PDA

View Full Version : For those travelling to Utah this summer

dantama
01-11-2008, 01:52 PM
I've travelled extensively through Utah on My Nomads.

There is so much to see in Utah, but if your limited on time I can help you hit the best parts.

If you have any questions about routes and places to see. Hit me up.

Here's a map of the main roads that I've ridden a Nomad on.

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y237/dantama/utah.gif
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y237/dantama/utah2.gif

audiogooroo
01-11-2008, 02:29 PM
Good to know. Thanks!

trip
01-12-2008, 08:59 AM
I'd say you've just about hit them all, Dan. When I was in Utah last October, I only hit a fraction of those, but the ones I rode were great. Next time I plan a trip to Utah, I'll be calling on you for some advice.

http://www.hilliard.ws/utah/utah.htm

Trip

01-12-2008, 09:56 AM
As will I. I've hit about half of those (if that)

If you want to ride a windy road, you'll love the stretch between rush valley and dugway (gray road south of the great salt lake on the map)

I call it the dragon because its probably the closest thing we have to deals gap.

rlfaubion
01-12-2008, 11:19 AM
Utah is a beautiful State. It also offers more free camping than any other state. I've been fortunate enough to ride a lot of it, but not as much as you Dan.

dantama
01-12-2008, 03:02 PM

If you want to ride a windy road, you'll love the stretch between rush valley and dugway (gray road south of the great salt lake on the map)

I call it the dragon because its probably the closest thing we have to deals gap.

Wolfman, nobody ever clued me in to that road, and I've been on some pretty obscure roads in your area.

I rode the dirt road that goes up above the copper mine and drops down to your side, but never knew about the good one.

cactusjack
01-13-2008, 09:57 AM

What about Big/Little Cottonwood Canyons, Emigration Canyon, Amercan Fork Canyon, Parleys Canyon, East Canyon, Daniels Canyon, any one of those would be a great twisty ride. Parleys would be the least fun, being that it's I-80 and 3-4 lanes in each direction. After the Mesquite rally, I plan on riding up the road to SLC and ride some of these on the Nomad.

01-13-2008, 10:25 AM
They're all good too. If your starting in Salt lake Head up parleys take 1-84 at echo junction to morgan and come down east canyon and immagration. Thats a great ride I've done a few times. Look alive if you ride parleys. Trucks in the slow lane do 10 mph - cars in the fast lane do 90 mph and the middle lane can be anywhere inbetween.

I'm sure there are some good ones in southern Utah I just haven't ridden down there much.

The nebo loop is probably one of my all time fav's. (Nephi to payson on the East side of I-15) I think it goes up to almost 10,000 feet. The really good roads are only open in the summer - too much snow.

dantama
01-13-2008, 08:55 PM
[quote:7tpfajvp]As will I. I've hit about half of those (if that)

What about Big/Little Cottonwood Canyons, Emigration Canyon, American Fork Canyon, Parleys Canyon, East Canyon, Daniels Canyon, any one of those would be a great twisty ride. Parleys would be the least fun, being that it's I-80 and 3-4 lanes in each direction. After the Mesquite rally, I plan on riding up the road to SLC and ride some of these on the Nomad.[/quote:7tpfajvp]

Those are all great roads, as is the Nebo Loop that Wolfman mentioned. Probably my all time favorite road is the Alpine Loop. I loved it in the spring when the gates were still closed. Eventually there would only be one area of snow left just past the Timpanooke turn off.

I would scrape up gravel from the side of the road and build a 6 inch wide trail across the snow and have access to the whole loop, with no cars. It is a very good road with the cars, but it's the greatest when you have the whole place to yourself, with no worries about a car coming around a corner.

I have two different riding styles, the canyon carver style, and the solitary middle of nowhere Southern Utah rider. One ride is hard and aggressive, the other quick, but more into getting lost in the spectacular beauty and solitude of the ride.

dantama
06-06-2008, 09:39 AM
Bump for anyone going to the Western Rally.

cactusjack
06-06-2008, 09:44 AM
Another potentially nice ride would be Guardsman Pass, between Big Cottonwood Canyon near Brighton Ski Area and Park City. I know they don't plow it in winter and it *used* to be hard-packed dirt, not sure if it's been paved yet. I used to hunt deer in that area.

dantama
06-06-2008, 10:17 AM
Another potentially nice ride would be Guardsman Pass, between Big Cottonwood Canyon near Brighton Ski Area and Park City. I know they don't plow it in winter and it *used* to be hard-packed dirt, not sure if it's been paved yet. I used to hunt deer in that area.

That was also a favorite if I wanted to go to Park City. It has about a mile of dirt, and on the Park City side, developers have made a nice road with great pavement on the down hill side.

cactusjack
06-06-2008, 10:33 AM
I haven't been up there in probably 15 years. Beautiful view looking towards Heber, too.