud.
It doesn't seem to affect anything so I'm not to concerned about it, more just curious.

Top Cat 12-06-2012 05:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cactusjack (Post 478213)
Mine whined for 2 years and never failed me. Some of you whine much longer. :lol:

You are one of the "some guys" I mentioned in my post :yep:

Quote:

Originally Posted by starvy40 (Post 478214)

Yes it started intermitant then got worse and whined all the time so I had it changed rather than get stranded somewhere. Piece of mind was worth it for me.

Quote:

How far is 30,000 kms, about a mile and a half http://www.vulcanbagger.com/forums/i...ons/icon55.gif
The boondocks are in a song by billy Joe Royal.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BSWRlDoXbYU

cnc 12-06-2012 06:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by starvy40 (Post 478196)
It's only done it twice, not like it does it all the time. I don't think it increased with rpm but if and when it does it again I will see. bearing in the motor would seem odd just for the fact why would it stop on a re-start ?

I don't know that it is a bearing, but based on what you first said it could be, or just as easily the fuel pump. Just in general and not Nomad specific, sometimes when a roller, needle or ball bearing goes bad it can temporarily jam and then the race will start to spin on the shaft or housing. Stopping the rotation could temporarily un jam the bearing and it will stop spinning on the shaft or housing.
If the noise does not change with RPM, you can pretty much rule out the engine and suspect the pump IMO.

Rasta 12-06-2012 07:16 PM

Quote:

In Iowa!

www.truckstopreport.com/Detailed/4516.html

MAS Tequila 12-07-2012 08:03 AM

A decel whine usually indicates a front bevel gear bearing is on the way out.

MT

Quote:

Originally Posted by ringadingh (Post 478219)
Since I replaced my motor with one from an 06, I noticed that it whines on decel, It sounds like its coming from somewhere in the engine but hard to pinpoint, as it only does it when I'm in motion. It sounds like a turbocharger on a truck, but not as loud.
It doesn't seem to affect anything so I'm not to concerned about it, more just curious.