PDA

View Full Version : Darkside question

Idaho
01-28-2009, 12:49 AM
I know this has been talked to death but I don't remember this aspect being discussed so bear with me. I was told today that insurance companies will not cover your bike if you have an accident attributed to a tire failure and you have a car tire on your bike. There was a guy here in east Idaho who had a car tire loose traction and he laid the bike down on a curve. His insurance company refused the $2000+ claim.

Anyone heard of this before?

pablo
01-28-2009, 06:30 AM
I'm sure insurance companies will use anything possible to keep from paying on a claim, so it doesn't surprise me that they would use the car tire as a reason not to pay. I had a $2700 claim paid on my bike when I hit a deer a couple of months ago. No problem with the car tire, but I didn't loose control or dump the bike. I suspect that if it is an accident that resulted from the rider loosing control, the insurance company may try to blame it on the car tire.

It seems like I read a post a few weeks ago where someone got paid for a claim, and the insurance company even replaced the car tire as part of the settlement.

meat
01-28-2009, 07:37 AM
I,ve never heard of that. I'm in the insurance business here in Illinois and I'm not aware of any restriction for the car tire in our policies. If you are insured with a company that looks for any reason not to pay a claim, I would be looking around. There is a thread I was reading the other day about Insurance premiums. Sometimes cheap is not always the best. This deal in Idaho may have involved one of those cheap premium policies. How cheap is it if your not covered when you need it?

gghost
01-28-2009, 08:35 AM
Thanks for the comment meat. Good info for all. Cheap not always the best way to go.

taranis
01-28-2009, 12:22 PM
I would fault the insurance company more that I would the choice of a CT, unless the insurance co has a study somewhere stating they're unsafe. I doubt they do.

Time to go shopping.

lonewolf
01-28-2009, 03:03 PM
wonder if they would deny a claim by one of those custom chopped down pickups if in an accident and the tires didnt say LT on them? think someone also mentioned in one thread that tires do not say for car or motorcycle use only. how bout homemade trikes? i think if a insurance co is gonna deny a claim, it better be written what is exempt! otherwise i believe they hav a pretty weak case for denying!