PDA

View Full Version : Official Spring March 20th

glwilson
02-24-2009, 07:09 PM
If my math is correct; we have only 24 more days until it is officially spring.

March 20th officially marks the beginning of spring.

Although it is typically still too cool/cold to ride much where I live -- just knowing spring is getting closer is much needed relief for me. I am simply going nuts with the cold, snow, economy, work, and whatever else has been a pain in the @ss over the last 6 months!!

We had record snow this year -- twice the normal amount, nearly 60 inches. (I know some members in our area have seen a lot more than that -- but to me; 60 inches is too much)

Anyway... I definitely have spring fever and am ready to ride!!!

I am going to post some dates and ride-plans for the upcoming season within a few more weeks in the event anyone can get around to joining-in for the fun.

pirate
02-24-2009, 09:12 PM
Spring can't come soon enough up here. We've had approximately 72" of snow this winter, according to the tv weatherman. It will be a long time before I'm able to ride this spring. We haven't had this much snow since the winter of 96-97. Those of you down south, send up some heat!

biscuitsngravy
02-24-2009, 10:53 PM
I rode to town (about 50 miles round-trip) today, just to wash the grit off the Nomad. Any excuse to ride! It was about 56 degrees! Cold weather is still coming though. Can't wait for spring. Dave Mills aka BnG

01nomad
02-25-2009, 08:56 AM
I normally am riding the 2nd week of March. Maybe just once, but it keeps getting more often as the weeks pass. Has anyone seen the price of tires lately? Crap!!

phenrichs
02-26-2009, 08:50 AM
I rode to work yesterday to try out my new cobras and it was barely 40. Today is freezing rain and snow. I think next year maybe I will load up the Nomad and go camp in Trips front yard till spring.

glwilson
02-26-2009, 10:43 PM
Nice shirt BnG!! Looks good. I haven't ordered mine yet; but will shortly.

01Nomad: What happened to the price of tires? I have not been in the market for tires thus haven't seen what you may be talking about... let us know what's happening.

OP: you are always a "trooper"... riding when it is only 40 degrees... what are you nuts? Got to meet you at Custer... you have got to be riot. By the way... Trip's rent for the front lawn is "pricy"... don't know that for fact; but if I were him... I would charge a lot for anyone from the north to squat on my front lawn!!

Hey all of the rest of you... WAKE UP and let us know you're alive out there; and what you're up to. Several of you have been quiet lately; so post your thoughts please!!!

Last, but not least; the weather in our "region" will soon be changing to where we can begin to ride again; which promises to provide each of us the opportunity to forget the challenges our country is facing, as well as the challenges some of us are facing personally.

If anyone out there is struggling; please be sure to let us know... you never know who can help or how they can help. One thing for certain... it would at least allow you to vent your concerns on others that are part of a group with a common interest and an "ear" willing to listen.

To all... take care until spring where we can get back to what is most important to us.

Sincerely,

Greg

01nomad
02-27-2009, 08:19 AM
Greg: Someone posted a tire sale sometime back, a month or two, and the price was close (+$10) to what I had paid for me last rear tire. I'm thinking I'll have to replace before June and the prices are way up. My last Elite 3 160/80/16 cost me $130. and now they're $173.00 from the same place, Competition Assessories. At Dennis Kirk they are $219.00 and at J&P they are $170.00. + Tax. and shipping. It's cheaper to order them out-of-state and not pay the IA. tax and get free shipping. This is just for the rear tire. I replaced both in '07 so only need the rear this year. The front tires have also jumped in price. I have to hurry and buy them so they can knock the price down after I get them. Happens everytime!

phenrichs
02-27-2009, 08:36 AM
american motorcycle tire is where I got my cobras. The rear was $193. The elite3 is $182. Metz are cheap when they have them in stock.
http://www.americanmototire.com

glwilson
02-28-2009, 09:33 AM
Tire prices were likely affected by high oil prices when they were being made. I fortunately shouldn't need any this coming season.... but on the other hand... I can only hope I am able to wear out a set of tires!!! That would mean I was able to ride a lot.

01nomad
02-28-2009, 11:56 AM
OP: Thanks for the link. $156.65 is a better price yet! I have to order it before I find out how many $$ to get it here. A wagontrain would work for me! I don't want a tire rotting in the garage if I don't need it yet. I might get far enough to the back of the garage next week to see it. Going by my mileage I have 18000 miles on it now. I don't remember it looking bad and I look at my tires everytime before I ride it.

glwilson
03-04-2009, 10:40 PM
58 degrees expected tomorrow March 5th up here. I just may try to ride the bike to work tomorrow. I already warned the "boss" that I would not be wearing a suit if I do and he can fire me if he wants to -- but I don't care.

phenrichs
03-04-2009, 10:54 PM
Oh yeah it's supposed to get to mid 50s tomorrow. I am damn sure riding to work. I would have today but I had daycare duty.

glwilson
03-05-2009, 09:59 PM
Well... I didn't ride to work today... but the weather hit somewhere near 60 degrees here.

I saw an awful lot of bikes out on the way home -- a good site to see around here for once.

ponch
03-05-2009, 10:13 PM
I had to go to Carroll for work today. I put 175 miles on the bike today.

glwilson
03-06-2009, 06:44 PM
I had to go to Carroll for work today. I put 175 miles on the bike today.

That sounds great Ponch.

I could have ridden today; but didn't again. It was awful nice today.

I see where Scion0 got out for a ride in the Peoria, IL area this evening.

We are just around the corner for me to ride more consistently.

I plan on dusting-off the winter cob-webs this weekend to get my bike ready for riding.

Glad to hear about you guys getting out.

scion0
03-07-2009, 12:48 AM
Having fun here. Looks like rain is in the forecast for the weekend though.

glwilson
03-07-2009, 06:47 AM
Hey Mike... where have you been hiding-out?

Glad to see you posting again.

phenrichs
03-12-2009, 07:56 PM
I thought he said something awhile back about having to work and would out of touch for a bit. It has been quiet without him.

glwilson
03-12-2009, 08:00 PM
I think I made him mad or something.

glwilson
03-15-2009, 04:11 PM
5-days before official "spring". The weather up here is great today -- somewhere around 63 degrees. I took both bikes out from under their covers and started them. Both started perfectly without having had a battery-tender on them at all during the winter months. Dusted them off; and let them run for a half hour or so.

Rode both around the neighborhood for just a few minutes to check for anything out of the ordinary. Thankfully there wasn't anything apparently wrong.

I will be changing the oil and then cleaning and polishing them. I am ordering some PhatII risers. I am convinced they will help give me a more comforable ride. I'll need the 3-inch pullback they claim I'll get with them. (I didn't buy Chuckster's since his pullback isn't near as far. Sorry Chuck.)

Will also be ordering a couple fender-trim items; and the Powerplus outlet and GPS mount. Should have these here and installed within a week. That will be all I will buy for my Nomad; I like keeping it as stock as possible -- don't know why -- just do.

Then let the riding begin for this season -- weather permitting of course.

ponch
03-28-2009, 08:42 AM
Someone forgot to tell mother nature. It's snowing here.

pirate
03-28-2009, 03:11 PM
Yep, still cold here too. Haven't had the Nomad out yet because of the snowy streets. At least it's not flooding here like it is over in Fargo. I feel so badly for those people. Sounds like the levies are holding so far; hope it continues.

ponch
03-28-2009, 04:11 PM
We've had good weather already, so the snow is a setback, although nothing is sticking.

Yep, still cold here too. Haven't had the Nomad out yet because of the snowy streets. At least it's not flooding here like it is over in Fargo. I feel so badly for those people. Sounds like the levies are holding so far; hope it continues.

baddad
03-29-2009, 09:07 AM
NOT GOOD!! Woke up to 3+ inches of snow..... The only good thing is that the temp is going to get warm enough this week to melt it. Meanwhile time to go shovel.