PDA

View Full Version : Harley cutting back

kenb
01-24-2009, 04:01 PM
http://www.latimes.com/business/la-fi-harley24-2009jan24,0,1832593.story

Guess they didn't sell enough Barbies.

dabull
01-24-2009, 04:10 PM
i would imagine we will see alot of this from all businesses until the economy rebounds...

jonsamson
01-24-2009, 07:40 PM
I don't own one, but I hate to hear of people loosing their jobs, and I would hate even more to have an American ICON disappear.

borto1990
01-24-2009, 10:27 PM
I wonder how the metric cruiser companies are doing. At half the price (for some) you really get the most bang for the buck in my opinion. when I went to the 2008 blessing of the bikes in baldwin for the first time, my riding buddies said this was the first year they think the metrics out numbered the HD's. My search for an 08 brand new nomad for 10K is a huge reason I am choosing this bike. stock it has all I would NEED.. Sure I may want more but she comes pretty well equipted IMHO. My first bike was my 04 vulcan 750 2 years ago and it amazed me how much some of my harley riding friends had into their bikes. I could have bought 10 of my vulcans!!! Some of their buddies snubbed me on my metric decision, however I was quick to tell them we all shared the same wind!!!

dkdixie
01-24-2009, 10:40 PM
I wonder how the metric cruiser companies are doing. At half the price (for some) you really get the most bang for the buck in my opinion. when I went to the 2008 blessing of the bikes in baldwin for the first time, my riding buddies said this was the first year they think the metrics out numbered the HD's. My search for an 08 brand new nomad for 10K is a huge reason I am choosing this bike. stock it has all I would NEED.. Sure I may want more but she comes pretty well equipted IMHO. My first bike was my 04 vulcan 750 2 years ago and it amazed me how much some of my harley riding friends had into their bikes. I could have bought 10 of my vulcans!!! Some of their buddies snubbed me on my metric decision, however I was quick to tell them we all shared the same wind!!!

Being an X-Harley owner I can say this......and you can pass it on to your riding buds.

"90% of all Harley's made are still on the road"......(be sure to pause here cause they'll agree)

"The other 10% made it home!!" :) :)

markusmaximus
01-25-2009, 12:00 AM
Being an X-Harley owner I can say this......and you can pass it on to your riding buds.

"90% of all Harley's made are still on the road"......(be sure to pause here cause they'll agree)

"The other 10% made it home!!" :) :)

Well done. Nice set up. :)

dhomoney
01-25-2009, 12:19 AM
Markus,

I think the definition is wrong in your sig. I thought it was:

liberal - n. One who is generous with the money earned by others; one who favors greater freedom, so long as the freedom is politically correct and isn't religious freedom.

LIBERAL
suggests one who thinks they are free from prejudice or narrow thinking, but likes to silence all discourse that is opposed to their own, defining it as hate speech or politically incorrect.

Funny how the "Ant." portion just goes to show you that the former portions just aren't true. Which is typical of liberals.

jamiep24
01-25-2009, 05:20 PM
I have a good idea of why......... I can't afford to browse in a Harley shop...We, as Americans, sure are proud of what we build...Too bad most can't afford 'em....One of the reviews that led me to decide on a Nomad was on the Kawasaki website and a new owner said that he had been saving for a Harley for years and that he finally got tired of saving, so he went out and bought twice the bike for half the price!!!!!!!!

mac
01-26-2009, 01:53 PM
Markus, great sig line.

phenrichs
01-26-2009, 05:34 PM
The reason I bought my Nomad was a 3 part. I wanted a touring bike without going full dresser so I looked at available models. The big 3 - Venture, Nomad, Road King. the Vent and King had cruise, Venture and Nomad were liquid, The venture was out right away for being only a 1300. Then it was no brainer, Nomad was liquid = a +1, shaft drive = a +1, and it I could buy 2 Nomads for the price of a Road King and drive them twice as long.

Oops, I forgot part 4, I didn't have to conform to the HD politics. I have never had the balls to ask but always wanted to ask,
When I buy a new HD and I get my complimentary HOG membership for a year do insert the stick in my ass and provide the upity attitude or does the owner's manual instruct me how to do it myself?

Maybe it comes with the overpriced service plan.

Cajunrider
01-27-2009, 10:46 PM
Going to "Bike Night" at Mike Bruno's Bayou Country Harley this Thursday night. They are hosting a blood drive. Good opportunity to talk with Harley owners and brag about my Nomad.

dhomoney
01-27-2009, 11:08 PM
Terre,

Just make sure to talk with the Heritage and Road King guys and let them know what you paid for your bike, than send them on their way. :)

Cajunrider
01-28-2009, 08:55 PM
I was there again today. Looked at a Pearl White Screamin Eagle Ultra. Wow, what a beauty. The sales guy wants me to come by tomorrow morning and test ride one of the '09 Ultras. I told him I'm not buying now but he wants me to come by anyway to look at my Nomad and give me a price on it. I may check it out just to test ride one but I'm not buying now. I've put nearly 1 grand in accessories on the Nomad and would never get that money back. I want to keep her a couple more years or more anyway.

cactusjack
02-04-2009, 06:56 AM
Harley's financial arm just received a $600 million infusion, split equally by Warren Buffet (Berkshire Hathaway) and Davis Selected Advisors (HD's largest shareholder).

kenb
02-04-2009, 09:44 AM
http://www.fool.com/investing/general/2009/02/03/2-star-stocks-poised-to-plunge-harley-davidson.aspx

"Even with a new lower priced model being introduced I just do not see how this will pull the company up out of the slaughter house line. Polaris (PII) making the Victory motorcycles leaves the HD line in the dust and are gaining market share. The crusier market is definitely a baby boomer market and the boomers are aging looking to retirement savings preservation, not looking to spend big money on old aging technology"

lw
02-04-2009, 11:33 AM
http://www.fool.com/investing/general/2009/02/03/2-star-stocks-poised-to-plunge-harley-davidson.aspx

"Even with a new lower priced model being introduced I just do not see how this will pull the company up out of the slaughter house line. Polaris (PII) making the Victory motorcycles leaves the HD line in the dust and are gaining market share. The crusier market is definitely a baby boomer market and the boomers are aging looking to retirement savings preservation, not looking to spend big money on old aging technology"

That part comes later, when HD gets an additional infusion with the designation as the Nation's only "green" bike builder. Plug-in and fuel cell bikes are right around the corner. . .