Vulcan Bagger Forums

Vulcan Bagger Forums (http://www.vulcanbagger.com/forums/index.php)
-   Off-Topic (http://www.vulcanbagger.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   XM/Sirius radio (http://www.vulcanbagger.com/forums/showthread.php?t=34078)

cactusjack 06-08-2013 06:08 PM

XM/Sirius radio

My wife bought a new car a couple of weeks ago and it came with 3 months of XM satellite radio free. I have never been enamored with satellite radio until now. I was thinking I'd like to have XM on my bike when I go to Estes Park.

Harley sells an XM module that integrates with the premium sound system I have, but I don't want it bad enough to shell out 5 bills for it!

I was at Best Buy today looking at "add on" XM receivers. The two they had are basically designed for car use, they would work, but I don't want to have to mount an antenna, etc if I don't have to.

I was looking online and saw portable units with a built in antenna. I have a USB power source in my fairing and it looks like that could be used to charge the battery or power the unit. What I don't know is how well these units work. Out here in the west, radio stations can be few and far between once you leave the city. I can't stomach C&W music and Navajo language stations don't do me any good.

I am hoping some of you have experience with adding XM to a motorcycle and can give me some quick tips or suggestions. Time's a wastin', two weeks from today I'll be en route to the rally. I need to make a choice fast.

firestetz 06-08-2013 06:12 PM

If you have a smart phone subscribe to the internet package and stream it with the app by blue tooth or aux plug that's how I do it.

cactusjack 06-08-2013 06:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by firestetz (Post 515220)
If you have a smart phone subscribe to the internet package and stream it with the app by blue tooth or aux plug that's how I do it.

What do you do when there's no wireless signal?

jlreeves 06-08-2013 06:37 PM

My GPS has XM built in so I use that now but used to use a Stratus 6 and motorcycle mounting kit from http://www.tss-radio.com/

They are really great to deal with.

coacha 06-08-2013 06:39 PM

I have a Stratus 6 set up on my bike, running through the J/M headsets. I am currently working on hard wiring it into the Beemer and also hard wiring the Nomad. It works pretty good.

schoeney 06-08-2013 08:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cactusjack (Post 515222)

Scott you might want to talk to Idaho (Bud). I know he was pretty happy with his XM set up he had at the Canmore Rally last year and it was pretty simple.

I was wondering about that XM phone app as well. It may have that feature that"tapes" (can't remember the correct term) your favorite channel(s) and plays them when there is no cell signal. If that is the case that is the way I will go. I had XM in my last car and loved it on long trips. Really helps fight the fatigue/boredom when on the interstate.

firestetz 06-08-2013 08:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cactusjack (Post 515222)

Play one of the xm shows I like that I downloaded through the app.

fammdw 06-08-2013 08:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by schoeney (Post 515234)
Scott you might want to talk to Idaho (Bud). I know he was pretty happy with his XM set up he had at the Canmore Rally last year and it was pretty simple.

I was wondering about that XM phone app as well. It may have that feature that"tapes" (can't remember the correct term) your favorite channel(s) and plays them when there is no cell signal. If that is the case that is the way I will go. I had XM in my last car and loved it on long trips. Really helps fight the fatigue/boredom when on the interstate.

I have the Sirius XM app on my iPhone and I use the record feature if I am traveling in areas with weak to no cell signal. Works pretty good...

Idaho 06-08-2013 10:20 PM

I have a Roady XT mounted on the center of the handlebars. The audio out plugs into the J&M CB aux input. If it rains I just put a small baggie over the radio and hold it in place with a rubber band.

The antenna is just a small puck with a very long antenna lead. That lead is coiled up in a windshield bag and the puck sets on top of the bag with a strong magnet underneath to hold it in place.

I hope this helps.

caribou 06-08-2013 11:48 PM

I have a portable XM OMI that I take to work. I got a handle bar mount online. I have the same type antenna as Idaho and put the puck inside the faring on top of the radio. Works great. Just enough wire exposed to hook up.

OutlawImmortal 06-09-2013 03:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by firestetz (Post 515220)

How much is the streaming package now? I had totally forgot about that.

fammdw 06-09-2013 08:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OutlawImmortal (Post 515273)
How much is the streaming package now? I had totally forgot about that.

It's a $3.50 add on to your standard account. I think they offer it as a stand alone service as well, but I'm not sure what the cost of that would be. Check their website...