PDA

View Full Version : Ride Like a Pro

timebandit
01-08-2009, 08:41 PM
Who as seen his video and who as taken his course?

http://ridelikeapro.com/ourcart/index.php?main_page=popup_image&pID=1

Also as anybody ever used these?

http://www.pro-guards.com/Photo_Page.php
http://i374.photobucket.com/albums/oo183/Time-Bandit-Nomad/proguard.jpg

Cajunrider
01-08-2009, 10:00 PM
The video is a great learning tool. I plan on taking the course some time this year.

goldstar225
01-08-2009, 10:37 PM
I bought the RLAP 4 video a little over a year ago. Applying the techniques helped me get down to a 17-18' circle on my C-50, still working on it with my Nomad. Good basic technique that really give you control over the bike at low speed. One of our members here, Dan Lund, has posted some videos demonstrating his ability with the Nomad.

kenb
01-08-2009, 10:58 PM
I have RLaP V. One of the best riding improving videos. The best $40 I spent on the bike so far.

As for the "guard guards" Get some automotive heater hose and zip tie them to your guards. But if having the bike look good while weaving in and out of cones/tennis balls in a parking lot as people go by thinking "what is that person doing" is a priority, then get 'em. An extra preventive measure would be to remove the bags as well.

I think if I had special guards on my guards, people would think I am expecting to go over.

Confidence in what you are doing will prevent going over. I found that practicing alone keeps focus sharp. No one to impress or be nervous because they are watching. No pressure, at your own pace. JMHO

rickyboy
01-08-2009, 11:49 PM
I also bought the RLAP V. recently. I watched it a few times but because the bike is off the road for the winter, I haven't tried to put any of the knowledge to use yet but looking fwd. to the spring.I did buy some heater hose and strapped it to the bars. Doesn't look so good but who gives a crap. It'll be just me and my Nomad out there in the theater parking lot come spring.

MarkG
01-10-2009, 03:58 PM
I bought the DVD, then I took the course last year in May. Did a write up in this section so it shouldn't be too hard to find if you search for it. Enjoyed every minute of it. Definitely taught me how to handle the Nomad better. I rented one of their beater bikes (retired PD bikes with a lot of dents and dings) when I took the course in Los Angeles. I think it made it much easier since I wasn't worried about bending mine. It was definitely worth it for me.

glwilson
01-13-2009, 06:47 PM
I went ahead and ordered the "Ride Like A Pro" video and a set of guards. What the heck; if it makes me better -- all the better it will be.

Thanks for the heads-up.

Greg

pagemastr
01-18-2009, 09:12 PM
I am waiting on Gary in MI to schedule his classes. I am on his mailing list. Showed the video to my sister and she is considering riding up with me from Ky.

Bad part there: she is a (retired) professional athlete... hope she doesn't show up her older brother! She has taken the BRC and liked it They didn't have them when i started riding but looking forward to it.

Head and eyes... yup... I have looked my way right into a drop before and the video makes sense enough to be willing to suck it up and admit some shortcomings.

jd01
01-19-2009, 08:24 PM
I have RLAP 4 and then bought RLAP For The Ladies for my wife, then found out both were similar and covered much of the same things. The RLAP dvds have good informative tips and worth purchasing at least one of them, if it's just to learn how to do the "fiction zone". :)

glwilson
01-20-2009, 07:41 PM
Well... I received the DVR today. Plan on running through a bit of it tonight.

Hopefully it provides some good information to improve my techniques.

To be frank... it probably won't take too much to provide me with improvement -- but either way; I'll report back once I have looked through it.

Greg

coacha
01-20-2009, 08:52 PM
I have RLAP4 and watch it on occasion. Jerry lives not too far from me in New Port Richey, FL. One of the area riding clubs meets at the parking lot where he filmed some of his videos once every couple months to practice. One of the guys rides with him at some of his shows. Great information and techniques.

dantama
01-21-2009, 09:59 AM
I have RLAP4 and watch it on occasion. Jerry lives not too far from me in New Port Richey, FL. One of the area riding clubs meets at the parking lot where he filmed some of his videos once every couple months to practice. One of the guys rides with him at some of his shows. Great information and techniques.

I only saw it last year, but I certainly agreed with what it has to offer.

I'm wishing that I lived by the group you are talking about.

glwilson
01-22-2009, 11:07 PM
I have completed viewing the first half of the RLAP video. I have yet to go through the "motor-officer" portion yet. Evidently it is the more advanced "excercises" of the lessons.

I can't wait to try some of the exercises out this spring.

It looks as if a fair amount of wear-and-tear is required on your clutch and rear brake to do these exercises. But; much of it makes sense. Some of it I was surprised I was already performing -- however I have a long way to go yet.

For those considering the DVR; I believe it is worth it for the price. The consolidated Ride Like A Pro version covers most all you need. He states in the video that it is a compilation of several of his previous videos.

MarkG
01-22-2009, 11:49 PM
When first starting these techniques it is suggested that you do frequent run outs to cool things down during your practice sessions. I was using more clutch and harder on the brake in the beginning, too. After doing it for almost a year, it is amazing how light a touch on the brake and clutch is needed to do the turns properly.

glwilson
01-24-2009, 09:16 AM
Markg; I took note of his comments on that. He said about every ten minutes. They do make it look easy; especially when their wives demonstrate the maneuvers.
These women are small and easily handle these big bikes -- which is his point in the "lessons".

Anyway... as stated... can't wait to work on them. That unfortunately won't occur for at least another eight weeks or more for me.

coacha
01-26-2009, 10:45 PM
I know some of you are going to be looking for cones and such to use but here is an idea...see if a local high school or tennis instructor has some old tennis balls they can give you. Cut them in half and they make great markers.

timebandit
01-26-2009, 10:52 PM
I know some of you are going to be looking for cones and such to use but here is an idea...see if a local high school or tennis instructor has some old tennis balls they can give you. Cut them in half and they make great markers.

Your local Dollar Store usually as them of very cheap!

rickyboy
01-28-2009, 05:39 AM
Don't forget that when/if you order RLAP, you should mention you belong to KawaNOW. They'll take $5.00 bucks off.

kenb
01-28-2009, 10:02 PM

A Dollar? Right? http://s2.images.proboards.com/grin.gif

timebandit
01-28-2009, 10:18 PM

A Dollar? Right? http://s2.images.proboards.com/grin.gif

On 2 for 1 day it's 50 cents each! http://s2.images.proboards.com/shocked.gif

glwilson
02-01-2009, 06:32 PM
Don't forget that when/if you order RLAP, you should mention you belong to KawaNOW. They'll take $5.00 bucks off.

Now you tell me. Already got my copy.

glwilson
02-09-2009, 09:50 PM
Okay... I finally got through the entire "RLP" video.

It provides a lot of good information throughout the DVR; however most of the bike-control skills needed to perform the maneuvers are all found within the first few minutes of the DVR.

The rest of it is just a series of obstacle course setups to practice the bike-control; and the bike & line-of-sight positioning. (All combined are critical in handling a heavy bike in tight maneuvers.)

When the weather breaks I will practice these skills. I am sure they will be helpful and make me a safer rider.

ridemslow
02-28-2009, 10:49 AM
Empty plastic soda pop bottles work just as well. You can paint them orange if you need the real feel of cones. http://s2.images.proboards.com/grin.gif

rickyboy
02-28-2009, 04:30 PM

Check your local Walmart. The Bellingham WA store has small, thin, {4"-5"dia.} fluorescent, low profile, type cones, 4 for something like $3.99. They stack nicely, and can be tossed easily into your trunk or saddlebag when you head to your local theater or shopping mall parking lot to practice. Just another idea.
Here's a link to an online store that has them. They're cheap!! You can get a deal on 10 or 20 here...

http://www.amazon.com/Gamecraft-Low-Profile-Field-Cones-EA/dp/B0000AOENN

ridemslow
02-28-2009, 06:40 PM
Good post here too. Cheap enough to not break the bank. worth looking into.

Check your local Walmart. The Bellingham WA store has small, thin, {4"-5"dia.} fluorescent, low profile, type cones, 4 for something like $3.99. They stack nicely, and can be tossed easily into your trunk or saddlebag when you head to your local theater or shopping mall parking lot to practice. Just another idea.
Here's a link to an online store that has them. They're cheap!! You can get a deal on 10 or 20 here...

http://www.amazon.com/Gamecraft-Low-Profile-Field-Cones-EA/dp/B0000AOENN

nighthawk700
03-04-2009, 05:56 AM
I finally got the video, and watched it while at the blood/platelet donor center. Wow, good stuff! Now if the snow would kindly melt, and the temps get above the 20s, I'd actually like to try some of it out! For those who did it in the past, how hard is it to set up his exercises? I can't see bringing a tape measure and walking around setting all that up, I'd probably try to pace things off.

I got the combo pack with his Dragon video. That one really wasn't worth it. Some tips for riding the Dragon, but mostly common sense (with admittedly isn't all that common at times). Not that it was bad, but I thought they'd go more into techniques.

rickyboy
03-04-2009, 06:52 AM
I finally got the video, and watched it while at the blood/platelet donor center. Wow, good stuff! Now if the snow would kindly melt, and the temps get above the 20s, I'd actually like to try some of it out! For those who did it in the past, how hard is it to set up his exercises? I can't see bringing a tape measure and walking around setting all that up, I'd probably try to pace things off.

I got the combo pack with his Dragon video. That one really wasn't worth it. Some tips for riding the Dragon, but mostly common sense (with admittedly isn't all that common at times). Not that it was bad, but I thought they'd go more into techniques.

I also got the deal when you purchase two DVD's. I took the "Surviving the Mean Streets". Not bad but I thought a lot was common sense. For anyone just getting started it would be good.
Like you nighthawk, as soon as I finish getting the bike ready for the road. {new tires, swing arm, insurance, etc.} I'll be taking the cones, tape measure, and some kids sidewalk chalk,...along with the laptop and DVD, to the local theater parking lot to practice. Don't forget to put some heater hose on the crash bars.

nighthawk700
03-04-2009, 06:36 PM
Don't forget to put some heater hose on the crash bars.

Hmmmm, where would I find that anyway? Home Depot? Yeah, I'm not much the mechanical type. :-/

rickyboy
03-05-2009, 05:39 AM
Don't forget to put some heater hose on the crash bars.

Hmmmm, where would I find that anyway? Home Depot? Yeah, I'm not much the mechanical type. :-/

That's where I got mine nighthawk.

caper
04-24-2009, 04:50 PM
I took an advanced drivers course last year ...Learned alot and it saved my ass a few times and don't ever think you know it all , you should be alwasy learning!!

pagemastr
04-25-2009, 05:29 AM
Took a WINDY ride from Cols. OH to Michigan for a RLAP class this morning. Taking the bags off just in case http://s2.images.proboards.com/cheesy.gif but really looking forward to it. Will let you know how everything went when I get back home tonight!