PDA

View Full Version : Helmet

socwkbiker
08-03-2007, 11:33 AM
Ok, I know that we all wear our helmet everytime we ride. ::). So I wonder, do y'all always wear your lid and what type is it? What are your feelings about wearing full face helmets?

I personally wear a DOT skullcap type helmet. It was shiny black until I left it on the coffee table and our 4 month old Pit found it and thought it was a cool chew toy. Now it has paint missing all over it, so I've decided to put evil jester stickers on it.

I'm not sure that I could wear a full helmet, but then I hear all the stories and wonder if I shouldn't change my mind on that.

What are your opinions?

nightflight1
08-03-2007, 11:58 AM
Personally, I use the half helmet for local rides but on long trips I use the 3/4 because my radio/cd/mps player speakers are mounted in the ear area. I'm not sure I could ever get used to being closed in entirely by a full face helmet, it even hurts to push one of those down over my ears. LOL

08-03-2007, 12:18 PM
I wear a "chrome dome" German style helmet most of the time..... on longer rides or in the rain I wear a Nolan 100 Modular Flip-Up helmet which is way cool.... you can ride with it open like an open-face.... closed with face shield up or down.... I highly recommend it. Very comfortable.

http://www.nolanhelmets.com/n100e.htm

Nico

lomax
08-03-2007, 01:44 PM
...half helmet for me. It keeps me bit cooler. My wife wears a 3/4 with flip up shield. Cause she is sitting up bit higher, she likes to have the wind blocked from her face.

Mike

bluetongue
08-03-2007, 03:19 PM
I wear a 3/4 no sheild and the wife wears a 3/4 with flip up sheild

blowndodge
08-03-2007, 07:06 PM
I'm a beautiful man so I wear a full face helmet!!!!!!!

08-03-2007, 07:12 PM
You guys are so articulate it makes me shiver. ;)

08-03-2007, 07:51 PM
1/2 helmet for me. I used to wear a full face and didn't think it was that bad until I got used to the beanie style. I put the full face back on one cold winter day and swore I'd never wear it again - Way too cumbersome and too much road noise echoing inside.

ponch
08-03-2007, 10:48 PM
I always wear a full face helmet, but it's up to you. I came from NY 4 years ago and I had to wear a helmet there anyway, so it's a matter of habit, but I have seen how beanies protect, or don't. Ask yourself, "what do I have to protect?" do as you will, but do ask yourself the question.

blowndodge
08-03-2007, 10:56 PM
Well stated Ponch. See my reason above

unwind2
08-03-2007, 11:02 PM
3/4 helmet summer and nice fall/winter days. Cold days full face flip up.

ponch
08-03-2007, 11:18 PM
I am not so lucky. sort of like if Victor McLaglen and robert deniro had a kid.

Well stated Ponch. See my reason above

vulcanvixen
08-04-2007, 12:47 AM
In the summer I wear a skid lid - too hot for anything else! When the weather starts cooling down I have a 3/4 with a flip-up face shield. A full helmet makes me feel incredibly claustrophobic!!

socwkbiker
08-04-2007, 07:53 AM
::) Suddenly I don't feel so well. Stomach getting queasy...ooohhh...not good.

http://s2.images.proboards.com/grin.gif http://s2.images.proboards.com/grin.gif http://s2.images.proboards.com/grin.gif

I'm a beautiful man so I wear a full face helmet!!!!!!!

08-04-2007, 08:14 AM
Be Smart!! Do as I say and not as I do!

http://www.msf-usa.org/downloads/Protective_gear_REV.pdf

Nico

blowndodge
08-04-2007, 08:47 AM
[quote author=socwkbiker board=general thread=1186158782 post=1186232004] ::) Suddenly I don't feel so well. Stomach getting queasy...ooohhh...not good.

http://s2.images.proboards.com/grin.gif http://s2.images.proboards.com/grin.gif http://s2.images.proboards.com/grin.gif

LOL! http://s2.images.proboards.com/cool.gif

dip
08-04-2007, 10:27 AM
have 3 - full modular flip, 3/4 with shield, half helmet - all by HJC. wear all three, depending on ride and weather; was wearing half most of the time until recently when a club member died of head trauma when he collided with another vehicle and helmet came off. needless to say that got me to thinking so i switched to 3/4 and wouldn't you know it the next week i went down and skidded a few feet; 3/4 was damaged, but my head came through without a scratch. brains may be a bit scrambled but i suspect that happened many years prior to this accident. from now on 3/4 will be used on most rides, except very cold and/or rainy days. will miss half cause i do enjoy the freedom - but i like my head more. to each his own.

08-04-2007, 10:31 AM
Smart move Dip.

dogdoc
08-04-2007, 03:55 PM
I wear an NexL Sports beanie(half) which cost about $200. the testimonials and pics I have seen on hundreds of wrecks proved to me this is one TOUGH helmet. They are hard to find, order and wait a long time but worth it. No soft padding just mold to your head. For cold weather I own a 3/4 Shoei no face mask for me and wife has same. Here in TX its the beanie about 8-9 mo a year. of course a few days of do-wrags too.

Happy Riding

Doc

blowndodge
08-04-2007, 04:48 PM
I just picked up a 3/4 JHC today. Rode home with it on. Pretty nice but my beautiful face in now exposed!! I'll need to be careful I guess!!!!!!

lw
08-04-2007, 05:40 PM
Having seen the traumatic effects of bike wrecks from working accident scenes I always wear a lid. In my ATV days I had a full face but since we are a subdivision of Hades I was always wringin wet. I wear an HJC half and it isnt too bad most days. I like the removable liner so when I do sweat it up I can take it out and wash it and have essentially a new helmet all over again. I plan on picking up a 3/4 flip-up before our 45 minutes of winter arrives after the first of the year. I will have to start contacting manufacturers to see if anyone even makes a kevlar jacket in a Gi-mongous, because nobody here carries one that will fit. If I can find a mfr that makes them, it will likely cause a worldwide shortage of kevlar.
I'm in enough trouble with PETA over my vest purchase, but I'll probably end up in leather for the winter as well; but that would be too hot for summer riding on the face of the sun.

stewart
08-04-2007, 07:02 PM
Living in Wisconsin I wear a full-face helmet whenever I ride. I'm thinking about a 3/4 when I pick-up the Nomad.

I would say this when it comes to helmets. Buy one that fits right, is a minimum of DOT certified, is comfortable, and that you will wear. A full-face helmet on the book shelf is less useful than a 1/2 helmet on your head. Just wear a helmet. As so many of us learn when we least expect it, our helmet may be the reason we live to have these sorts of discussions.

I have a friend who is an accident scene reconstruction expert who has investigated motorcycle accidents where the motorcycle was not even moving forward. From a standing stop a rider falls over, hits their head and dies from the momentum of head hitting the ground.

Please wear a helmet, for your own safety and the benefit of those that love you.

Regards and God Bless,

Stewart

socwkbiker
08-04-2007, 09:35 PM
lw, have you tried leatherup.com? They have a lot of jackets with protection and I think they even have gimongous. And tell PETA to get over it. I had that beef for dinner tonight so http://s2.images.proboards.com/tongue.gif

Having seen the traumatic effects of bike wrecks from working accident scenes I always wear a lid. In my ATV days I had a full face but since we are a subdivision of Hades I was always wringin wet. I wear an HJC half and it isnt too bad most days. I like the removable liner so when I do sweat it up I can take it out and wash it and have essentially a new helmet all over again. I plan on picking up a 3/4 flip-up before our 45 minutes of winter arrives after the first of the year. I will have to start contacting manufacturers to see if anyone even makes a kevlar jacket in a Gi-mongous, because nobody here carries one that will fit. If I can find a mfr that makes them, it will likely cause a worldwide shortage of kevlar.
I'm in enough trouble with PETA over my vest purchase, but I'll probably end up in leather for the winter as well; but that would be too hot for summer riding on the face of the sun.

socwkbiker
08-04-2007, 09:38 PM
Doc, I decided to look that lid up and found a place that's supposed to sell them near me. Do they run small or a bit big. I have a big ol bald noggin no I gotta get big sizes.

I wear an NexL Sports beanie(half) which cost about $200. the testimonials and pics I have seen on hundreds of wrecks proved to me this is one TOUGH helmet. They are hard to find, order and wait a long time but worth it. No soft padding just mold to your head. For cold weather I own a 3/4 Shoei no face mask for me and wife has same. Here in TX its the beanie about 8-9 mo a year. of course a few days of do-wrags too.

Happy Riding

Doc

lw
08-04-2007, 10:05 PM
[quote author=socwkbiker board=general thread=1186158782 post=1186281333]lw, have you tried leatherup.com? They have a lot of jackets with protection and I think they even have gimongous. And tell PETA to get over it. I had that beef for dinner tonight so http://s2.images.proboards.com/tongue.gif

Thanks for the heads up socwkbiker. Does Leatherup do the kevlar mesh jackets? I have found leather locally, but not the mesh, which would be better suited for the sauna-like Houston sumers.

socwkbiker
08-04-2007, 10:08 PM
They do have kevlar mesh jackets. I actually bought one recently with all sorts of armor, thinsulate liner, very comfortable and functional for $79. I saw similar in the stores for $150-$200. That one ran small but they have a lot of jackets.

lw
08-04-2007, 10:18 PM
OK, Thanks again. I tried Cincinnati Tent & Awning, but they were backlogged http://s2.images.proboards.com/grin.gif I'll look em up and see what they have to offer. Friend of mine forwarded a road rash story this week that made my skin crawl (pardon the pun).

ponch
08-05-2007, 03:04 PM
Or as someone once said, if god didn't want us to eat animals, he wouldn't have made them taste like meat.

lw, have you tried leatherup.com? They have a lot of jackets with protection and I think they even have gimongous. And tell PETA to get over it. I had that beef for dinner tonight so http://s2.images.proboards.com/tongue.gif

[quote:c3udje3a]Having seen the traumatic effects of bike wrecks from working accident scenes I always wear a lid. In my ATV days I had a full face but since we are a subdivision of Hades I was always wringin wet. I wear an HJC half and it isnt too bad most days. I like the removable liner so when I do sweat it up I can take it out and wash it and have essentially a new helmet all over again. I plan on picking up a 3/4 flip-up before our 45 minutes of winter arrives after the first of the year. I will have to start contacting manufacturers to see if anyone even makes a kevlar jacket in a Gi-mongous, because nobody here carries one that will fit. If I can find a mfr that makes them, it will likely cause a worldwide shortage of kevlar.
I'm in enough trouble with PETA over my vest purchase, but I'll probably end up in leather for the winter as well; but that would be too hot for summer riding on the face of the sun. [/quote:c3udje3a]

lw
08-06-2007, 10:04 AM
[quote author=ponch board=general thread=1186158782 post=1186344256]Or as someone once said, if god didn't want us to eat animals, he wouldn't have made them taste like meat.

Or as the T-shirt proclaims: "All God's creatures have their place. . . right next to the mashed potatoes"

blowndodge
08-06-2007, 10:07 AM
I will plagiarize these "eating animals" statement today!!!!

socwkbiker
08-06-2007, 10:15 AM
I agree blowndodge! Those are great!

dogdoc
08-07-2007, 08:54 PM
sockbiker: the nexl half helmets are the BEST, hands down. they run true to size, order off there chart according to your head in centimeters. Might take a few weeks to order one but well worth the wait. This helmet stays glued to your head with no buffeting at 80-90mph. i can't be pleased more with it. thx for the feedback

Doc

08-09-2007, 01:13 PM
I need to find me a viking helmet.....with LONG horns

08-09-2007, 01:22 PM
<marquee>http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u272/DrNickDC/viking.jpg</marquee>

socwkbiker
08-09-2007, 01:24 PM
<marquee>lmao!</marquee>

lw
08-09-2007, 01:28 PM
LMAO, I had a fire helmet like that once. Would definitely increase your visibility.

08-09-2007, 02:07 PM
......on 2nd thought.........not so cool. I want to scare little old ladies not make them laugh!

socwkbiker
08-09-2007, 06:39 PM
Doc, I went to D&S Performance, the only place near me that sells these helmets and I was told they are not able to get them anymore. The owner said after the 4th recall they couldn't get any. I did look at a HCI chopper helmet which was extremely lightweight carbonfiber. It's only $60 so I'm going to give it a few looks before I make a decision.

sockbiker: the nexl half helmets are the BEST, hands down. they run true to size, order off there chart according to your head in centimeters. Might take a few weeks to order one but well worth the wait. This helmet stays glued to your head with no buffeting at 80-90mph. i can't be pleased more with it. thx for the feedback

Doc

dogdoc
08-10-2007, 09:17 AM
socwbiker: nexl half is pretty true to size, just fir your head size into there chart, if on the line go up.

Doc

dogdoc
08-10-2007, 09:20 AM
sockbiker: Go have to go directly to there web site nexlsports.com and they have them all there in colors, carbon fiber, etc.

Doc

socwkbiker
08-10-2007, 11:56 AM
Cool. I'll check it out. http://s2.images.proboards.com/grin.gif

bear
08-10-2007, 12:22 PM
I wear an HJC 3/4 helmet with a half shield. I don't like wearing a helmet but I'm too dangerous for my own good.

Had a 1969 Suzuki Titan 500. Slid it sideways through a wet Seattle intersection - had to buy a new helmet but just got dizzy.

Had a 1972 Yamaha DT 360. Flipped that baby on top of me and literally split the helmet in two chunks when it landed on top of me. Walked away with many aches. Then had the opportunity to ram the rear of a Pinto and fly over the top into the roadway. Too many aches to count and one very busted up helmet.

Had a 1977 Sportster. Turned left, really hard, highsided and watched my baby Harley slide away from me. Helmet had a big asphalt blotch as I used my head to cushion my slide from asphalt to ditch. Once a gain needed a new helmet but walked away from the crash.

Had 1973 CB750. Blew the rear tire and rode it off the interstate into a barbed wire fence. Didn't drop it or damage the helmet. Just a lot of ouchees. Also pulled up to work one day, forgot to put my feet down and fell over just like on Laugh-in (beer was involved). Some of you must remember the tricycle! Busted my helmet that time too.

I haven't kissed mother earth since 1980 so everyone I ride with keeps their distance because they say its only a matter of time and they don't want to be involved!!

Anyway, wear em if want to or not! As a Viet Vet I can tell you - when its your time, its your time!!

;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;)

08-10-2007, 12:39 PM
I've only crashed one time. knock on wood. I was 15 and I bought my first bike off my friend for like 180 bucks. I think it was a 1978 Honda scrambler 175cc. Well I didn't have a licence and no training. I got going as fast as I could on a grass stretch next to a road by my house (maybe 3rd gear) when it was time to slow down I pulled the front brake just like I had practiced on the concrete around my house at 2 mph. Well my front tire slid out from under me and the next thing I knew I was sliding on my face (no helmet of course) when I stood up I noticed my hand was facing backwards and wouldn't move. I had broken every bone in my left wrist and didn't even feel it. That experience did me in for about 10 years or so. When I got back from Iraq in 2003 I wanted to learn how to ride so I took an MSF course and bought a Honda Shadow Spirit 1100 (good starter bike).
Now that I have my Nomad I couldn't be happier!

socwkbiker
08-10-2007, 01:31 PM
No offense bear, but I have to agree with your friends and family. I'll take the bus.

I wear an HJC 3/4 helmet with a half shield. I don't like wearing a helmet but I'm too dangerous for my own good.

Had a 1969 Suzuki Titan 500. Slid it sideways through a wet Seattle intersection - had to buy a new helmet but just got dizzy.

Had a 1972 Yamaha DT 360. Flipped that baby on top of me and literally split the helmet in two chunks when it landed on top of me. Walked away with many aches. Then had the opportunity to ram the rear of a Pinto and fly over the top into the roadway. Too many aches to count and one very busted up helmet.

Had a 1977 Sportster. Turned left, really hard, highsided and watched my baby Harley slide away from me. Helmet had a big asphalt blotch as I used my head to cushion my slide from asphalt to ditch. Once a gain needed a new helmet but walked away from the crash.

Had 1973 CB750. Blew the rear tire and rode it off the interstate into a barbed wire fence. Didn't drop it or damage the helmet. Just a lot of ouchees. Also pulled up to work one day, forgot to put my feet down and fell over just like on Laugh-in (beer was involved). Some of you must remember the tricycle! Busted my helmet that time too.

I haven't kissed mother earth since 1980 so everyone I ride with keeps their distance because they say its only a matter of time and they don't want to be involved!!

Anyway, wear em if want to or not! As a Viet Vet I can tell you - when its your time, its your time!!

;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;)

08-10-2007, 01:38 PM
I took the MSF class a few yrs ago and was amazed at the little things I learned........ the "slow, look, lean, & roll" things kinda stick in your head. I recommend it to everyone that's new to riding or just not ridden in a while....... picking up just one little pointer could save your life! Plus, the DMV driving test in CA. is near impossible to pass unless you're at least an intermediate rider, and with the MSF cert you don't have to take it.... don't know if other states are the same.......

Anyway..................... <marquee> SMITE THE H*LL OUT OF ME!!!!!!!!!</marquee>

socwkbiker
08-10-2007, 01:50 PM
Same thing here in Texas Nico. Makes getting that license much easier.

08-10-2007, 02:10 PM
Same thing here. You better be pretty good and have a really small bike if you want to pass the test without taking the MSF course

dharris
08-10-2007, 02:56 PM
That is the way it is in Virginia also.

dip
08-10-2007, 03:43 PM
d@mn - my broken collarbone aint nothing compared to you guys

bear uhhh no need to ever ask...i think i'll walk.

little depressed right now; just cam from doc who says the healing is going rather slowly...thinks i'll be out for at least 3-4 months; hell it will be time to winterize bike by then.

unwind2
08-10-2007, 04:09 PM
Dip - sorry to hear that. My son broke his collar bone sleep walking when he was a senior in high school one day before the band was leaving for a band trip to be in the rose bowl parade. He didn't get to go. He was really bummed.

dip
08-10-2007, 04:28 PM
wow - sleep walking! does he still have that problem, discovery channel or one of those learning channels recently did a show on that -- can be pretty dangerous.

yeah it's got me down quite a bit. i already had to back out of 2 major long distance rides scheduled so far; and now a couple more. most of my friends ride - so i feel pretty much like somebody with my face pressed up against the window, watching everyone else enjoy the ride...oh well - there is always next year<<that's what i say to myself in order to feel better. just watch the nomad will come out for 2008 with the exact color i wanted e.g. crimson red and black.

unwind2
08-10-2007, 04:35 PM
dip - He's 27 now married. I don't think he does it near as much now. When he was middle school age and teen he did it a lot. When we went on trips we had to put a chair against the motel door to keep him from walking out in the middle of the night.

There was several years ago a congressman from here in TN that died after sleeping walking out of a 2nd or 3rd story window.

vulcanvixen
08-11-2007, 12:00 AM
Hope an 'exalt' helps to cheer you up, Dip!!!!! It's no fun when you 'can't go out and play'.

lw
08-11-2007, 08:38 PM
little depressed right now; just cam from doc who says the healing is going rather slowly...thinks i'll be out for at least 3-4 months; hell it will be time to winterize bike by then.

Hang in there Missy, oh, and drink your milk/take your calcium, get 2nd opinion, etc.

jd
08-12-2007, 11:45 PM
I wear a beanie helmet most of the time in this Texas heat, but carry the 3/4 HJC with a flip-up shield on shorter trips when it looks like there's gonna be some weather. Long trips I wear a flight helmet a friend of mine gave me, with both clear and tinted eye shields. I've also got another flight helmet (B-47) I'm redoing, with just a tinted shield. The military mic and ear speakers work fine with a CB and stereo.

After a friend of mine's husband went headfirst into a telephone pole, and another went skidding across a median in pouring down rain in Oklahoma--both survived, both had helmets, the latter a flight helmet--I _very rarely_ ride without one.

Jim