PDA

View Full Version : Drain Plug

zoom45
08-05-2007, 09:22 AM
I was changing my oil this morning and found the drain plug threads are stripped. http://s2.images.proboards.com/angry.gif:(" title=">:(" border="0"/> Is there an oversize plug for it or should I install a heli-coil? :-/ Stuck at home for now with nice sunshine today http://s2.images.proboards.com/angry.gif:(" title=">:(" border="0"/>.
zoom45

jmorrow
08-05-2007, 09:49 AM
zoom, Sorry to hear about you unfortunate breakdown. You might try going to you loacal auto parts and purchase a self-tapping oil plug. I did this once on a car and it worked great, it didn't seep or anything. just be sure it comes with some type of gasket. Just a thought.....

zoom45
08-05-2007, 10:30 AM
I looked at our local Auto Zone but all they had were odd sizes. I think the Nomad plug is a 12 x 1.50 bolt. The only drain plugs or heli coils I could find were for a 12 x 1.25 or 12 x 1.75 bolt. The thread pitch must be an unusual size on the Nomad. If I have to drill it and tap it it I had rather keep it stock size.
zoom45

dogdoc
08-05-2007, 02:38 PM
Zoom: Same thing happened to my bro on his '06 Nomad but he thinks the dealer stripped it on the first change. the dealer installed what they called a time sert? and it dripped so they did another and its holding. Also on Gadgets website he had an article about how you could buy a slightly bigger self tapping drain plug and put cutting oil on the threads go a couple turns and re=oil said it worked great, cost $3. of course you could use a tap/die set and recut a new one but finding the exact plug to match is hard. The time serts are not cheap for the dealer to insert, something like $150. Hope you get it up and running soon.

Doc

ponch
08-05-2007, 03:08 PM
I tried the oversize with my jetta and still leaked. There is a slick repair kit out there that uses a metal insert and is crimped in. I think gadget was going to add it to his site. Some dealers will have it. I drain from the screen plug now, as it's easier, gets more oil out and there is less chance of stripping.

dogdoc
08-06-2007, 03:16 PM
Could somebody inform me where this "screen" is that you drain the oil from that's suppose to be better. I own a '05 but have not been able to locate it. gadgets website told about where to look but I don't see it at all. Does the '05 have one?? Why drain through screen as oppsoed to the drain plug?? Thanks

Doc

jmorrow
08-06-2007, 03:55 PM
Hey Doc, The screen is on the left side of the bike in line with the frame. You have to lay down to look under the bike to see it. It is about an inch behind the regular drain plug on the side of the motor block behind another removable plug. This is on an 04 Nomad I'm not sure if an 05 has one......

zoom45
08-06-2007, 03:57 PM
The screen is on the left side (opposite side from the oil filter). Look right under the frame rail behind your left foot floor board. It takes a 19mm wrench to loosen it. It looks like a bolt head with a giant washer under it. Remove it and a spring and the screen can be pulled out. That's how I'll change my oil from now on. I finally put an insert in the drain plug where it stripped. I couldn't find a standard 12 x 1.50 heli-coil so I drilled it an installed a 12 x 1.75 with a new bolt. The 12 x 1.75 bolt had a wider flange that I had to cut down to the original bolt size. It's fixed now. When it says to torque a bolt, save yourself some trouble and do it. It's a pain to install a heli-coil later. Luckily my harbor freight jack would pick the bike up high enough to get my drill under it. The drill would barely fit past the jack cross brace to keep the hole straight. No leaks and good as new. (Wasted a good day to ride!)
zoom45

dogdoc
08-06-2007, 06:14 PM
Thanks kawa clan for the info on finding the drain screen plug. i have been under that many times looking for it and THIS time I looked and found it right off. I'll be changing my oil now via the screen. I have heard of all kinds of debris found in the screen. Plastic ties, plastic, all kinds of crud accumlates there Im told. I also added a couple rare earth magnets to the drain plug and the filter. Can't hurt. Thanks again all!!!

Doc

blowndodge
08-06-2007, 07:07 PM
Always always use this as your drain point!!!!! I will never take out the middle plug!

socwkbiker
08-07-2007, 02:53 PM
Thanks all, now I know what to do.

scion0
06-30-2008, 02:49 PM
Always always use this as your drain point!!!!! I will never take out the middle plug!

Do you still believe this? If so, cleaning the screen is not that big a deal to you?

07-01-2008, 01:59 AM
I always do it from the screen. It's no big deal to clean, and you get more oil out that way. I haven't pulled the drain bolt once in 32,000 miles now.