Vulcan Bagger Forums

Vulcan Bagger Forums (http://www.vulcanbagger.com/forums/index.php)
-   1500 & 1600 Nomad (http://www.vulcanbagger.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   spot/running lights (http://www.vulcanbagger.com/forums/showthread.php?t=37966)

Top Cat 05-09-2014 01:40 PM

spot/running lights

I want to put some extra light on the front of Cindy's Boardwalk.
I am looking at running 2 of these lights. Here are the specs.
Question, seeing as they only draw 0.53A per light, can I just wire them directly to her headlight with no switch or relay?

Product Specifications Amps0.53A
ColorNatural WhiteColor
Temperature5000
KCurrent Draw530m
RatingWaterproof Submersible IP68LED
LED TypeCREE XM-LLength 5cm(2.0in)
Lumen700
Power Consumption6.4 Watts Type Fixture Operating Voltage10~30
VDCWire Length34.29cm(13.5in)

Sin City Stan 05-09-2014 02:10 PM

0.53A/E = 13 watts. The only problem with direct wiring to the headlight is that you could not turn them off at night. Who makes them?

Top Cat 05-09-2014 02:56 PM

They are on the superbrightleds.com website.

http://www.superbrightleds.com/morei...customerreview

It does not bother me that I would not be able to turn them off at night.
I just don't want to burnout the headlight switch or something.
Not to familiar with all the electrical terminology.

Sin City Stan 05-09-2014 03:58 PM

The you should not have a problem adding 12 watts to the headlight circuit.

Also, CREE is now one of the leading LED manufactures. Used them in quite a few commercial applications with 100% success. I even use the CREE MR16 LED equivalent ay home on track lighting.

CREE LEDs are also one of the most popular retrofits on the Las Vegas strip. 10's of thousands have been installed.

Looks like a win-win for you.

The question now is are you going to connect them to the low or high beam circuit?

Jared 05-09-2014 04:24 PM

What your hesitation to add a relay. It would only take a few extra minutes?

I have all my accessories (lightbar, radio, GPS, fuel processor, 12v plug, heated gear, etc) all running to a single fuse block and then have a relay between the block and battery. So everything is relayed. Anytime I want to add something additional I go directly to the fuse block to power it.

Top Cat 05-09-2014 04:39 PM

Stan, we run high beam all the time, even in daylight hours.
I want to add them so she is more visible.
Don't ride at night unless caught out late.
Will run them off high beam.

Jared, my hesitation is the wiring.
There is not much room on her bike to put stuff out of sight.
I had to stuff the relay for the horn between the frame and the battery under the seat.

Top Cat 05-09-2014 04:44 PM

Next question :D
I am going to mount them on the highway bar which is grounded to the frame in 3 places.
There are 2 wires coming from each light. I have to assume they are power and ground.
Can I just connect the two power wires together and connect it to the high beam wire in the headlight bucket?
The 2 ground wires I assume I can just hook to a bolt holding the highway bar on.
Thanks for all the help guys.

cnc 05-09-2014 05:21 PM

Tim, you should/could look and see if the headlight has it's own ground wire on the plug. You could then run the grounds along with the hot wires into the headlight bucket and even run them in black plastic or chrome loom for a clean look.
I run a latch switch type relay hidden in my headlight bucket to control the driving lights using the high beam switch. Flick on high, driving and high beam on, flick on low and the low beam is on with the driving lights, flick on high a second time and only the high beam goes on, flick on low again and it is only the low beam.

ringadingh 05-09-2014 06:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jared (Post 574396)
What your hesitation to add a relay. It would only take a few extra minutes?

I have all my accessories (lightbar, radio, GPS, fuel processor, 12v plug, heated gear, etc) all running to a single fuse block and then have a relay between the block and battery. So everything is relayed. Anytime I want to add something additional I go directly to the fuse block to power it.

Thats how I have my accessories wired as well, but for a pair of lights that have such a small draw on them its not any real benefit to do so.
If the lights drew a couple amps or more than it would be worthwhile.

Sin City Stan 05-09-2014 11:25 PM

Tim,

You want the narrow beam LED lights (27 degree). The 45 degree beam is more suitable for off road use.

Top Cat 05-10-2014 08:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sin City Stan (Post 574447)
Tim,

You want the narrow beam LED lights (27 degree). The 45 degree beam is more suitable for off road use.

Thanks Stan, got them ordered :tup:

cnc 05-10-2014 01:15 PM

Now tell the truth Tim, which is more fun, wrenching on a Nomad or wrenching on a Victory?:lmao:

Top Cat 05-10-2014 03:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cnc (Post 574510)
Now tell the truth Tim, which is more fun, wrenching on a Nomad or wrenching on a Victory?:lmao:

Riding the Nomad :yep: