PDA

View Full Version : Nomad VS....

borto1990
01-07-2009, 09:27 PM
a stratoliner.. I was in totally thinking of upgrading from my vn750 to the 08 1600 nomad. Joined this site (great by the way) and have been poking around for a few days. Still thinking of a nomad I went to local KAW dealer and they had a freakin used stratoliner next to the nomad. it's an S model. chrome everything. It's an 06 with 10K for a grand less than the new nomad. Now I know little about the nomad, but have been looking at them on line and here for about a month. I know zero of the stratoliner. I was hoping one of the many people here might know someone that had one, or could compare them to the nomad. Thanks...

timebandit
01-07-2009, 09:35 PM
This is a 3 year old bike for only $1000 less? I got the dealer to bring the nad down $700 within 1.5 hours of dealing!

I personally would stick to the nomad.

Netnorske
01-07-2009, 09:55 PM
First off Borto....welcome from the great State of Washington!

I bought a new 2008 Nomad last July after doing exhaustive research on a lot of bikes. There wasn't any one thing that led me to the Nomad, but rather combination of many things.

First and foremost was this....fuel injection, liquid cooled and shaft driven. Add to that the beautiful (and functional) hard bags and you have a winner. Tough to find that combo on any other bike.

As you read here and in looking at the links....there are countless mods you can do to these bikes to increase comfort and performance. I have about 4K on mine already and I have enjoyed every mile...with hopefully about 60K more to go!

I sat on (did not ride) the Stratoliner....as well as all the other Yamaha's....but the comfort factor alone on the Nomad kept me coming back to it. Add in the other great features....and....WHAT ARE YOU THINKING....BUY THE FREAKING NOMAD... http://s2.images.proboards.com/shocked.gif http://s2.images.proboards.com/shocked.gif http://s2.images.proboards.com/grin.gif.

We're not biased here or anything...... ;) Good luck.... http://s2.images.proboards.com/grin.gif

Top Cat
01-07-2009, 10:31 PM
;) Your on a Nomad site. Do you really think we are going to reccomend anything else ???

paul
01-07-2009, 10:56 PM
Since June a friend and fellow rider of mine and myself, have been conducting our own little poll based on a conversation we had after spending some time helping another friend try to pick a bike. I own the Nomad and a Honda Sabre. My biker friend has owned a number of bikes from cruisers to crotch rockets. We really have no brand loyalty, but rather look for value, comfort, power or just whatever machine has the most to offer for the type of riding we want to be doing with said machine.

Since our non riding friend is not too mechanical right now (he will learn in time like we all are) we were thinking in terms of dependability as a priority for him. What we noticed after looking at a LOT of sources, print, craig's list, E-bay, local papers, etc. our observation was and still is some 7 - 8 months later that there are thousands of used Harley's for sale out there, hundreds of Hondas, Yamahas, and others, but virtually no Nomads or for that matter Vulcans in the 1500/1600 class. What that said to us was that people buy and keep these things. Why? I can only guess, but certainly not because they don't like them. One thing I've seen in my time in the bike community is that if someone is unhappy with their bike they can't sell it fast enough.

So, think it over, keep looking and ride em if you can. But DON"T get excited over the bike with the most chrome. Bling is easy to add and a lot of fun too, because it makes that bike Your special ride.

borto1990
01-07-2009, 10:57 PM
come on now!! not looking for recomendations.... Just wondering if anyone had the chance to experience the stratoliner. My buddy is pushing me at that, my head is saying nomad. As netnorske stated, I like the feeling of the nomad. (thanks for the welcome by the way) However I was curious on the stratoliner price tag. with added mods would have put the bike closer to 20K. I know it doesn't make it better, just wonderin! Hey, one more question. My Kaw dealer said the only difference in the 1600 classic and nomad was accessories.. is this true?

hollywood
01-08-2009, 12:03 AM
My best friend has a Classic so I have had a chance to ride both. The classic is basically the same bike without the extras. However, there are some major differences. The suspension for one. It's more sporty than the Nomad. There is a difference in the tire sizes (stock). My Nomad is much more comfortable than her Classic and much smoother. She put a Kuryakyn Hyper Charger on it and it sticks out enough to make your knee be at an un-natural angle. Glad I rode hers before that mod caught my eye. For being basically the same bike there is a huge difference in them

Besides - by the time you add all the extras that are on the nomad - you could have just bought the Nomad and saved some money.

schoeney
01-08-2009, 01:22 AM
Hi Borto and welcome aboard!

First regarding the Classic...compare all the stock extras to the Nomad....I am pretty sure the Classic has spoke wheels...look nice but alot more difficult to clean. In addition to the accessories look at the seat height and dimesions. I think there are some slight differences.

I can speak to several issues as it relates to the Stratoliner S as my next door neighbor (who got me back into the bike game) has an 07 (I think the same as 06 except 06 bags were not standard equipment) Stratoliner S that he bought new.

Here is what the stock Strato S has over the Nomad.

1-More torque, HP (faster and quicker if that is what you need)
2-Tachometer
3-Quick Release bags and windshield

Here is what the stock Nomad has over the Stratoliner.

1-Passenger floorboards
2-Hardbags with more interior room. (I think alot better looking bags too) I can get to my stuff easier due to side load but he can open his while riding (can you say dangerous?)
3-Shaft vs belt drive (some think shaft is an advantage...your call..I prefer shaft).
4-Water cooled vs. air cooled (water cooled should result in longer engine life due to cooler temps).
5-Engine guard (this is a must for pegs, engine guard chaps, and protection against drops/slides)
6-Self adjusting valves
7-Bigger gas tank (my Buddy has to stop about 40 miles before I do)
8- Better MPG (slightly)
9-Adjustable (2 ways) rear shocks
10- Lowers (Strato has none)
11- Chrome Bag guards vs. none (protection again)
11- The KawaNOw family !!

Both bikes are very reliable, rated very high in reviews, both go plenty fast for most people, we can debate comfort...I do know my buddy is looking for an aftermarket seat...mainly because his wife complains about the rear seat comfort but he says the rider seat is fine.

The Strato stock pipes are very loud for stock pipes...I prefer quieter pipes on long rides but others like the louder pipes...personal preference. I do like the Strato wheels better.

I think both bikes are great bikes and would be proud to own either...so you can't make a mistake if both are new...just be careful with a used bike. Not sure if warranties are the same?

Good Luck!

schoeney
01-08-2009, 01:28 AM
Oh...one other thing. My buddy did have to take his bike in under warranty to get some defective chrome (pitting) replaced....so make sure you take a close look at all chrome parts. He has 10,000 miles on his now.

dank
01-08-2009, 08:32 AM
I looked at the Stratoliner too, and really liked the looks, trim, and balance of the bike. Nice bike, and much faster. I think Schoeney summed it up well. The big one for me was the difference in range. Smaller tank (4.5 gallons) and most report slightly lower mpg on the Stratoliner. High price to pay if you are really using it as a tourer. Nomads are marginal on this; because of the small tank I find the Stratoliner's range unacceptable. Nice bike if you just want to run around country roads for a few miles on Saturday afternoon, but the are lots of nice bikes for that. However, that size tank comes up short if you are heading cross country and hit a headwind.

Get a Nomad. You'll love it! (In fairness, the Nomad does lower my average miles ridden per hour because of the number of people who come over to ask me what type of bike it is and comment on how great it looks when I stop for gas. Is that a negative we've missed for the Nomad? http://s2.images.proboards.com/grin.gif)

kawbuc
01-08-2009, 09:28 AM
I have had several bikes. Triumphs , Harleys , Motoguzi , BSA , A 900 Vulcan and now my Nomad. Never had a Stratoliner. Out of all the bikes i have had , the Nomad is the best. Cant say a bad thing about it.
Good luck on your choice and i hope its a Nad.

taranis
01-08-2009, 09:29 AM
I've looked at the Strat too about a year ago. They are fantastic bikes - the 1700 powerplant is very smooth, especially at highway speeds. As for rideability, the Strat is outstanding on twisties, even for such a big cruiser. Yamaha did their homework here, and IMO, it outshines the Nomad in this category. It has quite a bit more pep than the Nomad too - both off the line and roll on at highway speed.

Maintenance-wise, I believe you will need to get the valve lifters adjusted every 5-7000 miles on the Strat vs the self-adjusting hydraulics of the Nomad. If the bike is properly broke-in, you might be able to go longer between intervals, it depends. But this doesn't mean the engine and drivetrain on the Nomad doesn't have it's share of maintenance. The Strat's belt drive is very good - quiet, easy to adjust and simple to maintain, my preference over the Nomad's shaft bearing and swingarm lube needs.

The windshield on the Strat is also non-adjustable, but I THINK it's a quick-release. The Nomad's adjustable, but not quick-release. Regardless, test-ride long and hard before you buy if wind protection is a concern.

The bags on the Strat, IMO, leave a lot to be desired. They seem to be more for show than for storage. The Nomad's are much bigger, and built better. I use my bike for a lot of long-distance riding, so the ability to pack gobs of stuff was a major "must have" for me. As much as I like the Strat, the bags were a big turn-off.

You can't go wrong with either bike, and we here will extol the virtues of the Nomad for as long as you want. :) The Nomad isn't great at any one thing, IMO. But it is very good at almost everything.

Don't let your friend's peer pressure dictate to you what to buy. It's YOUR ride, and YOU'RE going to be the one paying for it. Get what "feels" right to you.

phenrichs
01-08-2009, 09:59 AM
I spent a year comparing bikes. I looked at the venture, road king (only for comparison), strato, and nomad, The nomad won. About a month after I got the nad a coworker bought a strat and after seeing first hand I am soooooooo glad I didn't buy one. First if you are tall the riding postition is uncomfortable. The bars are too short and the way they have the bars mounted prevents any kind of riser (unless someone has made one special), The heel shifter is only about 1.5 inches wide and is smooth chrome. The bags are oddly shaped on the interior and wouldn't fit a laptop. I know that because the guy that bought it was pissed when he tried and failed. One nice feature is that the detachable windshield and backrest require the key so they are locked. Oh yeah smaller tank with less range than Nomad. So for power, comfort, customizing, range, and price the Nomad was a lock for me.

dantama
01-08-2009, 10:30 AM
one more question. My Kaw dealer said the only difference in the 1600 classic and nomad was accessories.. is this true?

The Nomad vs the classic...the dealer got it way wrong.

The Nomad has a beefed up frame to let it handle more load.
It has a way higher alternator to handle more accessories, plus has the extra plug in leads.
It has a different front end geometry.
Then it has the accessories like the dealer said.

One thing not mentioned about the Nomad over the Yamaha, we can get 6 years of unlimited mileage warranty. I like that, and it keeps me coming back to Nomads (that and the good looks and all around competence).

I could make do with about any bike, but the Nomad does so many things well that it becomes an all around good bike for me.

borto1990
01-08-2009, 12:08 PM
thanks for all the input.. thanks Dan for the classic vs nomad. I really am disliking my kaw dealer. might have to make a run more towards detroit or something. the guy wouldn't tell me anything.. I could hear the crickets! Thanks again to all.. I think my search is still on for the nomad!

dougster
01-08-2009, 12:17 PM
My best friend has a Classic so I have had a chance to ride both. The classic is basically the same bike without the extras. However, there are some major differences. The suspension for one. It's more sporty than the Nomad. There is a difference in the tire sizes (stock). My Nomad is much more comfortable than her Classic and much smoother. She put a Kuryakyn Hyper Charger on it and it sticks out enough to make your knee be at an un-natural angle. Glad I rode hers before that mod caught my eye. For being basically the same bike there is a huge difference in them

I would add that there is a difference in the brakes, as well. Nomad has dual calipers on the front.

moon
01-08-2009, 01:18 PM
Everyone over looks on key item, whats it going to cost for maintance on the Yammy as compaired to Nomad. Can you do the tune ups yourself or will the dealer get your bucks to do it. The Nomad only requires basic stuff, Do you have to adjust the Strats valves or are they automatic like the Nomad. If it goes to the dealer get out your check book. You just can not beat a Nomad.

dabull
01-09-2009, 06:12 PM
I liked the stratoliner look as well....but there was something about the exhaust that made me question what I was thinking...found the Nad, and am glad I didn't jump on the Strat....

01-11-2009, 03:56 AM
borto. Last summer I had the opportunity to ride my Nomad and an 08 Strat back to back for several hundred miles. Hear are my thoughts:

Pro's

-Great Great motor. Yamaha has an awesome motor.
-Hard bags are nice, not as roomy as the Nomad's but good. Yamaha should offer them in color match - I don't like the black personally.
-TONS of torque
-Belt drive. A lot of folks (particularly on this site) really believe the shaft is great. After having both styles and currently owning an '03 Nomad I personally wish it was a belt. Belt is equally as reliable anymore, quieter, and just puts the power down better.
- Handling. The aluminnum chassis is a dream as always handles like my warrior did.
- The quick release features are really nice.

Here are my cons of the Strat

- Price - good lord Yamaha is in HD's price range with this thing
- Worthless windshield
- This bike needs a 6th gear SOOOO bad. Consequently it vibrates badly at highway speeds.
- Styling. It looks great now, but I typically keep my bikes for a long period of time. When this bike is 10 years old, it will look....dated. I think the styling of the Nomad will always look good.
- Handlebars. You will feel like you are driving an eighteen wheeler the bars are incredibly wide. I have yet to sit on a stock Yamaha that they have gotten the ergos right.
- Torquey motor. You will go through tires on this bike. I know I had a Warrior that was very similar. Consequently with all the torque it makes, you go through tires quickly, even if your gentle with it. If you plan on doing a lot of touring, add the price of a rear to your budget every year and a half.

If you are one of those guys that have to have big displacement, buy the Yamaha. When it comes to bang for the buck the Nomad beats it hand down. If your concerned about your 1/4 mile time buy the strat. Off the floor, the Nomad comes with a ton more chrome and features for quite a bit less. I consider the Stratoliner more of a "pretender" when it comes to touring and traveling. Many of its features are actually a hinderence to being a touring bike. Go to Corbins site and look at the strat with the Corbing package. A great looking bike with the fairing and color matched bags but that makes the bike a spendy little item. Yamaha's motors do surpass Harley in the sound department. Plan on adding bar risers right away to the Strat. I'm 6'3" and built like and built like a monkey. I still have trouble with the reach. Other than that, ride 'em both and pick the one you like the best. Good luck.

dogdoc
01-11-2009, 06:19 PM
borto: BUY NOMAD, you won't be sorry. Its the BEST bike for the $$.

Doc, BTW welcome.

racinchef
01-11-2009, 08:48 PM
I road tested the Stratoliner twice and though I was very impressed with it I still prefer my 2000 carberuted Nomad. I also owned a 2000 Valkyrie Standard with leather bags and OEM windshield and I traded it in for my Nomad; it is that good. I have never owned as good a bike as the Nomad and I will be hard pressed to find one that I enjoy riding more. The Nomad is more than the sum of its parts and features; it is fun to ride, is great on the highway mile after mile and delivers satisfaction every time I hop on it and take it for a ride. The only thing in my mind better than my Nomad is my Nomad with fresh new chrome on it and a pretty lady on the back.

billmac
01-11-2009, 08:57 PM
I looked hard at the Strat too. I think the strat S is a beautiful bike. Makes most bikes look like toys. I did not like the small gas tank and air cooled. The saddle bags are the ugliest I have seen. I am glad I got the Nomad, especially after reading all of this Strato info on this thread.

caddman11
01-12-2009, 07:54 PM
How often do you get the shot at a NEW bike?

01-20-2009, 12:32 AM
One last thing I'll mention about this, if you are really wanting a good comparision bike to the nomad, I think you have to look at the Royal Star Tour Deluxe. It's the only other touring bike I almost bought when I purchased my Nomad. The motor is a considerably different feel, but it has all the quick release stuff the Strat has, a more useable touring motor, cruise control, better bags, and roughly close in price.