PDA

View Full Version : Home made lowers...

trip
06-16-2007, 09:42 PM
bluetongue,
Nice lowers you made...let me know if they work for you.

Trip

http://www.kawanow.org/misc/kevinrunnels800.jpg

bluetongue
06-16-2007, 09:57 PM
Trip, the lowers do help with the wind buffeting, almost to well for the summer they seem to cut all the wind flow off.
I made a smaller set which I am going to install this weekend.
I am hoping they help the wind buffeting but allow some air in to help cool me down on the hot days. I will post the results soon.

trip
06-17-2007, 06:16 PM
I've never removed my stock lowers, but have considered getting some larger ones for the winter. Does it effect your gas mileage any?

bluetongue
06-17-2007, 08:09 PM
I have not noticed any major mileage change since I put the larger lowers on but then I have not really paid much attention.

tconnell
06-20-2007, 12:36 PM
I also made up some larger lowers from the pattern I got from Gadget's site. Used some .220 Lexan from Home Depot, taped two square pieces together and cut them out on the band saw.

Sanded the edges to a round shape and drilled the holes using the existing mounting hardware. Use a good sharp bit for the holes and it's a good idea to very slightly counter sink each side so a crack won't likely start. Job took less than 1½ hours to do.

After installing them there is less buffeting on my helmet. I also have a set of Desert Dawgs that fit over the front engine guards that do wonders in the fall and winter. Things, including the engine, get too hot down here in the summer so they have to come off.

Images of the larger lowers are on the 'My Bike' thread.

bluetongue
06-20-2007, 03:42 PM
Nice job on the lowers.

Top Cat
07-09-2007, 01:55 PM
I bought lowers exactly like the ones in the first picture in this thread. I didn't like the way they looked. WAYYYY to big. I cut them down with my jig saw and they work just as good now as they did before downsizing.
If I knew how to post a picture I would show you how they look.

bluetongue
07-09-2007, 03:56 PM
I have made several versions. The ones pictured above I will use in the winter. I have not found a shape I really like yet. I have been experimenting with some 1/8'' plexi I had laying around until I can come up with a final shape.

mtpockets1600
07-26-2007, 07:05 PM
Just an alternative for the tinkerers.
Living up here in the great white north I need 3 sizes of lowers.
I used the pattern from Gadget's site for the fall and early spring. I use two wedge shaped sizes, (without the cutout for the crash bar), for spring and summer.
The only difference is that I used thin aluminum plate, cut to shape with my jig saw. Then used a 4.5" grinder with a tiger wheel, fine grit, to smooth the edges and sand the faces so that the finish matched the lower fork tubes. Kind of a brushed aluminum look. They look very sharp. I have gotten many compliments on their looks. Oh they are functional too!
I will try to take some pics and post them soon.
By the way, a tiger wheel is a metal sanding wheel or disk with little overlapping flaps of abrasive around the disk.
Bob

blowndodge
07-26-2007, 11:36 PM
I've never removed my stock lowers, but have considered getting some larger ones for the winter. Does it effect your gas mileage any?

Robert, I have the ones made by Edmond Interprises on Gadget's sit and there is no different in the gas mileage. The only downfall is that you can get into super ticket speed real quick! I've "accidentally" cruised at 100 for over two hours because of the difference in helmet buffeting! The difference is night and day.

A Gold Wing buddy of mine was surprised that we (I) did the "ton" with no problem. Lowers make a bigger difference that a oversize fairing by a large margin!

Brad.